Ambien and benadryl
I have a friend who takes two 10 mg of ambien evernight along with 4 to 6 benadryls to sleep. This is everynight and has been doing it for ohhh i would say at least a year. She doesnt take anything else or drink. Do u think this is an issue at all? She says she cannot sleep well any other way. And if this is the case is she gonna have to take this her entire life because I know insomnia can be a chronic sleep issue for life. I too have insomnia but am able to deal with it taking half a 10 mg ambien (so 5 mg) maybe 3 or 4 times a month. What she takes seems excessive to me....wanted to get ur thoughts on this. TIA!
Yes I do think this is an issue. Have you talked to her about it? I believe that if someone takes something that has nothing to do with what it's for...there's a problem. I took pain killers but I had no pain...
What does she think?
Does she think it's an issue?  Personally,I think Ambien is a dangerous drug to be taking all the time. But,if she can't sleep and hasn't increased her dose for a year,then this is her lifestyle. I don't agree with it either but I know insomnia can be just horrible.

There are other things she can take. If she wants to try it, suggest Melatonin and Valerian root. It's safe and it works for a lot of people. However,anyone on SSRI's should avoid Melatonin.
She doesnt think its an issue and hasnt increased her dose. I have talked to her about it and the only issue she has it that she is kind of bummed she cant sleep naturally on her own like most people can. Ive told her to be careful not to increase her dosage at all and if she wants to get off talk to her Dr. first cause I have heard that coming off of ambien might require weaning instead of cold turkey.
Yes. You're right.  She can speak to her doctor about other remedies. I just hate Ambien and it gets pushed like crazy!!  

I'd bet it's the Benadryl that's doing the work here. Ambien doesn't work well after awhile,unless you increase the dose. Then,look out!!  The crazy stuff happens!!

She might cut the Ambien in half,take it with the Benadryl for awhile and see what that does. She probably doesn't want to take it either! There are several ways she can use the OTC's to her advantage...
Thanks for responding...I will tell her to try and start weaning....like u said cut one in half for awhile etc etc.  Mybe she can cut down to just benadryl!
It can be very very tough to wean off ambien and still get the amount of sleep you need.    The brain chemistry gets used to the ambien and stops producing its own natural chemicals.    Gradually the same dose no longer works like it did in the past.     In fact,  I've heard that some long time users of ambien had to enter a rehab facility to get totally off of it.    
Wow I didnt realize ambien could be such an issue. You hear so much about pain pills and not enough about these darn sleeping pills! Now I am paranoid and dont want to take my own ambien....hahaha
I know what you mean Devonlee...I'm paranoid to take cough medicine!! lol