Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Admitting i have a problem

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Admitting i have a problem

Hi. New to this site.
I have been taking 6-9 mg of diazepam every day for the past couple months. Before that it was just a half of a 2 mg every day(1mg).  I also take two to three fioricet with codeine but have cut back to one with codeine and one to two regular fioricets per day .
I need to stop but I'm so scared of seizures. I know this isn't a high dose but every time I get upset I reach for a pill. My dr said I won't get a seizure from cold turkey with fioricet but I'm still scared.
How do you wean down off a small dose of both these drugs?
Thank you
Good Morning and welcome to the forum. Not sure about a proper weaning schedule, but can your Dr. instruct you if you tell him you don/t want to go CT? If not maybe a respected pharmacist? Listen, your right, your dose isn't that high and you won't be too uncomfortable in this challenge. More members will chime in soon on benzo's to pull you through. Just wanna send some hugs and encouragement your way. Day by day...
Hi:-) thanks for the encouragement.
What is a CT?

Sorry, CT= cold turkey.....stopping all at once. I know your Doc said it was ok to go that rout but from what I've read and experienced, with benzos you need to cut your dose slowly to avoid problems. Hey, good for you that you are reaching out!
Hi and Welcome...
Please talk to your doctor about tapering off the benzos...They are not supposed to be stopped abruptly.  I don't know what floricet is but the diazepam definitely needs to be tapered over time.  Does your doctor know the dosage you are taking?
Lu
Fioricet is a migraine medicine .
My dr does know.  He prescribes me 2mg 3times a day. I take a half in the morning and then at night I take more to unwind. It's so stupid. I can't believe I'm here.
The fioricet I take first thing in rhe morning because i usually wake up with a headache. But the reality is i take them even  if I don't have a headache.
Do you always get withdrawal from Valium  or not if it's a lower dose? I'm assuming I'm on a low dose .
Fioricet definitely has to be tapered also as it can cause seizures. There's a member here by the name of Vicki who has successfully tapered off of it. I'm sure she'll see your post but I'll shoot her a message just in case she doesn't. She's also a nurse so that's an added bonus!

If it were me I'd seek a second opinion from another doctor. Some meds are find to cold turkey but I'm almost positive these shouldn't be.

Be sure to check back throughout the day and evening. Vicki will be along to help out.

Also be sure to stick around this forum for good. There are some wonderful members who will give you the support need.

Best of luck.

Brian
Thank you! It's such low doses but still such a problem for me.  
welcome to the forums and i know vicki will soon see this post and may be able to shed a little more light on this for you. <333
Although we tend to give blind faith to our doctors, some of them have zero clue as to addiction related to the Meds they prescribe. So take the advice earlier given about cutting down slowly. Ur doses are not high and u haven't been on them so long.
Hi there!

I'm sorry to be late getting to you!

I agree, you're on a small amount BUT it is ALWAYS prudent to taper off any BENZO or BARB. I can't empasize that enough.  It won't take you long to taper that and you'll feel better,too.

I would taper one at a time starting with the Fioricet. Wait a week or so then taper the Valium. People react differently to abrupt withdrawal of even small amounts so I, personally, would never take the risk.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Hi vicki,
As far as the fioricet, for the past 10 days I have been taking one regular then one with codeine later in the day. I only have two codeine left. I am going  to cut back to just one fioricet a day. My question is how long do I need to take it untill it's safe to stop? At what point are you safe from seizures? That's what scares me to death. I have been taking fioricet with codeine since last feb/march 2-3 a day Once in a while 4. I came clean to my dr and that's why he switched to the regular ones.
Thanks so much:-)
i would talk to your doctor about this and get the information that you need. especially when it comes to something as serious as probable seizures as well as other medical side effects that could be potentially dangerous. don't get me wrong, i am not trying to discount anyone's history with the specified medications listed here. but everyone is different, and only your PCP knows your medical history, whereas, none of us do other than what you've told us. not to mention, none of us are physicians that i'm aware of.

just a thought, is all. in any case, hope today is a better day for you!
As long as you keep dropping slowly and in small amounts, you should be fine. Get a pill cutter in case the doctor suggests you take half at a time. The Fioricet won't break in half easily. But, do call the doctor. Codeine is not the issue here at all. It's the barbiturate in the Fioricet that will cause the problem.
I have a normal medical history. My dr just keeps saying that it's safe to stop fioricet but im way too scared.
When is the timeframe that a siezure can happen? How did you come off them?
Yikes!