Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Are Ambien Benzos?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Are Ambien Benzos?

Are they. I've read sites that say yes an sites that say no. I just finished a long drawn out taper but have tremendous sleep problems that is affecting my life worse than when I had a benzo and hydro addiction. A Dr. recommended Ambien but it is any way related to a benzo it is a no go with me.
Any suggestions on the insomnia issues would be appreciated. I can fall asleep but a couple hours later it's over. I feel like I'm losing my mind....    
Ambien is a hypnotic, but I have been addicted to it before... so I would suggest not taking it if you have a history of pill addictions.  It is a nasty pill to get hooked on.  Have you tried some extended release melatonin?  I would give that a shot.  Or goto any health food store and look for an herbal sleep aid.  That is your safest route.
I have a problem staying a sleep also, or I did.  I went to the health food store and I'm taking valerian and time released melatonin together and it seems to work.  If I wake in the middle of the night I can go back to sleep with no problem.  I use to take prescription sleep medications but they quit working and my doctor wanted to put me on valium but I didn't want to take them.  I have have fibromyalgia, arthritis (lower back, hips, shoulders and hands) and Degenerative Disc in lower back and neck.  So, sleep is very important to me cause I get up everyday at 5:00 am to go to work.  I didn't think it would work but taking both together does for me.  I know everyone is different but it doesn't to try.  I hope you get some refief.
Ambien is not a Benzo. You might want to try Benadryl for sleep. Melatonin is recommended. Hot shower / baths are good ...... breathing exercises before bed..
ambien like eagle said..is not a benzo..altho lunesta and ambien are both chemically related to benzos..neither being a good choice if u have had a benzo addiction...number one thing is ur tolerence to both of these drugs will be every high from the get go...sleep is so important...how r things going needguidance?
Things are OK. Thanks for asking. May be close to a great position with a good company. As you can see by my question having major sleep problems. Still having stress issues that carry into my sleep and it's so frustrating. Herbal stuff doesn't seem to work but neither did Ambien. I tried it once but then remembered horror stories I've heard so got rid of the rest. How are you?