Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Any experience with w/d and the flu

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Any experience with w/d and the flu

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with withdrawals and the flu.  I made an appointment with my doctor to try clonidine on Monday morning but on Sunday evening I came down with the flu my son had the week before.  I took my last pill (20mg oxy 4 a day for 1 year) about the same time the flu started so I know it's not w/d.  I am now on day 2 clean and it has been the worst 2 days of my life.  I not only have 104 fever with a bad dry cough, runny nose and sore throat but I am also getting major hypertension (waking up every 30 minutes with big twitches).  Should I take the clonidine? (I filled the script)  My doctor wanted to make sure my blood pressure didn't drop too much before I started taking it, should I do that first?  Should I worry about addiction to clonidine?

Any help is appreciated.
hello. have you checked your blood pressure? what is it?
I am not sure, but someone should answer soon!! Hang in there!
No I haven't checked my blood pressure.  Does it go up during w/d?
Hopefully your doc checked your pressure before prescribing it to you.....u can go to the drugstore and check it....I would think as a rule blood pressure would go up during WDs unless u become dehydrated or something but everyone is different....call your doc and let hime know your pressure and let him decide...clonidine is not addictive
yes it can but the muscle twitching has nothing to do with it. that is separate. you need to check your blood pressure if possible. if your physician was concerned that you might go to low that tells me (a nurse) that it must run on the low side. clonidine is safe to use but will drop your pressure rapidly. it can be very helpful and should not harm you. you just need a baseline idea of how it reading so you can treat it, and your withdrawals appropriately. does that make sense?
you can purchase a reasonably priced automated bp machine at any walmart or walgreens
My doctor took my pressure when I was there Friday and I was told it was perfect.  He then asked me to come in on Monday so that he could monitor me on my first clonidine pill for percautionary reasons, not because my pressure is typically low, it is actually typically right on.  I did not go to the doctors because I wasn't going to mix w/d with the flu but ended up doing it anyway.  Now I have the pills and was wondering if I should just take them, he told me I will probably be ok, I have no history of heart or lung problems.
I contracted the flu on day 4 and I am miserable. Normally by day 3 I am fine and back to normal. With the flu however I am very run down, have a pretty significant cough and headache. If you can I would delay WD till the flu has run its course.  I am at day 10 and WD symptoms are mostly resolved with the exception of sneezing.  But I feel like **** and going to work is a SOB.
Your immune system is down going through WDs so you may catch a few extra viruses or stuff. Also WDs act a lot like the flu with the sneezing, runny nose aching etc.
Let me know if I can be of any support to you.

Chi Chi
i think you will be fine to take the clonidine. if your pressure is right on most of the time it should not be a problem. blood pressure typically raises a bit during withdrawal so it should be fine. i would check into purchasing a cuff for yourself. i would feel better advising you if i knew for sure. also be cautious mixing cold/flu medications. they can make withdrawal seem worse and elevate blood pressure. i hope this helps.
Thank you very much
you are very welcome.