Alzheimer's patient addicted to Tramadol-Need info fast!
My 86 year old mother is in late stage Alzheimer's. She is very, very frail and has been in hospice care for 3 years. She has been on 150mg of Tramadol for over 8 years. She is suffering from severe myoclonus and seratonin toxicity and hospice wants to take her off Tramadol and replace it with something else. I can find no info at all on withdrawal and tapering protocol in elderly debilitated Alzheimer's patients.  My mom can't speak or communicate and I am absolutely horrified at what she may experience.  But the Tramadol side effects she is experiencing are life threatening.  Her hospice nurse and ARNP have the attitude that I'm overly worried and that this won't be a "big deal" and their mindset is making me doubly anxious as they don't seem knowledgeable at all about this. My mom doesn't have another doctor. Any advice anyone could give me would be hugely appreciated. I'm beside myself about this.
Hi Cooper,

First, I'm so sorry about your mother. Are they  going to be switching her to another pain medicine?
I am so sorry about your Mom.  I do have experience with Tramadol; I took it for a very long time at doses much higher than what your Mom is on, but my age and health situation is/was much different.

If the side affects of the tramadol are life threatening then it is understandable why it needs to be stopped.  Withdrawal symptoms are temporary and there are things that can be done to reduce the severity - but how this would apply to a person of your Mom's age in a compromised health situation - I just don't know.  Is there any other doctor or medical professional that you can turn to?  Hopefully someone will come along here with some better information or suggestion(s).    

I am praying for you and your Mom
Im sorry,,,this might hurt. My father died from this at a early age hospice was giving him morphine,,,i dont see her going thri much with the changein my dads case his mind went with his body in perfect health it took forever for his body to give out but when it did i was at the point i was happy for him,,,in my mind this is the worst way to go,,,if i was reliving this and i was put in this position if the.change took my father i would be relieved,,,im sorry you have to go thru this ive lived it,,,,