Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Advice

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Advice

Just want to know more and more I'm learning alot from here...I'm clean but to be honest I did couple yesterday cause of my big cavity and root canal , worst pain in the body...=( sorry guy's....can't stand that pain! but it got better. I got some advil's and stuff now.
Well my question to you is You sad you took a couple yesterday, did you get them from the Dr? and when was your root canal? Having recently had surgery and having to take a few myself afterwards, I know that sometimes we NEED pain meds. What matters is HOW we take them. If we get them from 1 doctor and take them as directed, and NO longer than what we really need them for, then thats ok. Thats what pain medicine was created for. However we are addicts and need to always be aware that our brains dont work the same way as non-addicts so just be careful taking anything. Especialy right now. I would def try to take Advil or something else and see if that controls the pain bette first IMO

BTW, Root canals definitely s*ck!! hahaha
Teresa raises some very good questions.

Honestly...I've had a LOT of dental work done, and while I know it can be painful, I've never been Rx'd a narcotic afterwards...root canals, extractions, fillings, etc.  OTC pain meds always worked just fine.  Yea, there was a day or two where I would have a moderate amt of pain...but it was nothing I couldn't handle.  Most times, the pain BEFORE the tooth was fixed was WAY worse.  That's one of the good things about dental work...most times, while having the work done stinks, it resolves the initial pain.

I'm not saying you didn't need the pain meds, sometimes the pain after dental work can be more severe...I just think it's something worth being very honest with yourself about...if you REALLY needed the pain meds (did you TRY any OTC meds first?)...or did you use this as a good "excuse" to take the pills?  That's something only YOU can answer for yourself.

The addict mentality will find ways to rationalize use.  Like Teresa said, there absolutely will be times in your life where you will need some type of medication...but you have to make those decisions very carefully.  Just a few tips...use great caution, be honest with yourself to determine if indeed you really DO need the pain meds, try other ways to treat the pain first (including OTC analgesics, ice/heat, etc), leaving an opiate as a last resort.  

The times when you DO need something for pain..make sure your doctor is aware of your history of addiction, and take measures to help add a little more security to your sobriety, like no refills, let someone hold your meds, and as soon as the pain resolves and you don't need the opiate anymore, get rid of it.

Good luck!
"I'm clean but to be honest I did a couple yesterday..."???  If you're clean, then you do not "do" them.  You take them as prescribed from a doctor.  Big, huge, enormous difference!  Think through your wording and how your mind may not be changing if you still look at taking medicine as "doing pills!"
im sorry but i disagree if ur an addict u cant take an narcotics, even if a dr gave them to u..may wake up something.best advice is get ur root canal done asap or get tooth takin out..i told my dr straight up my history he gives me meds that arent addictive or narcotics  they dont work as great as a perc but hey dont wanna relapse  good luck
Great point LeaAnn!! I didnt even catch on to that wording!

Definitely a red flag that your addict Brain ,may still in control and NG brought up many great points! I hope that you wll take a look inside of you and answer those questions honestly!
While you raise valid points, there ARE sometimes in life, for an addict, where needing pain meds is kind of a necessity.  There are some very painful conditions that would necessitate a short term opiate.  An addict CAN responsibly take a short term course of an opiate without relapsing, if they're very careful.  They have to be super vigilant, and very honest.

For THIS situation, though...I do agree with you...the pain meds probably weren't a necessaity, and may just be a relapse...or the start of it.  Just my opinion.

LeaAnn DOES bring up a great point about the verbiage.  That definitely sends up some red flags!
Im sorry but IMO your wrong when you say an addict cant take any narcotics. Sometimes you NEED pain management like I did when I just had pretty extensive knee surgery. Thats what pain meds were meant for! BUT because I am an addict, I had to have a GOOD plan in place to take them the RIGHT way and take ONLY what I NEEDED for the pain and have someone dispense them to me. I also alternated it with other non-narcotic pain meds as well.

We will always be addicts but you absolutely cant make yourself suffer either. I thought I would have to because I would just get hooked again, but I didnt have to suffer and I didnt get hooked again.

In the OP case, I agree that his situation may be different and we are all questioning if he really NEEDED them or just told himself that he did.
I noticed you reset your tracker back to zero days clean so I am sure you get what everyone is saying.
On the other hand don't let this get you too down.  Just tell youself you will not use today.  Good job on getting an OTC med and using that after.
Don't slide back into taking pills after taking them yesterday.
It was good you were honest.
Keep posting for support.
Thhank you , I cant lie esp to people and family which are yall support me =/ my teeth still hurt I just took some advil and laying down
Yes, I got it from doctor but I gave it to a family member told them I don't need to be touching it anymore cause I'm a addict with those things. So theyt ook it.
THank you, I promise on my life and everything I stand for. I didn't lie to the doc to try to get any...but man this is the worst pain ever! Lol I'd rather punch my mouth haha
you're right.....=(...
Thanks, I promise I won't , I won't go this far for no reason and go back and forth , I feel ashame...sorry guy's I've let y'all down...but I was being honest, and I meant being clean as TODAY..not yesterday. =/
Any other medicine not OTC but in stores will help to ease the pain? I set up a appt I already told my doctor just earlier that don't give me any opiates or anything because I was over using it..
Sorry I really let y'all down but the pain I just coudn't stand it anymore I wasnt enjoying it I did it and laid down and watched tv it still hurted to just wanted to punch my mouth, Yes I'm being honest also..I woudn't lie for people who is trying to help and give me advice's I know addict's are hard and think they find there way to make people believe them , But i'm serious. Thanks guy's...and being straight foward with me....
Hey!!!  Good for you!  Being honest isn't easy!  I commend you for being honest, both here, and with your doc.  Way to go!  That's super!

