Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Amino Acids

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Amino Acids

To everyone who was asking in my update post.. I will list the suggested amino's and there doses.. YOu do not have to take all of these... The ones listed are primarily for addiction to pain pills or opiates or any kind, and ones to help with depression and anxiety that is caused by pill abuse and detox.. also PAWS (Post Accute Withdrawl (withdrawal) Syndrome).. I will put " ** " by the ones that are essential.. But doing the whole treatment will have the best results..

All of this program is from the book END YOUR ADDICTION NOW.. the doctor who wrote it ran a treatment facility in UPstate New york where they gave patients amino acids and vitamin via IV during treatment.. He also counsels patients individually.. All of these things are meant to rebuild activity in the major neuro transmitters.. as addicts our neurotransmitters have been disrupted by our use of drugs.. even stuff like cigarettes and eating alot of sugar can disrupt them.. with drugs however it can be more damaging.. I will list the aminos maily used for addiction, their dosages etc.. everything should be taken on a empty stomach... an hour b4 meals.. Take all of them together with lots of water...

**B- vitamin Complex either 50mgs or 100mgs, needed for absorption of aminos..

**Multi mineral vitamin, just good to take all around

5HTP-- this is what tryptophan gets turned into prior to being turned into serotonin in our brains. Serotonin is what is usually depleted if we are depressed and anxious.. Taking this will help with PAWS ( post accute withdrawl (withdrawal) syndrome) or eliminate you suffering from them all together      DO NOT TAKE IF YOU ARE TAKING A SSRI OR TRICYLIC ANTI DEPRESSANT
Dosage-- up to 300mgs a day 3x DAILY ( I take 100mgs 3x per day, start with the lower dose and move up if needed)

**L-glutamine--amino acid required for GABA production, that is the relaxing part of our brain.    up to 2000mgs 3x per day.. ( I take 1000 mgs 3x day, again start lower and work up if needed)

L-Taurine-- another "relaxing" amino  up to 1000mgs 3x daily

**DLPA-- helps restore/rebuilds the function to the pain receptors working with the enporphins/enkephalins ( "your natural opiates")
DO NOT TAKE IF YOU ARE TAKING A SSRI OR TRICYLIC ANTIDEPRESSANT
Dose-- up to 2000mgs 3x per day (again you can start lower like 1000mgs 3x daily)

L-leucine-- required for the production of endorphins up to 500mgs 3x per day

L-methionine-- same as leucine

If you find yourself really struggling with energy after being on the aminos you can add L-tyrosine to the mix in the early part of the day.. up to 1,500mgs..  This is not usually used in the treatment of pain pill addiction and can over stimulate some people I would say only take it if you are still struggling with energy after starting everything else..

If you find yourself having some anxiety the amino L-theanine is like natural valium.. It has helped me so much I no longer need to take xanax at all for my panic attacks

If you are interested in other ways to help heal.  Ester C 500mgs to 1000mgs per day can be very helpful.. as well as extra calcium and magnesium.. Alpha lipoic acid is a anti oxidant that helps portect your body against free radicals.. EFA"S can also help in the form of fish oils and omega 3's

As far as sleep.. in my early days off of pills I took a sleep blend from GNC with a L-theanine and calcium magnesium liquid everynight and slept like a baby.

I suggest GNC to purchase this stuff they are pretty cheap (some stuff is only 4.99 a bottle)  they were also super helpful and knew alot.. I got a gold card to save some bucks in the future..

After a few months if you are feeling good you can taper the aminos back to once a day... then a few months after that a few times a week.. the best part about taking aminos instead of drugs is you don't have to take them forever to get the benefit.. they FIX the problem not put a band aid on it..

