Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Allergic reaction to alcohol?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Allergic reaction to alcohol?

Sure glad I found this website!
Well, I've been a avid beer drinker for quite some time.  I can relate to the Asian Alcohol issue discussed, after living in Japan for 5 years!  They do have good beer, and it is much stronger than US beer!
For several years, I've equated, or rationalized my increasing tolerance to alcohol with a rigoruous exercise program-rowing, exercise bike, lifting weights (which doesn't prevent me from gaining weight though).
Also, for about the last 3 years, I started using melatonin to sleep (yes, after several beers during week, and as much as 10-14 on weekend nights (over periods of 6-10 hours)-never really experiencing sickness and/or hangovers)).
I've been in Dallas for the last 3.5 years-one of the dirtiest cities re air pollution in the US (I know this from my Fed job). Well, this winter season my allergies have been severe, worse than ever, to the point where I'm wearing nose strips (for snoring, but not in my case) to prevent my nose from running, me sneezing, etc.  I do have somewhat of a chemical safety background, being a chemical and environmental engineer, and having learned about and witnessed chemical sensitivities in others, performing env field and hazardous waste sample collection, etc.  I've thought maybe my cat and/or the building I work in (ie, sick building syndrom (syndrome)) could be causing this reaction also.
Just this last Mon night, I drank (only this time) about 4 beers, then took one milligram of melatonin.  I sleep for maybe 2-3 hours (normal for me, with this amount of melatonin (I'll usually take more during the night after that).  This time, I didn't take more because my heart beat must have been at least 90-110/min, causing me to toss and turn for the next several hours, and as always (it happens!), drift off to sleep just before it was time to wake for work!
I didn't drink Tues and Wed night, because I'd planned to change my exercise program to swimming at the new YMCA across the street. And a funny thing occured Tues night, I noticed that I wasn't sneezing, my nose wasn't running, I wasn't coughing, and I was breathing normally!!  The same occurred Wed-no alcohol and free breathing!
Well, last night (Thurs), I drank (only again) 40 ounces of beer, while eating sushi (no reactions to sushi!-don't worry) and with the first beer, here came the sneezing, coughing, lung congestion, and need to put on another nose strip.  Then I had a miserable night, due to these breathing problems.  Thank God I scheduled earlier to be off work today/Fri.

QUESTIONS, please---

1. Can my lung reactions/severally disturbed breathing, be an allergic reaction to ALCOHOL?
2. Could it be the type of beer (ie, wheat, different hops, grains, etc.), causing the reactions?  
(I don't need a rationalization to continue drinking if it is "alcohol" alone-I don't need to experiment to learn if different beers will cause me different reactions!).
3. And last, but not least, am I probably, now, missing the enzyme discussed on other msgs, that Asians don't have, etc.?
(I've put my body through it, I know, if it would be the case)
4. Could it be, as I learned, the "synergistic effect" of all the chemicals I'm exposed to now and in the past, being set off, in re the my reactions, by the alcohol?

I watched my Sister (who never drank or smoked) endure 8 years of cancer, including lung cancer and lung surgery, so I don't need much coaching, etc., to stop drinking, if that's what's causing my lung problems!

Please excuse my long email, Ladies and Gentlemen of the Medical Profession, but I hope it will help others who may read it!

Thanks and have a great day, from it looks like an ex-drinker!
I have the same thing happen to me when I eat chicken!!! Wierd huh?  There have been some posts on here before about reactions to beer.  You should scan down the board and see if you find them.  Take Care
Wow!
Thanks Chad!  Chicken huh?  I've heard of people having reactions to different foods.  There was a sumo wrestler in Japan who died
from eating too much Blowfish (called "Fugu").  I sort of have always gotten an itchy allergic reaction to eating celery, but nothing like the beer's done to me this week!
Appreciate your comment!
Take care, and stick to beef, fish, lamb, turkey (maybe not turkey-sort of close to chicken maybe!-joke, but maybe true?!).
Thanks again!
Tiofromrio
Just ck'd that site out you mentioned above^....How long have yall been in music??  I have a whole family of musicians.   I cant tell you who they are cuz then u would know where I'm from,
and so would my family, if they are hovering around this site. I used to play the drums, but was stealing someones thunder, so I quit.
Your post was interesting to me.  It sounds like you are asking whether alcohol is causing your sleep and allergy symptoms?  I think that alcohol is indeed causing your problems. I had very similar problems that disappeared after I quit drinking.  I had sleep apnea, terrible snoring, nose bleeds, sneezing fits and trouble sleeping for more than one to two hours at a time.  

