Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Addiction to Lortab?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Addiction to Lortab?

I don't really know where to start but by saying "I need help!!!" I have been taking Lortab 10/500 for about 10 months now. I never took them for pain but for the energy they gave me. I am currently taking anywhere from 4-10 a day depending on my mood and what I'm doing. My main problem is, I don't believe I'm addicted to them any other way than mentally. They're always around so I don't have any problem getting them (my Mom's prescribed them for cancer). But the true problem is, I can not seek any professional treatment because I work in a pharmacy!! If they had the slightest clue to my usage, I would be fired and they'd probably assume I was stealing (which I NEVER did). Also, I've lied to everyone as to how many I take and to why I take them. I am also a single mother of a 2 year old that's hard to handle lol. I "feel" as though I need the Lortab to get me through the day and complete my tasks. I'm ready to quit taking them but I'm scared and don't know what to except if I do go through withdrawl (withdrawal). I need some help with quitting and what to except if I do withdrawl (withdrawal). Please help!!!
I was also addicted to Lortab and by quitting you need to not let anyone give you any, even when you ask for it. The reason I say this is because when you stop it, you will have withdrawals for 3-7 days which are painful. After that you are basically home free. When you experience the pain you will be tempted to ask mom for more meds and she would give it to you. You may not be able to hide the withdrawals either because they are somwhat painful physically and mentally. I was only able to quit because I ran out of pills.

What I don't understand is how you get that much from your mom (4-10 a day) is a LOT. My mom is only prescribed 4 per day so why does your mom get soooo much and does she take any??

Your mom has basically been the one to get you addicted, my mom did the same thing but it is my fault for taking them. I now wish she said NO to giving me any.

When quitting, get prepared by getting some vitamins (multi and vitamin B) helps a LOT!! Also get fresh fruits and veggies. Since withdrawals cause insomnia and flue symptoms go to get some Nyquil which will help both of those.

If you want something else that will really help. You can go to the doctor and ask for Suboxone (forgive me if I spelled it wrong) it REALLY helps with withdrawals and makes it much more comfortable to live with for that week you come off the pills. Suboxone is prescribed for Withdrawals and for mental pain as well.

That is about all you can do and I can tell you to do. Lortabs made me drousy and tired and I guess it effects everyone differently.

You need to stop now, since you know you are an addict before you start taking 20 day (many addicts end up taking that much) and guess what ?? The Euphoria and energy will eventually go away and stop working no matter how many you take so please STOP NOW!

I am just saying this to help you, not to be mean because I know what it feels like to be addicted to Lortab.... Just be tough and stop now. After the withdrawals which will last maybe a week or less, then you will be free and fine... Trust me and do this for yourself. It gets hard when you worry about where your next pill comes from and worry about being caught by your family for being an addict..... Stop now before anyone finds out anything.

Also are you sure you are not stealing these from your job because you take too many and you can be in serious trouble for this along with being fired. I mean if you don't stop and you end up taking 20+ a day trust me they will find out then!!!!!!!! So you need to stop now before this drug takes control of your life. Good luck! :)
addicted is addicted whether mental or physical.being obsessed by pills *****. you are walking the tightrope working at a pharmacy. you could come down with the "flu" and that is pretty much what detoxing is like. i had to go the suboxone route this time. there is a website heretohelp.com. i found a great doctor on there. like brandy said, you need to do this now. in your situation, well you don't want to lose your job or your sanity. i will pray for you. good luck, sway
Welcome to the forum..and we all need help to detox and stay off pills.  I gotta diagree with the suboxon route here.  Sub should ONLY be used as a last resort...I am not anti-sub, my daughter takes it.  She was shooting up oxy at about 500mgs per day, she had tried to detox many times and relapsed...You should at least try to detox on your own, before going that route.  Detox is hard, but you can get through it without becoming addicted to an even stronger opiate...there are basically 2 options to detox, cold turkey and taper...get a plan together and let us know, we will help ya....
Thank you so much for each of your kinds words and encouragement. You have no idea how much this is going to help me. I can honestlt say, I'm NOT doing this for me, I'm doing this for my son who needs his mommy. He is my world and I always said that I'd do anything for him and I do so now it's time to fix my problem.
@Brandy: No, I have never stolen anything in my life but the thing is, I have so many friends and family that was prescribed different kinds of hydrocodone (lortab, lorcet, norco, etc) and a lot them sold them or just gave them to me. Then when they didn't have any, I went to my mom because I knew she had them. I basically "stocked up" on them when they were avaliable and around. And my mom is prescribed 150 lortab 10-500 a month due to her Stage 3 Breast Cancer she had March 09 and still gets them because she still has problems due to her previous health and the surgery damage that was done. She claimed to be allergic to Oxycodone because when they first prescribed her those, they made her itch. So the Lortab was the strongest they could give her that she could handle. She did take them just not as many as prescribed in fear of getting addicted. She currently has 2 siblings that are severe addicts to them and her baby brother (41) passed away in 2005 from overdose from Lortab and Xanax. But I'm scared that if I am successful with quitting, what if I relapse and do steal from my job?!?! That's why I've actually been looking for a new job. I've had 2 interviews so far so pray that I get another job. My family does know that I do "occasionally" take the pills but no one knows that I take them everyday and how many I take. So yes, I'm ready to quit but don't know how. I've heard about quitting cold turkey with the Thomas Recipe. What are your opinions on that? Or would it be best if I tapered down? I won't be able to put my life on hold while I'm doing this. I'll still have to work, take care of my son, and do everything else I normally do because I can't tell anyone what's going on. AHHH it's too stressful to even think about :/ but I'm gonna have faith in myself and everytime I even think about taking one, I'm gonna remind myself of the little guy who's gonna make this all better, my hansome babyboy :) Also I've place little encouragement notes in different places throughout my house to help with the process. Once again, thanks everyone. Please pray for me as I'll do the same for all of you.
Good luck with this process. It would be better to taper considering your situation, I guess.  Do it over time,it will lessen the withdrawals somewhat. When you stop,try doing it when you have a few days off in a row.  You have to be really strong to do this.
Just think about your son and how you would never want this to happen to him.

You should share this problem with those close to you.All those doors need to be closed so you are not tempted. Your job needs to be changed,as you know. You shouldn't be around pills EVER!!

Also,think about some therapy. It's good to get to the reason we used in the first place.

When tapering,be sure to take vitamins;especially B vitamins.

Keep posting so you can get support;you really need that~

Vicki
I am sorry to sorry but i think if yuo are not addicted than u would not be takin them from your mother who has cancer
HI and welcome to the forum ...you came to a great place to seek help and support it sounds like your ready to do this....keep reading the posts you will get an idea of what it is like to go thew withdrawals ...I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think your habit is significant enough to have withdrawals ...try not to let this scare you it is always worst in our minds then it actually turns out to be...but prepare your self mentally you want to go into this with a win win attitude and when your ready to do this there is much support here if you come and post...look up the thomas recipe to the right hand side of the screen
it will give you some basic stuff to make this a little more comfortable...right now your starting to see the light and getting ready to do this...it will be the best desion of your life...living chained to a pill bottle is no way to live hang in there and post when your ready to get started good luck and God bless.....Gnarly