If you have any questions I am always around.. Stephanie

i see that some cant be taken with SSRI or tricylic anti. depr., what about xanax and klonipin (klonopin)?  i just printed out your post and am headed to local rite-aid. walmart, brooks or walgreens, wherever i can get it, on friday...  we dont have a GNC around here, thanks hun...
Benzo's are fine... you may find that once you start the aminos you will not feel the need to take them as much..
The reason not to take the with SSRI's is that it can cause an over abundance of serotonin.. Which causes headaches and other unpleasant symptoms.. even serotonin syndrome..
When I went on the amino's I tapered off my anti depressants..and I only took xanax on occasion for panic attacks.. so I stopped those too..
your awesome peeps!!  i think my new anti-depressant is a tricylic one...gotta google...thanx
i also just wanted to mention in case i didnt tell you, i have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and its not fun, so if you have any questions i might be able to help you in that area, although its a fairly new diagnoses to me also, but have done alot of online research on it...
what were your symptoms when you were diagnosed?? My mom is the one who brought the idea up.  We were discussing how I was feeling.. She has rheumatiod arthritis in her neck. So I looked some stuff up on web.md  and alot of stuff matched up with fibro.. especially all the muscle pain and spasms I have.. and I have tightness in my jaw.. but I don't grind my teeth.. weird stuff..
Let me know.. I would love to hear about how you got diagnosed..
You can also check with you doc or the pharmacist you go to... They generalize all of them.. but the doctor is the book used them with some people while they were tapering off of their anti depressant..
I find that the 5HTP with the L-glutamine helps me way more than Lexapro or Trazodone did.. I feel like myself.. not a "numbed" version of me... I felt like my emotions were "watered down" if that makes sense.. and they had also helped to suck all the sex drive out of me.. which is one of the things I am working on with my acupunturist.. seems even after stopping pills and AD's  it still hasn't returned.. so gonna get some help with it..
this is new to me as of october (fibro) is when it started or i should say got to the point it interfered with my life, i just got diagnosed with it in may. fibro is a strange disease, my symptoms are, headaches, teeth grinding and clenching, unbeleivable soreness in my legs and arms and this is how i explain the limb pain: have you ever gone hiking or on a long walk after not walking/hiking in a while and you come home from the hike feeling great, but when you wake up the next morning your leg muscles are so sore from the walking they are tight and it really takes a while to work out the tightness so you can move normally...that is what my arms and legs feel like everyday, like i ran a marathon for the first time everyday...sometimes its not too bad, but other times you can get a  "flare" and it can last for days to months, it is very unpredictable for me, my feet hurt, and it doesnt matter if i slept for 24 hours straight, i can guarantee i will wake up exhausted, i am always tired, always fatigued, i have carpel tunnel. also some shoulder problems i cant even say let alone spell...but it can lead to frozen shoulder, tennis elbow,bursitis, tendonitis... i have no problem getting to sleep but have problems staying asleep. i sleep in 2 hour intervals, and could take 2 naps a day if i allowed myself to. depression is a big part of it because alot of doctors think fibromyalgia doesnt exsist, they dont beleive, so patients that are truly suffering are sent home with an anti-depressant because alot of doctors associate that type of pain  as a sign of depression, when actually its the other way around, we get depressed because we cant get the help or diagnoses we need, i also have alot of hip pain, i cant sit for too long or i kind of freeze up, but i cant stand for too long because my legs cant take it. i wake up in the morning not only feeling like i never slept but also so stiff that i swear i am 90 years old in a 40 year olds body, it takes me about 2 hours every morning just to get moving because of the stiffness. for me its the debilitating exhaustion, soreness and stiffness that really gets to me. find a doctor that has treated fibro patients, just ask around...then make an appointment and they will give you a "tender point" test, they will push on certain parts of your body to see how you react...there is no blood test, or any other type of test to diagnose with, diagnoses is usually given dependent on your symptoms , where your symptoms are, how long you have had symptoms and the tender point test...i have some really good websites i can send you links for, very informative, i will look for them and get them to you soon, also a rheumatologist should be able to diagnose you also.  just pay attention to ALL of your smptoms and write them down for your appointment. keep me posted and i will e-mail you the links...XXOO
Hi FLaddict, just a suggestion, but I'm hoping that you are saving all of these little gems you write onto Word so you can just patse them up later!  You have worked so hard to defeat you addiction in 58 days or so and I remember you before.  You have done so well and I am stating to call Suboxone, "methadone-lite," because it has it's own demons too.  I remember coming here and touting it as a magic pill.... Yes, if you like to stay just above even, high but "no" for now because the honeymood is over for me.  Yes, it still works like a champ but compared to three years ago... I am a truck, (three years ago was when I found hydrocodone, perfect drug right?)

I'M WAITING FOR YOUR NEW BOOK ON ADDICTION!
massage really helps with the drug dependency and the fibro.  give it a try, you'll see an improvement in the pain you have. also, most insurance companies will pay for massage if under a dr.'s order  
did you receive my e-mail with the links? and also read my post above about diagnoses?  i wasnt sure if you saw it or not....
did you read this post?
Yep I got them thanks.. I am reading through them now.. I appreciate it hun..
gee whiz, its the least i could do after how you have helped me!!!  i am curious how you do on the "fibro quiz"  i scored 93%, if you scrore high definatly mention it to a doc....keep me posted,,,
Yeah I got 96- 97% I think... so I am making a list of symptoms so I don't forget anything when I go to the doc next Monday..I didn't realize that some things like the ringing in my ears or the constipation could be intertwined until I read some of the info about it..
Thanks again I need people like you who know what they are talking about..
just make sure also ...write any symptom you have down, even if you think it might be wierd or irrelevent, this fibro is a strange thing and reacts to everyone differently...  and i am more than happy to answer any questions you may have...i am no expert yet, but i still read as much as i can about it... and i would say by the score you got you need to DEFINATELY mention fibro to your doc....keep me posted hun...there is also a very good book i read (my therapist lent it to me) when i see her next monday i will get the name of book for you...it also gave alot of different ways to manage and deal with fibro...do you get the "fibro fog" yet?
I had been doing a little research on this topic, not to the extent you have though.  And when I found out you can't take SSRI or tricylic antidepressants doing this, I found out I already was.  But I was taking small dosages of essential amino acids, it must not have made a difference.  Unfortunately, my psychiatrist won't treat the type of addiction I have (it's not drugs or alchohol), it's sexual.  But after finding sobriety, I have similar withdrawal symptoms.  He's the only psychiatrist on state aid for my insurance Medicare and Medicaid.  If Prozac is a no no, and he won't work with amino acids, what should I do?
You posted on a really old thread so you probably won't get a response from most of the members who take part in it. Most of the amino acids can be taken along with an ssri. You just have to cut out the ones that aren't compatible with them and continue taking the ones that are.