Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Addiction Help

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Addiction Help

Have been taking 30mg Oxy for a little over a year now after a car accident. Finally realized I was becoming hooked on them. Went to my doctor and she would only put me on a methadone. Which I dreaded and wish I never took. Was on it almost 2 weeks and my anxiety was getting worse and worse. I have an anxiety disorder already since I was 13 years old. On Zoloft for 5 years 100mg every night and the last 2 years on xanax 0.5 mg as needed. I quit the methadone and have about 10 10mg percocet left over from before surgery and my doctor gave me 120 Norcos instead of the Oxy. I am unsure if it is better for me to ween myself down and then stop cold turkey once I am down to 1 Norco a day with the xanax. Or if I am better off stopping cold Turkey. My problem is that I am only 24 years old, my mom is disabled and has no one else to take care of her. I support her financially as well. Cannot afford to loose my job or take the time off to risk loosing it. I do not know what to do and am extremley scared. Any advice on weening or if that is not the best idea would be a great help. My other concern is how will I feel once I ween down to nothing and am done with them. Will I still go into full blown withdrawls. What do I do if my doctor refuses to give me anything other then methadone. I cannot go to another doctor because my insurance only allows me to go to her, and get a referral to a specialist if needed. She feels she can treat me but I do not want to do the methadone and am afraid of cold turkey. But I need to do what is best for me, and will be the quickest easier process.; I know its not easier at all but praying one route is easier then the other. Any responses or help would be a blessing. Thank you
Jessica--Tapering requires a great deal of discipline, but it can be done. Do you have someone you can trust to hold your pills and only give them to you on your taper schedule? If so then you should try the taper route.

Have you talked to your doctor about not wanting Methadone and is she willing to work with you? If yes then your doctor can develop a taper plan for you but you HAVE to stick to the plan. Stopping CT is hard when you have to take care of someone disabled. So you need to sit down and ask yourself can I truly make it through a taper plan. If you think you can and get your doctor on board that is probably the way to go for you. So please keep posting and let us know what your plan is. I am sure someone else will come along with some other info to help you do what you need to. God Bless