Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Alcohol and Local Anesthetics

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Alcohol and Local Anesthetics

I broke a bone in my hand and they are going to put a screw in it. It is going to be a local anesthetic with the surgery being at 1pm. The doctor told me that the procedure lasts and about an hour. My question is can I drink alcohol that night, say around 8pm. What side effects will happen with just a local anesthetic.

Thanks.
Booze thins your blood so probably not a good idea
Definitely not adviseable to drink alcohol the night before this procedure.  Like j34 above mentioned, alcohol IS a blood thinner, so it could cause some increased bleeding.  Not to mention, the anesthesia may cause you a few side effects, and alcohol use could possibly worsen those.

Just not a good idea all around.
Avatar n tn
Sorry I should clarify, I'm drinking the in the night after my surgery in the afternoon.