Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Addicted still?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Addicted still?

I caught a "pill seeking" family member taking unprescribed(to him) prednisone and he is a heavy drinker AND he is a supposed recovering opiod addict? What are all the dangers with him doing this. Someone please respond quickly !? I checked the pill he bottle said 20 mg two times a day (SO I KNOW HE TOOK TWO)and the pills are 20 mg each. They also had DAN DAN written on them.

Thank You
Prednisone is a steroid and is used more for allergies, poison ivy and inflammation like with rhumatoid arthritis.  They are not a medication that people want to just take recreationally.  DAN DAN is the manufacturer's mark.  Your family member needs to be careful because Prednisone, if taken for a few days - cannot be stopped suddenly and it must be tapered back.  I would question this family member to find out why hey took the medication and get rid of it and the person it was prescribed to does not need it any longer.
Prednisone is just a steroid. There's not really any inherent danger in him taking them. Just weird that he took them. He may have thought they were opiates. My question is if you knew he took them, why didn't you ask him why?
steroids are not a drug of abuse..never a good idea to take meds not rx-ed to a person...and if taken long term steroids do have to be tapered..i would doubt he was trying to get high off of them tho
Is there a possibility that he could be badly misinformed and thinking that corticosteroids are equal to anabolic steroids, which are the ones that build up muscle?  The only thing corticosteroids will do is suppress the natural immune response, so that's why it's necessary to wean off of them as opposed to stopping them suddenly.  If you stop them suddenly after taking them for more than a day or two, your body's own immune system will not be working properly and could get messed up until it figures out what happened and starts producing its own antibodies again.

ghilly
id have to agree with Ghilly's post, he probably thought they were the other kind of steroids because that makes the most sense why he would steal prednisone. PRednisone doesnt make you high or anything like that..
THANK YOU all for your posts. I really did not say anything to him until I had my facts straight. I also am so programmed to automaticaly expect the worse. I still dont like the fact his wife gave him her prescription....that's how it all started (she is a hypochondriac and also a pill seeker). She is an enabler. Anyway thank you all for your posts it has helped me calm down a bit. Although I know there are some serious side effects from taking prednisone..I guess he is on his own.( I will explain to him these side effects but I doubt they listen..my fingers crossed)

Thank You again