Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Addiction to narcotics and alcohol

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Addiction to narcotics and alcohol

I have recently gone thru some major life changes and turned to alcohol..beer..but still it was a crutch...turned to it to cope...and a sign of my very poor coping skills...my ugly addiction that lies dormant until sumpin ugly happens..I was curious how many of the pill/narcotic/benzo etc addicts out there can drink successfully..i usually did..never been a major problem and i continued to drink socially after stopping narcotics...i got a handle on the drinking as soon as i realized what i was doing...using it to cope cos i did not want to feel any pain..sounds familiar doesnt it?  I would hate to think I could never drink socially but the last thing i need is an alcohol problem/i am a people person and many times alcohol is involvedin lots of social functions...alcohol seems to get some people in trouble even more than pills...just wanna get some input on how u guys deal with this
42%
 (12) 
When I stopped my DOC I quit drinking as well
32%
 (9) 
I never was a drinker..only used pills
14%
 (4) 
I stopped my doc but continue to drink without any problems with alcohol
10%
 (3) 
I stopped my doc and continue to drink but feel my drinking could or is out of hand
28 Members voted
For me when I stopped drinking it was great, but I wasn't working a program (NA/AA, etc.) so I just substituted one addiction for another. You've summed up quite well the crux of the problem - we're typically able to drink just fine until something comes up and then it gets out of hand. I would suggest the following (sorry if this sounds preachy): find one of those questionnaires online that tell you if you might have a problem with drinking (you know...have you ever had problems at work because of your drinking? have you ever lied about your drinking? have you ever had problems at home because of your drinking? has anyone ever told you that you have a drinking problem?) My shrink put me through that drill after I got a DUI and told him I wasn't sure if I had a problem. Maybe you don't - only you can know for sure, but we're all pretty damn good at denying our problems. I can tell you that when I quit drinking the hardest part was traveling for work and not drinking; having to give up wine tastings; no more trips to napa valley or sonoma, etc., in other words all the good ****. What wasn't hard to give up was the ruined evenings with my wife (like 3 birthdays in a row) when I had too much to drink; the blurry eyed rides home when I "was ok to drive"; sitting in jail; having to reschedule a flight home from a work trip because I had alcohol poisoning and couldn't leave the hotel room. You basically have to do the math here yourself. Even AA doesn't claim that everyone's an alcoholic, and they don't begrudge those who can handle their liquor and stop when they've had enough. The problem with any intoxicant though is that it is so easy to use it to blunt the pain when we're going through that real **** called life, and stuff can get out of control really really quick.
My doc was alcohol, with a few pills thrown in here and there. I quit drinking 9 years ago, during that time my Dr. prescribed pain pills and benzos for fibro. and that continued for 10 years.

I cannot drink or take pills successfully ever again because of my addiction. IMO no true addict can.

As addicts I beleive we all must abstain from all mind altering substances.
Protect your sobriety!!
I quit drinking 7 yrs ago but kept on taking pills.  I agree with addict3.....there is no way i can take any type of chemical successfully.  It has to be total abstinence for me.  I am a duel addict.  Many times we see others come on here that have quit taking pills and they turn to alcohol......that is a lonely deadly road also.  The only way i can cope with any crisis in my life now is to deal with it head on.  Numbing it up only prolongs it and you add more stress to your life.  I dont care what people say to me about not drinking as this is about me not them.  Anyone who is a friend will respect your addiction and will support you in your decision not to participate.  You can still be social and not drink.  Am glad to see you posting......just be very careful worried......drinking can turn on you in a heartbeat               sara
I replaced street drugs with alcohol.. I did not even like the taste. just the escape. it started with beer and turned into whiskey.. I had no brakes and would drink till gone.. then pills entered the picture.. I quit drinking in therapy and the pills soon after.. as far as I'm concerned I'm a addict and anything drug that has the potential to make me feel a lil different.. I will take to the max.. trading addictions is all I did for over 35 years.. Be careful worried as sara said.. drinking can turn on you in a heartbeat and take your life in a terrible direction faster and sometimes in more destructive ways then pills.. Alcohol does not leave our brains or body when we wake up and it skewers our thinking. so when drinking we do not think clearly and we never resolve our problems in a healthy way.. Please be kind to yourself.. lesa
i quit cold- turkey becuz i take pills now, ending the roller-coaster of alcohol
For me it was total abstinence, one is too many and a thousand is never enough, anything that is mood or mind altering has the ability to release my addiction all over again or create a new one.( NA Basic Text)
I hope you find what Your truth is,but if you are anything like me total abstience is what you need to fully experience the gifts of being clean
Keep it in today...ask for help when you don't know how to handle a situation
Learn about your addiction and how it manifest in your life.In knowledge there is power, being empowered brings hope.  Be Blessed...Debra
everyone is different, I must say that a few beers at night helped me get through some major wd's. some people said smoking weed helped them, although I must say it did nothing to stop WD's for me,but was kinda soothing on the mental aspect.