Try complete abstinence from alcohol for a few days and see what happens.  If you are addicted to alcohol, this will be rather difficult.  I drank alcoholically for many years and my tolerance was very high in that during the course of a normal day I would consume probably 36 ounces per day just to feel good.  That's 36 oz. of hard liquor, not beer!  After my liver blew out, 2 oz's would give me a buzz and cause severe nausea and pain.  Don't go down that road my friend, please!  J.B.
Haha, Lay off the fowl huh? : )  Yeah like you said in the top post this morning.  It could be the hops, barley or even type of beer?  Does liquor do that to you as well?  I would just stop drinking all together.  It's too much work to get where you need to get, just to feel like **** in the morning (headache, **** in your mouth from smoking all night!!) hahaha  Take care and if you ever want to chat privatly e-mail me ok?
***@****  Do you like funk music?  http://www.lachoza.tv go to the sounds page, that's my band.
Take Care Again
.....I didnt play for long.  They were my siblings (??) He would spit nails when he caught me on them.  I was young.  Just got my son some for christmas last yr.  We sold them.  Guess its not in his blood.  Didnt give it a chance.  That was the first time I played on them in a while, 15 yrs.  Well hold on to your dreams, cuz you will be very sad and wonder what if??? For the rest of your life.  Good-luck!  Thanks for the email add.
Well, we've been musicians for 9-10 years, I'm 20-something and so is Casey.  We love it.  There is no other high like being on stage and people screaming after you're done playing songs.  You played the drums huh?   If you want to talk privatly e-mail me ok?  I'd like to chat with ya.  ***@****
Take Care
Chad
Well, I'll try to answer your questions as best I can...first let me say that my sister quit drinking and her husband said she snored REALLY loud when drinking and now doesn't (pretty funny).   I learned in chemistry and microbiology class about different alcohol mixtures and how they are made and that very same allergic question came up...and YES, it can be the wheat, grains, etc contained in the alcohol.  Your body also changes thru out your life and what you were not allergic to years ago or even last week can change.  Alcohol also interferes with your sleep cycle and excessive drinking or quitting can cause insomnia for some time - which will eventually resolve on it's own (without melatonin) if that was the cause of the insomnia in the first place  Exercising is SO GOOD for your body and will help.  I can't remember your other questions (this new forum format won't let me look at your post like the old one when responding) so I hope I helped.  God Bless and take care, Maryanne
Just wanted to say I really appreciate your comments JB and Flowerchild (hey, what generation are you from?-I caught the tail end of the hippie gen, graduating high school in '76 (but enjoying the most of that hip gen!)).  

**Hey yall-read this book I'm now reading-  "The Crazy Makers" by Carol Simontachi. I've concluded from this, and yall's comments, that it's the "wheat" causing my reaction.  The book will change your eating habits too.

Esp since I recently (2-3 months ago) starting buying 40-60% Bavarian beer (found a store with great prices!). The 60 bothers me-coughing, sneezing, etc., but the 40 doesn't.  Also, a certain Czechoslovakian beer -Pils Querell, or something like that-green bottle, the only Czeck beer I know of in the US (spelling sux, I know).  This beer causes my bad reactions.

Thanks again to yall and pls write back!
I graduated high school in 1969 and hung out in Boulder Colorado for a year before Uncle Sam got ahold of me.  

That beer you were talking about might be Pilsner Erquell which is sold in four packs as I recall.  I used to hang out in a bar that carried 140 brands of beer and got a T shirt for trying them all!  Some beers did give me some of the reactions that you've described here with the hangover being most remorable.

Take care,  J.B.
Thanks JB!
Well,
I worked in Denver (Littleton) for 2, 6-month terms, back
in '78 and '79 as a cooperative education student, at Johns Manville, at the Ken-Caryl Ranch.
Spent lots of time in Boulder-boy, went to some good (all day) concerts there!  That's a pretty liberal place, huh?  It
still is today!
You're correct on the beer-I'm able (or was!)
to buy in 6-packs-about $6-7.
Were you in the Army?  I was a Marine Corp reservist for
6 (long) years, from '80 to '86.  The first year was fun,
after that like going to jail once a month.  Had lots of
fun though (those being my younger days), before the
military started "urinalysis".
Take it easy and thanks for the reply!
What a coincidence!  I was discharged from the Army at Ft. Carson, CO.  I settled in Littleton and went to Arapaho Community College for two years.  I bought my first house in Unincorporated Littleton near Chatfield Reservoir.  I lived about five miles east of the Martin Marietta complex up until 1983.  Wow, what a trip!  Remember Turkey Creek Canyon and Deckers?  My daughter moved back to Littleton a few years ago and boy have things changed around there!  It's unbelievable how Denver has changed in the last few years.  I would love to move back to Colorado some day but you know how that goes.

J.B.