Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Alternative to Xanax-Pristiq-?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Alternative to Xanax-Pristiq-?

hey all...i was just put on an anti-depressant called Pristiq..i was put on it for anxiety rather than continue on w/ xanax which is not good for me.so far it's been amazing...it's non-narcotic; (supposedly) non addictive; gives you energy; it'sdifferent. just thought if anyone was interested in a possible alternative, check into it? it's brand new so no generic (expensive!!) but doc may have samples-mine did. i love it and i thought i was going to be doomed to be in lala land forever on xanax. just wanted to let anyone who was interested know! thanks...anne
That is great news and I am so happy for you that you feel better!  I am a pharmacuetical rep and I seePrystiq in the sample closets at drs offices all the time.  Basically what it is is a reformulated Effexor XR (antidepressant).  It word on seratonin and norepinephrine (mood and motivation).  At higher doses it does hit some dopamine receptors.  Please be sure to not stop this drug without tapering to lowest dose as you will experience wd's (nothing like pill wd's) but mild flu like symptoms.  i used to sell Effexor XR and my girlfriend sells Pristiq and said it is the same.  It is a great drug and will really help with you anxiety!!  I wishing you continued success and happiness!!!  Feel free to ask any more question/concerns you may have!  Ladydi4185
I just wish sometimes you people would enlighten patients darkness by telling them about natural stuff that helps with depression or even the withdrawals such as  OMEGA 3 and AQUAZON dietary supplements. AQUAZON is prepared by Amazon Herb Co. and it hits your happy spot. Also lots of sunlight or a great deal of vitamin D does help to rid a person of depression along with regular exercise. I went cold turkey of wellbutrin and lexapro at once a year ago and these are what has been helping me to stand strong.