Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Addiction to opiate over the counter medications

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I am a concerned friend of someone who has had an addiction to over the counter pain killers for over three years taking around 48 Ibuprofen Codeine tablets a day as well as drinking large amounts of alcohol.  I have been with him coming off the tablets twice in the last 2 1/2 years; he claims he is now seeking help to stop the alcohol, however I do not believe that Subxone is used to help ceasation of alcohol but opiates - am I right?  He claims he has not started taking opiates again but I have found wrappers and receipts but when questioned he gets angry and says I shouldn't snoop and that he's not.  I don't know if you also call it Subxone as we are in Australia not US.  If it helps he has to collect at the pharmacy and place tablet under his tongue and wait for it to desolve before he is allowed to leave.  Previously he was taking subutex (not sure of spelling) to kick opiate addiction.  I care but I am tired of the lies and being manipulated into thinking it is somehow me that's to blame for checking up on him.  Physically, emotionally and financially drained but I want to help. Any thoughts from you would be appreciated. By the way he does not take the pills for pain relief his brother took them for pain and said "Try these they get you wasted!"  Wow brotherly love?
I don't believe Suboxone is usually for alcohol addiction but I could be wrong.. I know they are using an opiate blocker now for that I can' remember the name.. I am sure someone here will know.. check back.. its a little slow here on Saturday nights.
Thanks for the info.  I know it's good he's going, just wish after all we've been through together he could be truthful with me.  He wants my support but he won't open up this time and tell me he got back on the opiates.  At least he's being honest with himself which is the major thing.
You take care.