Addiction specialist
I have an appointment with an addiction specialist on Wednesday night.  I am going to lay EVERYTHING out on the table.  Every detail, etc. no matter how ashamed or embarassed I feel.  I'm not going to suceed any other way.  I really feel like this is going to be something really good for me.
Good morning to you. I think it is wonderful to search out all avenues of help for yourself. But since I am a big believer in the 12 Steps it would be cool if you went to AA or NA as well. Just my opinion. It saved my life.
Deb
I also had my appt with a therapist on wednesday. I told him absolutetly everything also. I told him things I am sooo ashamed of and all. My motto? WHO CARES what people think about me! I dont anymore now that Im feeling better and am being honest with all around me.
Youre doing the right thing! I was just going to go to an intensive therapy program b/c I hate meetings but now I find myself going to a meeting every other day. Huh....Strange isnt it? It will do wonders for you if you do it right (what Im told) which I didnt the first time around. I plan to do the steps this time. Maybe, just maybe?
Way to go. After going back out after 4 and a half years of abstinence in NA it took me 15 years to make it back. I say abstinence because all i did was not drink and use, boy what a miserable exsistence that was. Its always been difficult for me to go to therapy becase my first thought is always {"what could this person possibly know about being an addict or alcoholic"} Maybe this time, having an open mind, i will seek outside therapy.
Deb
I think you are right - I keep throwing around the idea of going to meetings, but I have been a little scared to go for some reason.  But forget that, continuing to live like this is even scarier.  I am going to look up meetings.  Won't hurt to try...
heres how I found mine;
AA:  http://alcoholism.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ/
Ya&sdn=alcoholism&cdn=health&tm=13&gps=74_350_1020_567&f=00
&su=p247.3.140.ip_p284.8.150.ip_&tt=14&bt=1&bts=1&zu=
http%3A//www.pdxaa.com/meetings/index.aspx

NA: http://alcoholism.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.portlandna.com

Obviously youll have to change the state and all that but its a start...

And Im gonna add that I was TERRIFIED of my first few WEEKS of meetings...Im over it now..
http://alcoholism.about.com/od/meetaa/AA_Meetings.htm

there ya go...try that one...AA, NA doesnt matter...were all the same...
thanks guys... i'm looking up meetings as we speak.  as far as aa/na, i'm lucky enough to be a drug addict AND an alcoholic so one and/or the other would work.
hahaha yea me too!
The truth is the best way to start and it sounds like your on that path.......

good luck with your appointment and please let us know if you choose to how things went.........
Thank you so much.  I will definitely be posting after the appointment.  Sharing what I am doing and going through is another thing that helps so much.  
as I sit here thinking about your appointment in less than a year from now I hope to have a job as an addiction counselor and I am really looking forward to the next few months of training and my internships that I will be experiencing.........

good luck to ya.........
I think that is going to be such an awesome thing for you.  I would love to explore some career options dealing with addiction.  I need to kick mine first - and LEARN about it while I do it.  As much pain as it has brought me, it is also something that interests me to no end.
Over the past decades I have always had all these big plans and ideas but never followed up on any of them.........it really amazes me how this time I actually have kept up with my school and since I started service work I am getting deeper and deeper into it and not by words but by my actions.......

A couple of nights ago when I spoke at the Harbor Lite drug rehab center I spoke on front of about 50 or so at first before I am announced I have some butterflies but once I get up on stage or the podium in the room I just really get into it...........
There my blunt honesty creates a good atmosphere and gets people involved...if I am told I have an hour I will only speak for 30 or 40 minutes max so I can take questions and get some people involved and the great thing if there is a big response and people want to ask questions they will allow me some extra time.............

I have so much fun I know this is what God wanted me to do with my life..........