Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Anxiety/OCD/Alcohol

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Anxiety/OCD/Alcohol

I'm a 24 year old male, who drinks about three times per week, twice more so in a binge drinking fashion. I've been diagnosed with OCD and possibly Panic Disorder, strong phobias. I was told I'm 'not' an alcoholic, at outpatient therapy. AA itself seems a little far fetched. I can still function, but at a minimal rate, problems holding down jobs, and keeping busy without serious panic problems. I've started 50MG Zoloft, yet so I've found that my panic/anxiety cannot be managed without alcohol, and of course, I awake the next day in massive fear. I'm going out on a limb, but any ideas, suggestions, go for it. Thanks all.
I have minor OCD with some anxiety.  I take Cymbalta and a little klonipin (klonopin) for it and the combination has worked great.  I found the klonipin (klonopin) works well for anxiety.  When I first started it I had to keep upping the dosage then I stayed at the same dose for a while and then without really paying attention to what I was doing I've lowered the dose I'm taking to a low maintenance dose....and that I can always up if I feel more anxious. It's worked well for me.  Just a thought.
Thanks rocket, I've pondered bringing up the suggestion of klonapin or a low dose of alaprozam for the anxiety attacks, but it seemed my doctor was even hesitant to start me out on 50MG Zoloft, saying thats the highest dose he gives to first timers to Zoloft, which is understandable. I might give him a call in regards to somehow asking for a low dose of Klonapin, though I don't want him to take the wrong impression, because of him thinking I'd abuse it.
i have been put on seroquel for long term management of terrible anxiety, it works very well for me and doesnt have the tolerance  and withdrawal issues of benzos. having said that what works for one person may not work for the next. also do you have acsess to anyone that can teach you CBT, its a really helpful non drug tool. i wish you the best i know how tough this can be, you will get there in the end keep plugging away, louise