I find Motrin works well...ask your dentist, but usually 600-800mg every 6 hrs as needed will help.  Sometimes, they'll tell you you can take Tylenol in between.  Ask your dentist what you can take, and the doses.  Ice can be helpful too.  Don't be afraid to call him and ask!
Well, here is what I did when I had dental implants done.  VERY painful!  I took 800 mg of Ibuprofen and Tylenol or I took a Goody's Powder which is essentially the same thing.....just adds some caffeine, but it's a good pain reliever.  Tastes like doo doo though!  Ice will numb it, but won't feel too wonderful to your skin, so wrap it up.  The good thing is that 1) you were honest.  2)you learned from it and 3) dental pain isn't chronic pain from something like a root canal.  It WILL get better soon! : )  If it's really bad, walk up and ask a pharmacist what is the best thing to buy to treat post-root canal work without a prescription.  They should be happy to help you!
Thank you! I will surely do that! and yes I promise I won't ever lied actually never did but before first time I came on here I did relapse then break down and cried, But gotta help myself to get up I like to listen to eminem - Not afriad since it's a meaning to being a addict.
Yea I will try I'd rather have something taste nasty then doing that ughhhhhh evil pill!
It's not too terribly bad.  Just put something to drink in your mouth and then empty the aspirin-like powder into your mouth and then swallow it!  Gross, but it will probably help.  You have to be able to take aspirin to take it, I think.  It is just bitter!  Bleeckk!
Funny how we can rationalize taking just one or two of those evil pills.   I have had a couple root canals and wound up with dry socket and that pain was unbearable.   And sometimes all the stirring up of things in your mouth, gums and jaws can be pretty intense after having those dental dams and tools propping your mouth open.   Have you tried orajel?    
Oh yeah forgot about oragel! I did just wash my mouth with salt and water nastyyyyyy haha....I hate those evil pills....i hate even looking at them..seriously...messed up my LIFE. and money gone when I coulda got so many thing's and be happy with..I'm through I promise y'all...i told my doctor I'm DONE. I am on suboxone planned...for 2 in half weeks Then no more.Just want that hydro out of my system.
I am going to chime in here a little.

There are times IMHO that any addict is going to need narcotics on a short term basis.  If you receive a significant trauma (say a smashed femur), your going to be given narcs unless you refuse, but you will pass out from the pain eventually.  I cannot speak to teeth, mine have always been good, but I thnk we do stretch the truth to docs sometimes, which is why it is so dangerous.  Being red flagged takes care of this, any script is going to get checked and if your doc KNOWS your an addict they will call BS on any script that is not very, very, very legit.  This is why my dentist also knows I have a addiction.  The only reason I speak up is I literally had this conversation with my doctor about what would happen to me if I had a serious injury, because I for sure, addict or not, want to get pain relief if I smash my leg or arm, at least short term.  The key is what others have said, after the extra hoops to get it filled, then you hand them off to friend or family that knows your an addict, they dispense them as prescribed, and you stop when OTC can handle it.w

Bryan
Thanks bryan. Yeah....I literally gave it to my girl cousin she dosent take it she puts it up she went with me to the DOc.
I agree with Fireby 100%.    We addicts can be very manipulative and make a little bit of pain seem like it's worse than it really is.   I know when I'm in addictive addiction I get a little pinch of a pain and justify that I need to take something...right now!  LOL!  
You didnt let anyone down. You got the meds from the doctor and had someone holding them.  Just continue to move forward and hold yourself accountable like you have been doing~
Thanks' I just feel so ashame of myself...like really...like I was doing good till then...but I'm done. when i do it I don't even like feel happy I just think like what did I just do...but yeah gotta move foward and just stay away ASAP!
Yea...But gotta stop! lol I just wanna get through this and forgot how pk even feels like and next time I see one I be like oh no...that made my life misery for couple years.
ahhhhhhhhhh doing better now... Thanks Guys for being there seriously...it's hard when noone is around or talk to.....That would help alot if had people hang around..go eat dinner or go mall or something movies..productive...instead by myself then it hink man i am so bored!! lol
My opinion..I've been addicted to morphine, Dillaudid and heroin for years and the best advice is if your getting prescribed narcotics have a responsible person who understands ur problem dispense them too you. Relapse is just around the corner..
you're right to be honest suboxone help's...and I have a plan for it not depending on it..just want the hydro out of my system...i hate it I drink like 6-10 water bottles a day....