Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Alcohol Flush Reaction

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Alcohol Flush Reaction

i have Alcohol Flush Reaction which means my liver cannot break down alcohol i have a missing enzyme now i want to know if there is any cure like if i can take a certain pill so my body can digest alcohol... i want answers I DONT wanna hear your experiences with this problem i just want answers

thank you =)
maybe your body is telling you to quit drinking alcohol...
maybe you could have a liver transplant:]
it's hard to get advice here other than "DON'T DO IT" - tapering advice usually ends in "GO COLD TURKEY 'cause you are an addict and you'll never have self-control enough" etc.......

..... so if your looking for advice on how to use a drug (or alcohol) and avoid the consequences - you'll get responses like above and ....well I can see where they are coming from.....however, I personally believe addiction/dependency is not as BLACK/WHITE as that.

Not sure what your asking but I get flushed too when I drink. I drink rarely though.

If you have a 'problem' with alcohol then that is another story.....great support here on these boards - lot's of people who have "been there" but your question sort of sounds like more or a medical question (prolly best on a different forum) or your looking for a way to continue alcohol use....and I think many here MAY assume that's what your asking.....thus their responses.

I can't speak for them. But I think whether you have a problem metabolizing alcohol or a problem abusing it......your gonna get the same response.

I mean replace milk say for alcohol.....some may give the same advice.....if your lactose intolerant then stop drinking milk - right?

This is a forum on addiction and people who have issues with abusing alcohol or drugs.

Having said that. Dependency/addiction is different for everyone.

People here are typically looking for advice on how to STOP using a 'substance' and less about how to PROLONG the behavior.....lol

So to end my ramble......... i sense by your comment "i want answers I DONT wanna hear your experiences with this problem i just want answers" - you are reading responses that either don't agree with you......or your probably in the wrong forum.

Good luck!

Sandman
Wow.. you pretty much summed that one right on up.. lol!.. But seriously, I don't think anyone could have explained that better than you. I liked the, "If you are lactose intolerant, then you don't drink milk" comment. I am sorry Summer.. I am not trying to make a joke of you, but this is not a place to figure out how you can get messed up.. The rest of us are trying to get clean.
Take Pepcid or Pepto Bismal about 1 hour before you start drinking.  You wont flush like you usually do.  Trust me, this works.
I meant summer_love, not Alcohol Flush Reaction.  He he.  I'll repeat this again.  Take Pepcid or Pepto Bismol about an hour before you start drinking.  This will help you to avoid some of the flushing reactions.  It really works.  I hope you're not an alcoholic!
Here is some additional information about the "genetics" of this condition that was written by our Genetic Counselor and other genetic professionals: http://www.accessdna.com/condition/Alcohol_Flush_Reaction/21.  I hope it helps.  Thanks, AccessDNA
heard this on a tv show - take a teaspoon of sugar prior to drinking. I tried it and it seems to make the flushing milder.
If your body is missing an enzyme that breaks the alcohol down then unfortunately you are probably just out of luck when it comes to alcohol.  I know they make lactaid to help with lactose intolerant issues, but i don't believe they make an enzyme to help people drink