Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Alcohol allergy?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Alcohol allergy?

Ever since a bad experience with alcohol a couple of years ago, i have been having very strong reactions whenever i drink. Before this incident, i did have some kind of reaction to alcohol, having a red face and increased heart beat. Now, i have the same symptoms, but in addition if feel very ill to the stomach and have the need to regurgitate the alcohol. I do not feel drunk at all during this experience, which occurs from as little as 1/2 a bottle of alcohol.
  I am a male from an asian background, so i am aware that many other people like me have a low tolerance to alcohol.

Have i developed a violent allergy to alcohol? Am i now intolerant of this substance? Is there any way for treatment of such an allergy/intolerance?  Could it be something else?

Thanks,

JC
I too am allergic to Alcohol. I am asian and a femail and am 18 years of aga. When every i drink half a bottle even of stoli or anything I get hives which last for three to four days depending on how much I have drunk. It has seem to gotten worse as I have acouple sips and i get hives. The hives are very painful and my skin is swallon and bloated for three to four days. I have to stay in bed and i feel like i am being poisoned. My mum says if i drink too much next time I might have to go to the hospital because of alcohol posioning. Is there a cure??? Please help!!

I am a very moderate drinker, perhaps 1 to 2 drinks per month. The last three times I have had a drink I have had a very serious reaction. After drinking about 1/4 of the beverage, I get severe chest pain, a burning that runs through my neck and shoulders, and I perspire profusely. This lasts for about 10 minutes, and then it suddenly fades away, and I almost feel like it never happened. But during the incident, I am unable to do anything; walking doesn't help, sitting doesn't help. These "episodes" are very painful.  What he heck is going on? I am a healthy, white 27 year old female.
My husband has been an asthmatic all his life. Just lately, however, he has been having hay fever reactions every time he drinks alcohol. The confusing thing is that he get a blocked nose and sneezes when drinking spirits, beer, wine or even de-alcoholised wine. What is the common factor in all these?
It is a real problem for him as he feels that he doesn't want to even socialise with drinkers now. He feels that everyone is relaxed and happy and he is sober and boring drinking coke!
Any suggestions?
There is a very strong line of alcoholism on my fathers side of the family 100% Swedish side.  My other background is American Indian and Italian.  I get bloated in the hands and flush cheeks while drinking alcohol.  I have been waking up every morning with my hands still bloated even if I have not had a glass of wine.  How long does the alcohol stay in my system.  I have never been a heavy drinker because of the family history.  What is going on with me?
I too am asian and have the same problem...but my question is, can i beat it if i drink often and heavily enough?
For the past couple of years now whenever i've been drinking over the weekend, the next day I will come out in a rash all over sometimes a lot worse than others, is this some form of allergy/intolerance as its only started in the last 2 years?
Yours
John
Is there any way to prevent this reaction aside from abstaining from alcohol. If there is please e-mail me at ***@****.
I think its a problem to stop drinking alcohol among good friends becuase i become very red and on my cheeks and shoulders.

is there a medicene that reduces the redness.

thank you

mr-j
Everytime one of my friends has a couple drinks of whiskey and coke her face gets red and blotchy.  It turns like a fire red and doesn't go away for a long time.  Is she allergic to whiskey?

my lips swell and my nose gets numb 2-3 days after i have ingested alcohol
could this be an allergy that is delayed
hi, me and my friend went out for a few drinks a week ago. My friend is allergic to alcohol. After a few drinks, she started to itch very badly all over. Over the next few days, her whole body swelled, especially her hands and feet, making moving a discomfort. At the moment, her whole body is begining to peel, dead skin is just flaking off her body. I have never seen an allergy like that before. Do you know what is going on? Is this normal for an allergy? Thanks for your help

mabel
I JUST WANT A CURE FOR "Alcohol Flush Reaction" and this is the reaction that everyone has experienced here! this means your body cannot digest alcohol properly causing these reactions now i just want to drink and have a good time is there anything out there that i could take to digest this??

PLEASE HELP!!!! =(
This is a forum for people trying to stop their addictions. Why don't you just go to a doctor?
Allergic reactions to alcohol, having a red faceFace pain and eye and increased heart beat. Now, i have the same symptoms, but in addition if feel very ill to the stomach and have the need to regurgitate the alcohol. I do not feel drunk at all during this experience, which occurs from as littleLittle noses decongestant
Little tummys as 1/2 a bottle of alcohol.  I am a male from india,  

Have i developed a violent allergy to alcohol? Am i now intolerant of this substanceDrug abuse? Is there any way for treatment of such an allergy/intolerance?  Could it be something else?

Thanks,
you might want to check out the book "7 Weeks to Sobriety" it has supplements suggested specifically for the allergic/addicted alcoholic to help through withdrawl (withdrawal) and onto recovery and repair
Gez, come off it. Why is everyone asking for 'a cure' to an alcohol allergic reaction? People who are allergic to nuts don't eat it. People who are lactose intolerant don't eat dairy. SO people who are allergic to alcohol should not drink!

I haven't had a drink for a very long time, not because I'm an alcoholic but just because it doesn't do anything for me. I had around 2 drinks a few days ago with dinner and realized I developed an allergy to alcohol. I got violently ill, I'm still pretty sick from the alcohol. I didn't even feel tipsy or drunk. I don't really care about drinking, it doesn't make me more social or happier so I never want to have a drink again.  I feel like I have the flu and it's been 4 days already.

Come on folks, if you feel just as horrible as me, why would you want to keep drinking and get sick again. Even if there is a cure,  I don't even want to take a risk of drinking if the cure doesn't work. I feel more sick than when I had the flu a few months ago.

People desperately wanting a help from a cure should get help from AA meetings instead of looking for a cure!
I have same problem, u got any treatment for the same pl let  me know...