Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Addiction to Percocet/Vicodin - No insurance so how can i find a progra...

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Addiction to Percocet/Vicodin - No insurance so how can i find a program/ withdrawal?

Hey everyone.. I am 28 years old and have been addicted to percocet and vicodin for about 4 years now.. I take them recreationally and have hurt family and friends because of my addiction.. the mood swings are horrible and i get SEVERELY depressed if i go through withdrawal.. I dont have any health insurance so I can't go check into a local detox program.. and because of this i feel like i am so lost and destined to kill my liver (along with every relationship that i have).. does anyone have any suggestions at all? :(  I'm tired of this addiction and i need to get back to grad school and finally do something with myself other than sit around and be stoned all day off of opiates ! :(  thanks for the help
I would suggest two things:

1.  Start going to AA or NA meetings.  Follow the advice they give to "newcomers," which is to goto "90 meetings in 90 days."  I know that sounds like a lot, but my bet is it would require just a fraction of the time you've been devoting to your addiction.  If you want Recovery you have to make it a priority.  I personally prefer AA, even though it has been many years since I abused alcohol and my last 5+ year run of active addiction was exclusively drugs (long-term opiate use followed by about 9 months of heavy crack smoking).  You'd need to start "working the program" and GET A SPONSER.  BTW, you don't have to be clean for AA or NA - Tradition Three in both programs states: "The only requirement for membership is a desire to quit drinking [or, for NA "using"]"

2.  Treat your brain chemistry - it's what keeps us locked in active addiction.  Some good books for this are: End Your Addiction Now, by Charles Gant; The Mood Cure, by Julia Ross; Seven Weeks to Sobriety, by Joan Larsen; Staying Sober, by Gorski & Miller; and Staying Clean & Sober, by Miller & Miller.

You don't have insurance at all?  Please keep us posted.  12 step programs are one way to get clean.  There are other ways as well.  It is a good idea to go back and read posts.  If you see posts from people who are involved with NA etc. and they are negative, don't let it keep you from going to a meeting.  Some people in meetings are working the steps to keep from being like that and change their thinking.  It is a process.   At this point I am choosing to taper off the meds (day 10 w/o vcodin/norco).   I may or may not go back to the 12 step program afterwards.  I can say it is a great way to "stay" clean once you get clean and you will find lots of support there.  And since you have no insurance, it is free to go there.  

Great post, Todd!   I can tell you have a good heart and really care about people.
Hi there, on top of the GOOD ADVISE from: tztlady

This may help you out some; I just replyed this for missisippi below.

From dental to my knees, I have been on and off for about 4 Years of the 7.5 Hydrocodone.

Ususally, if it wasn't longer than 3 months at a time, I would just c/t it from 4 a day with about 2 days of w/d.

But now, my knees were so bad, (not anymore-no I'm just addicted) that some how my count of the 7.5 Hydro went from 3 a day to 8-9 daily.

About 7 weeks ago, I tried to cold turkey it, well that lasted 37 hours and could NOT TAKE IT anymore, so I took the Hydro for relieve.

I know how intense it is, and I AGREE that it is time to get off. But Fladdict really gave me some good advise and it;s working and I'm down to 4-5 a day.

I know how bad you want off of them, but try coming down 1 to 2 pill a week, take your B vitamins and let your body adjust. When you just try to come off it all at once, your body does not know how to react, so you get big time w/d's!

I know about the insomnia, night sweats, anxiety, etc...But if you can just take it down 2 pills, go through some withdrawals and let your body adjust...then when your ready again try 1 or 2 more, and just keep letting your body adjust to the new level.

It is an easiest way, w/o detox with minimul discomfort. But you should really pick up some B Complex, for stress, it helps!

I was at 8-9 now with this method, I am now at 4-5 a day within 2 months. It's a little edgey, but I just will let my body adjust and try for 3-4 a day. I Feel WAY BETTER on 1/2 with in just 1-1/2 months of what I was on.

If you can't do it cold turkey, or detox...to me this has been the best approach that has worked for me, and many others!

Throw a post up for Fladdict, she's real nice and will help anytime!

Hope this helps, and GOD BLESS,

Todd
Thanks so much everyone for the advice.. Starting today I shall be looking for an NA meeting around my area.. and I shall also be looking for some B complex to help with the stress.. If there weren't any stressors in life would be nearly as addicted? I seriously doubt it.. Thanks again to everyone who responded.. It makes me feel like I can actually do this now that I know I'm not alone..