Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Am i really in pain or is it a addiction to vicodin and tramadol?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Here is my story. I was diagnosed with "questionable" lupus when I was 15 years old and the doctor prescribed me tramadal once a day. At age now 23, I am on tramadol 4 times a day. I guess my body builded a immune to the pain meds and i started self medicating with vicodin. So for over a year now i have been takin 4 tramadol and a half of a 7.5 vicodin. The past couple of months i have added a quarter of a vicodin to my daily meds. Sometimes i wonder if im really in true pain or am i making the pain worse. I am so confused. There are days were i could go without the extra quarter of a vicodin or with only 3 tramadol, but i sit there thinking about it, and take hem anyway. I do not have anone to really talk to about this because i do not want to be judge, and in the real world people do judge.Please help!!!
I agree...no one can judge u unless they walked in ur shoes for more than a day!  in reality narcoics r not the  pain relief of choice for autoimmune diseases like lupus///nor fibromyalgia
Narcotics were not originated for long term pain due to the tolerence people build to them//and the riskof addiction
Narcotics only interrupt the pain signals to ur brain..they do not have the direct relief/effects of many other safer and non-adddictive drugs or relief mechanisms like ice, heat, stretching, yoga///the list can go on and on

my sister has lupus..lupus can be a chronic painful condition or a condition that causes no problems..she was diagnosed/when in reality u can not diagnose lupus, fibromyalgia or MS..many others//symptoms r used for dx/when she was pregnant she was DX-d with lupus//no problems since after delievery

I have been diagnosed/again diagnosed with fibromyalgia....dunno...doesnt really matter...peopole can walk around with a herniated disc and never feel an ounce of pain..whereas another will suffer from the pain horribly..pain is real and each person has a different threshold

For me the pain of addiction outweighed my back pain..was stressful and my stress aggravates my pain..worrying bout pills all the times gets a bit stressful

I am not sure where u r atin this addiction cycle/physicall, mentally or both///and both meaning u r an addict...u r on a relatively low dose of narcotics and narcotic-like drugs..get off the merry go round while u can..

andit is very likely the pills r causing u more pain than ur conddition..it is common among long term pain relief people

goodluck..do u wanna quit?  trams must be tapered..the vikes u can flush right now and be done withit

if u need any help//there is alot of it here on theis forum..so keep posting
I am so terrified to stop. I recently admitted to myself that i am physically and mentally addicted. It takes all my will power to not take more meds. Also im scared that my teachers might know. I graduate in december in a medical career and my teachers would know by a glance all the symptoms of a withdrawl (withdrawal). I think about how my little girl would view me as well. I never believed that one script from the doctor 8 years ago would cause so much pain.