Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Addicted to DXM

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Addicted to DXM

hi, I'm 18 years old and I've been recreationally been abusing Delsym (dxm based cough medication) for over 2 1/2 years now. I've been too 3 drug rehabilitation clinics due to the use. Of this and other drugs. But mainely dxm. But I don't know how to quit it. Rehab didn't help. I find myself wanting it so bad that steal it from stores in crazy amounts (up to 4 bottles) and now that I'm trying to quit I've found myself in a deep depression, suicidal, and I've lost everything, friends and family. Nobody trusts me, I just don't know what to do, I guess I'm just looking for support. Because constantly I feel like I'm a worthless human being. Enough backstory though.   My symtoms (symptoms) are as follows:  

Constant paranoia: feeling like everyones out to get me

Severe depression:
Suicidal thoughts:I've attempted Once
Feeling anxious to the point of panic.
Have you talked to a doctor about your mental status? Addiction messes up our brain chemistry. How long have you been feeling like that? What are your meds besides the dmx? I would recomend talking to a medical professional. Those thoughts are not healthy and need to be addressed asap. Sending you a big bama hug.
"dxm" and thats what im addicted too is the cough syrups./

ive sought out help i see a therapist weekly, im prescribed to numerous depression and anxiety meds

zoloft 150mg
abilify 15mg

and i just got out of the mental word yesterday for a drug overdose.

ive been to 3 drug rehabs. 90 days each minimum.
all successfully discharged.

its ruining my life. my relationships and i litterally sit around all day just wasting away. i have no motivation and the withdrawling from this stuff is worse then the depression itself
You have got to find a doctor that will help you as you can and will pass through this. Also I would suggest a therapist and support groups. Finding the root problem that is making you want to get high is going to help you kick the problem. Good luck to you if you need support I am here for you!
you are not worthless. you are a beautiful person you if suffering from low self-esteem. hun you know the drugs are not the answer. you brain chemistry was changed due to your drug use. it can be restored,repaired and healed. it will take time. you have to be patient with yourself and work on yourself and your recovery everyday.
it is very possible to live a clean and sober life. you are so young and have a whole wonderful life ahead of you. it is important to think positive.
your family and friends will believe in you and trust you again. it will take time for this to also happen.
when did you last use? when did you get out of the rehab last?
please keep talking to us.
sending hope,hugs,encouragment and peace
debbie
sorry didnt proof read. you are a beautiful person who is suffering from low self-esteem.
i'm here for ya, if you want to talk.
i got out of rehab october 2. i i last used on sunday and it landed me a trip to the hospital (ive been to the hospital for overdoses over 7 times now in the past 2 years) and i was put in the mental ward to stabalize(ive been to the mental ward 2 times the past month for suicide attempt, and most recently overdosing and depression) and see thats the issue. ive been doing this stuff for so long im starting to think its all im worth. i just feel worthless. i almost have expect myself to not live past 25.
My fiance is exactly the same as you,he's been to countless rehabs he still uses it, then it makes him use other things, he has attempted suicide 4 times.... he's been using for 5 years... were still trying to find help.
I promise you your not the only one, you and him sound exactly the same about how you feel towards yourself.
How are you doing, now?
How is your fiancé?
All of the threads you're pulling up are older ones.  snow hasn't posted for almost a year.  Always peek at the dates on a thread, so you're not talking to people who have been gone for a while.