Ambien Addiction
Please Could someone help with Ambien Withdrawal. I have been using up to 40mg of ambien a night for 12 years i now want to get off the stuff but can not get to sleep without it and only get 2 hours sleep on 10mg. what should i do. i have been to see 2 psychiatrsts but neither seem able to or want to help me???
hi carol and welcome to the SA forum. when you use pills they suppress the natural brain chemistry and then provide it to you synthetically. when you stop taking the pills it will take time for your brain chemistry to begin to produce the natural endrophins,dopamines,and serotonins.this will take time. all these chemicals regulate sleep and emotions, body functions.  time will heal mentally,physically,emotionally and spiritually.
stay at 10mg for awhile and you body will begin to produce the chemicals again,as you continue to drop your dose your body will continue to regulate.
you have been on the ambien for 12 years, so you need to be patient. you didnt become dependent overnight and you also wont heal overnight.
look for over the counter natural sleep aids, alteril and sleep by nature made the main ingredients are valerian root and melatonin along with other natural extracts.
debbie