but I did drink beer too when I was taking them pills, which was not good.

certainly it can be a trigger for some,especially when you have a hang over.

perhaps its best for most to just quit them all,many that have been clean for long times will say that.

I personally feel,one needs to do what ever it takes to get off the pill,because they are 20 times more addicting then alcohol
After 9 months clean from cocaine and drugs, I still would have a drink here and there socially and not many at all. Alcohol was a big trigger for my coke use, but as I got more clean time I taught myself it was ok to drink since my coke cravings were no longer as intense and I wouldn't relapse. I kept it completely under control, a few beer a week was no big deal or so I thought. I am an addict without a doubt and soon those few beer became my breakfast when i went through a rough patch and I used it as a crutch. I drank like a fish for 2 weeks and I learned that for me, all substances are bad now. It ***** being an addict sometimes, but nuttin beats sobriety. It took me a long long time to accept this, I am stubborn,but after 9 months clean from drugs, i have finally put down the sauce too. It's not easy, i feel outta place sometimes now in certain places, but it's a small price to pay to live my life happy:)
Addicts always think they can control everything....including alcohol.  We tell ourselves in our head we can do this when in reality we cant.  It eventually sneaks up on us and we lose all control.......Abstinence is the key.....sara
Hi sara:) It's Friday night, having minor cravings for first time in awhile, not bad ones, just frustrated having to be a good lil giz, lol. Friends are going to bar on the water, I just can't go ****!
For me to consider myself clean. I have to be clean from all mind altering chemicals. alcohol is a mind altering chemical, So if I were to drink I could not consider myself clean .That just my opinion
For me, I picked never was a drinker, although when I was younger and before my addiction I drank socially to party and have fun with my friends. At some point I stopped drinking and partying...guess it was having young kids that changed it. I probably drink a couple drinks 3-4 times a year at holidays but really not enough to really feel different. If I drank much more than a few drinks I am lucky in that it would make me feel like ****. Alcohol makes my problems feel bigger so I don't worry about abusing it. Even at parties I usually have iced tea as I just don't like alcohol anymore. I'm the same with benzos. Have them all the time and only take 1 sometimes if I have strong anxiety or stress. If I take 1 it takes away my anxiety and I feel better but if I took 2 I would feel depressed. I always plan on being mindful of this though because I used to hate opiates and they would make me feel horrible.  Our systems are always changing and if you can handle it now that can change at the drop of a pill. Hope your feeling better worried.

You are being a good clean little giz.....it will get better in time gizzy.  Get yourself busy and do something productive.  After awhile you will realize that you can be totally amusing without any chemicals in you.......Put the money away that you normally would spend on a night out.....you will be surprised at how much you will have saved.  My dad put .50 cents a day away after he quit smoking(that was how much a pack was).  They went on vacations with that money.  Just a thought.......mp
Thanks. Went to the beach for a quick walk. I think I am just more frustrated not being able to go to bars and stuff like before, it pisses me off. My night outs used to cost me about 300 bucks, but can't afford to put that away now, lol.

And MP, i have always been more amusing sober than high or drunk , but it's tough sometimes to have to say no. I am done whining, just watching football tonight preseason and preparing for my trip. Almost a month clean from all substances now.
Yes you are rather amusing!!!!  LOL  Glad to hear you went to the beach and walked.  It will get easier i promise......

Hey are the Bills still playing football??!!!!  LMAO
LMFAO! I hope we start 5-1 again and miss the playoffs like last year. OHHHHHHHHH, how are your raiders doing, lol. GOOOOOOOOO bills. We got Terrel Owens now, he's an ***, but that boy can catch. Super bowl for us??? haha
Sit back and be envious of how my team is going to do this year.............I will send the tissues when they beat the Bills!!!!  LMAO   TO is washed up!!!
You don't want to mess with an addict that is craving MP, lol. At least I am laughing now. Thanks,
I think there is a difference between " I CANT" and "I CHOOSE NOT TO" The later gest feels better.

