Anyone have any info on Lithium?
My b/f was prescribed Lithium to help with the w/d symptoms from alcohol. I did some research on Lithium and it seems to be for bi-polar disorders mainly. I also read where it can cause shakiness and sometimes seizures. I am wondering why would he be prescribed this medication when the alcohol w/d's can cause seizures as well. He also has a script for 5ea 1mg Ativan that a different dr. prescribed for the w/d's. Neither script has been filled yet. They also gave him vicodin because he has a kidney stone. (That's where I fall into trouble as I am trying dang hard to stay off the vic's.) So I guess my question is, is anyone familiar with using Lithium?

Thanks for all the support.
The detox where I'm from uses lithium for every person coming off of alcohol.  The combo of lithium and ativan is supposed to help prevent seizures and shakes.  You probably already know this but, it may be safer for your bf to go to an inpatient detox.  Alcohol is the only drug that can kill people when detoxing GL
I detoxed from years of alcohol abuse using valium, thought I was going to die.
Do not mix them, I'm sure you know this but just in case.......Good Luck!!!
Lithium is a metal...it can be poison if bloodlevels aren't monitored VERY closely.  It is better to stick with Ativan only to prevent seizures. Ativan 2mgs a day will prevent detox seizures,  Lithium is unnecessary and too risky.  Yes, I have had a lot of experience.
are you sure its LIBRIUM? i am familiar with this drug used for alcohol wd

if your bf is dual diagnosed they maybe using it for mood control vs wd symptoms,
i have known doctors who use mood stabilizers for wd
but i can tell you from personal experience, there no help!!

i hate litium, i would refuse it if someone gave it to me, if he is not bi-polar then why take it, its a dangerous drug, you have to get blood work done on a regular basis when you are on it or you could die

again,,, are you sure its not liBrium?