Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
After your detox how many days did it take to get a full night sleep.

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Ok people another pole, the last poll I ran really helped me focus on getting better and FYI 29 people voted my question, what was your worst day of withdrawl (withdrawal)?  29 people voted most picked day 3,  a few for 4 and 5.  So with 29 people voting it should give our new posters some hope, you can do this. Something to look forward too,

On to the next stage after detox my concern is insomnia and I ask how many days did it take for you to get a full night sleep,  No Sleep aids first four options, with sleep aids pick your days next three options.  
20%
 (7) 
8-15 Days
25%
 (9) 
16-25 Days
2%
 (1) 
25-35 Days
11%
 (4) 
Over 36 days
14%
 (5) 
Im still on sleep aids day 1-15
8%
 (3) 
Im Still on sleep aids day 16-30
17%
 (6) 
Im still on sleep aids day 31-45
35 Members voted
hey there i am on day 8 and even with over the conter sleep meds i havent got a full night sleep seems i am up at 3 am every day i have 4 boys i have to watch and a house to keep up i need to get to the doc i cant do this anymore!
Sleep and energy are usually the last to come back but it does happen so keep hanging in there.  Warm baths and a cup of warm milk helped me to sleep.        sara

Some_life1976........Congrats on day 8!!!  You are doing great and yes you can do this!!!  It will get better........sara
It took me about a month before my sleep cycle started to normalize. I still use OTC sleep aids occasionally. I had a naltrexone implant after detox. I think it causes more trouble with anxiety and lack of sleep. My sleep cycle normalized and anxiety disappeared instantly after the implant dissolved. Sara is right, sleep and energy are the last to return, but it does. I am 4 months today and have never felt better.
16 to 25 for me AND I'm working on being CLEAN for 64 DAYS..

Although I STILL take Excedrin PM when I'm "Hurtin' for Certain' (still have my back pain and sciatic leg pain) BUT only take it when I need it...

I want to say about a week perhaps two before it was a full nights sleep.It was not till night 4 that I slept at all so even 3 or 4 hours was heaven to me .I exercised ALOT to help me get tired and to kick start the dompaine receptors in my Brian that were not used to working anymore :)
i was sleeping all the time. taking naps during the day and about 5 hours at nite. had to take a sleeping pill on nite #3. could not sleep at all. but that was the only nite.
maybe the amino acids helped??????
I couldnt vote as i had the opposite problem and coulda slept 16 hrs a day if i hadnt had to work...actually the sleeping too much almost became a problem for me
i would have to say 8 to 15.....some nights i slept....other nights were spent lying awake...this went on for about 8 weeks then leveled out....i think it was around day 9/10 that i got about 6 full hours...uggh the worst part of wds for me...maria
It seems that chopper fell asleep. He never returned.

Good for you chopper!!!! I hope you are snoring loudly and not counting sheep......zzzzzzz
yes Chopper finally fell asleep with his laptop on his lap lol wow 20 people responded.  I'm back.  I've got a question for everyone so I'm on 29 days clean from opiates.  I went out to lunch with a bunch of people today and when I sat down they had a beer sitting in front of me.  I drank not one but two, but I've never had a problem with alchohol.  Can I enjoy a glass of wine or a few beers once in a great while or is it dangerous for me???
many here do continue to drink alcohol..is it the best thing to do?  not really as alcohol is a substance and u can possibly trade one problem for another,,the risk is there,,,some qalkies never get addicted pills and vice versa...but u r in a high risk group being an addict to abuse alcohol...only u know u...and u gotta figure this out,,if u decide to drink then the secoond u feel u r stepping into dangerous territory...then u know u cant drink successfully..just dont let it drag on and on..alcohol really can get most in more trouble than pills...be safe
I've never had a problem with alcohol so I think its safe for me to drink socially. I guess its the same for others who are OK with that particular substance.

What would be very risky is drinking to help get to sleep which would just start another dependance cycle. Another thing that would be very risky would be drinking to excess, even moderately if that makes sense. During WD any hangover is likely to be many times worse than normal so could lead to a relapse.

On the sleeplessness issue, I'm on day 16 day and I'm barely sleeping still, really wears you down TBH so good to hear you did finally manage to nod off.
I've just crossed the one week mark being clean and I was also wondering this exact same thing as I still struggle with being able to sleep. While it can be unbelievably frustrating to watch the clock roll past each hour, I still feel so much better than I did while on the pills. I will remain patient and I almost see this as my punishment from my body for abusing it.
the first 5 nights i had to take a sleep aid, but thereafter i was getting between 6 to 8 hours with no sleep aids.  I was also able to eat the entire wd process , perhaps my addiction wasnt too bad.
I'm off pain meds for 24 days now but I've needed some kind of otc sleep aid for a long time now.  Could be the meds could be I'm 56 and going through menopause lol  Getting old ***** lol  However, I'm definitely getting more energy and I'm begining to feel like my old fairly happy self again.  I'm having to deal with the athritis pain some other way but I'd rather have the pain than deal with the addiction.  Good Luck to all, and God Bless
Im on Day 13, starting Day 14 in a few hrs off pain meds, and I am still having trouble sleeping and restlessness..Not as bad, of course, and I always was a bad sleeper anyway so its kind of hard to tell with me...
Yesterday and the day before I was able to get 6 hrs, maybe a little more...It wasnt straight, but when I woke up, I was able to go back to sleep, so thats good for me...
Prior to that I was getting either no sleep, or 2 -3 hrs and was totally exhausted all day, but still could not even nap in the day..
I'm on day 46 and i still need sleep aids,even with them I'm only getting 4 to 5 hours sleep a night and I wake regularly through the night.But I do have other problems as well as the addictions.
OTC sleep aids just made my RLS worse...I would sleep 2 to 3 hrs a night...always having crazy dreams...during the 1st wk...I was so releaved when I slept 5 hrs..

Lack of sleep and rls is the main reason I know I will NEVER go back...
My boyfriend is on day 14 and still not a full night sleep.  However it is much better then the first 10 days.  He sleeps now about 2 or 3 hours at a time.  Some is better than none.  He is able to go to sleep during the day also cause I try to take care of everything while he is going thru this.  Hope he will sleep a full night soon.
mine was about day 20, sleep aids did nothing for me. GOOD POLL , AND I DO THINK IT GIVE HOPE TO OTHERS!!!
At day 40 and have yet to get a full nite sleep. Always wake up atleast once around 1:00am and always awake between 4 and 5:00am. I cant even dream of a good nite sleep because I cant stay asleep long enough to dream.