I found out the hard way as a long term addict that THE DRINK BONE IS CONNECTED TO THE DRUG BONE.
I have never heard it that way and man is that true......
mr lucky that is such a good way to put it
I quit drinking 3 months prior to quitting oxys. I didn’t drink that much the last 3 years while on the oxys, but prior to that I drank socially + more. I agree w/ mister lucky on that one, need to be cautious, at best.  I just want everything out of my system to clear the fog from my brain from the 3 year hiatus. I can’t believe how much more energy I have and how much better my eyeballs look, and how much more alert I am. I feel great today. I’m so happy to be off that stuff, i still use sleep aids at bedtime. If I don’t get sleep I want to use oxys.
Been to rehab (16 years ago) for booze -- helped for the time I was there, but always went back ...

Last five years or more, couldn't even look at someone hoisting a pint -- felt like puking. Lasted through a 4 1/2 lay-off last winter, depressed beyond description, but knew that booze would just make me want to die. Made it through, but in Spring, somebody said I looked tired and handed me three percs. The rest, as they say, is history ...

One time I did the home-detox route -- urgh -- and showed up for work three days after a 9-day stint for oxy detox. Oddly enough, in about 3 days, I hit the booze again, and two weeks later and after a ghastly home detox, got back to work. Lucky or what?

Look up "Isoquinolones" or "Isoquinolines" and find out about ethanol byproducts (acetaldehydes and brain amines) end up bound to opiate receptors. Should make you think about boozing after you kick.

-- KB
alcohol is a drug
agree..liked the way mr Lucky put it...I wasnt a big drinker as a rule..but during tough times/way before the pills/i turned to alcohol after my divorce 17 yrs ago...realized i was over doing it...back then i was into the bar scene.not anymore tho.....i have never had problems at work from alcohol either...but i see how it is very easy to get into trouble with another substance..and alcohol causes alot more problems for many than pills do..when i was on pills no one ever knew...no change really just felt happier...WRONG..and I am not the type to get drunk...most of my friends will say they have never once seen me drunk..but i saw my alcohol consumption increasing cos i was depressed and under stress..i didnt want to get out of the bed for days..didnt eat for 4 days..still miss a day eating here and there...but time heals..and i want to be sure i dont turn to another substance like alcohol..or have to depend on it to get thru the day...just dont wanna go there...upped my meetings..life will take its course i guess
Stay with it worried........you will get thru this and we will be right behind you giving you a boost........or a goose!!!!          sara
I went through rehab 21 years ago for meth, but never really liked alcohol because of the hangover.  I never touched meth again, but still had a love affair with pot and would occationally drink.  I had tried pain killers once in a while and loved the way they made me feel.  I was prescribed them for a neck injury about 5 years ago and was instantly hooked.  I went on Suboxone in late 2005 to get off the vicodin and was on the sub for nearly 4 years.  As I began to taper and attemtp to get off the sub, I started drinking like a fish - Grey Goose Martini - may as well go for the gusto.  In April, I had a bad day at work and was really tying one on, just doing shots.  I went back to get another shot and the bottle was gone, my room mate hid it from me.  That was the day I realized that not only was I an addict, but I was also an alcoholic.  I went through detox in June and must abstain from all mind altering substances.  My room mate has supported me through the process and is also not drinking to support me.  I know that not all people are lucky in that regard, I am thankful every day for his support and for being clean, today is day 72 and counting!
For me, whenever I drink it always makes me crave drugs. Mostly oc, but any drug will do.  I have found out that I basically can't just drink, I have to do coke or something with it. I only drink socially at like a party but in the last few years I don't think I ever drank without using drugs as well. Alcohol is like my biggest trigger and the cravings for a drug when I am drunk are ten times worse then when I am sober. It ***** because i don't know how i'll manage to be sober from everything but it's something I am now awaare of and am trying to do.
Stress and depression can become overwhelming. Alcohol for many is the easiest route. I know that story all too well. I seldom drank when I was using Oxy...I haven't stopped drinking for 26 days, since I chewed my last pill. The fact of the matter is, I feel like ****...but like you, some very unpleasant things have happened to me over the past few weeks. Things that usually drove me right to drugs. I did what I needed to do to get by and not score Oxy. You are doing the same. Don't beat yourself up for doing what you need to do to cope during a rough time. Stay away from the pills, try to keep yourself busy, and in time it will get easier for you.
Take care of yourself