Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Are withdrawls from Norco really that bad??

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I have been taking Norcos (10mg) for over 2 and a half years. I had been on workers comp for back injury from work but the drs never gave me any strong pain pills. The strongest I was given was tramedol which is not even a control substance. I was sent to physical therapy and a chiropractor. It just seemed to be making my back worst. Sometimes I can't get Norco so I will get vics (500mg), or perkocets. So I'm not constantly taking the same narcotic. But it mainly is norcos I take. Everytime I talk myself into quitting cold turkey, I find myself calling my hooks ups less then 24hrs later. How can I stop n lessen the withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms? Is there any OTC aids tht wud help? Hope someone can help.
I'm bumping this up for you so some of the veterans can help.  I too have a problem with norcos after relapsing from detoxing ct from roxys a few weeks ago. I will be starting my own thread again.....but just wanted u to know the people here are awesome and full of help and support. Just keep posting. :)
Thanks for your support NikkiB. I'm sorry to hear tht u have started using again. I hope u can stay strong n get back on track. I hope I have the power to get off them like u did. I know recovery is a life long process. And I have a extremely addictive personality. In fact so many of my family members do. Its definitly a gene passed down thru family members.
wanted to let you know i feel YOUR PAIN!  I was taking 30 plus norco 10's a day for around 10 years and i quit cold turkey throught this site and have been clean for almost 7 weeks now.  YES IT CAN BE DONE.  you need to check out the thomas reciepe on the health pages top right of your screen.  the first week i lived on the valerian root but in the end forcing myself to get up off my butt and exercise is what saved me.  i LIVED on natural endorphines and let me tell you they rock.   i'm worried about you living with another addict though because your not only going to be around the pills but almost worse the addict lifestyle of get pills get pills and knowing shes calling your dealer etc.  your best tool in your arsenal is going to be your head.  in my opinion this is all about mind over matter.  you have to really be resolved to quit in your head.  and if you are the w'ds are handleable.  so basically if your head is in the right place the w'ds will be too.  yeah its ***** but its so not the end of the world.  and if i were u id totally call your doctor and tell him/her.  the doctor can be another one of your best assets and is trained and educated and deals with us all the time.  people on this site have used clonodine for w'ds and have had really good luck with it.  keep posting and good luck to you.
Hello i work in a rehab center. Good Job to you guys who are in recovery, it is a hard decision to quit, and with the withdraws from opiates, it can range from any where from minor to severe, and it is ok to go to the doctor to get help, one of the things we use for opiate withdraw is a medication called suboxone, and we have had lots of success with it, also to help with withdraw, use some relaxation, get a sponser, find a local NA meeting, talk with those who are in recovery, they can tell you what to expect and what they did to help with them and remeber to try every thing to help with cravings, if you dont try you may never know if it helps. Good Luck!
Thanks for responding to my post everyone!! The more I read these post from others and what their going thru, the more I feel like I can do this! I haven't heard of the "thomas recipe", but I will definitly check it out. In everyones opinion, wud I be better off weening myself off, or jus stopping cold turkey?
Sickn---It's great to see you want to get your life back again. You have already recieved great advice from everyone and you should try to follow it.

As far as the Thomas Recipe it helped me greatly during my w/d so I am posting it here for you.

THOMAS RECIPE

For the Recipe, You'll need:

1. Keep a good attitude it will help you greatly

2.Immodium (over the counter, any drug or grocery store).

3. L-Tyrosine (500 mg caps) from the health food store.

4. Strong wide-spectrum mineral supplement with at least 100% RDA of Zinc, Phosphorus, Copper, Magnesium and Potassium (you may not find the potassium in the same supplement).

5. Vitamin B6 caps.

6. Access to hot baths or a Jacuzzi (or hot showers if that's all that's available).

How to use the recipe:

Start the vitamin/mineral supplement right away (or the first day you can keep it down), preferably with food. Potassium early in the detox is important to help relieve RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). Bananas are a good source of potassium if you can't find a supplement for it.

During detox, hit the hot bath or Jacuzzi as often as you need to for muscle aches. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of hot soaks. Spend the entire time, if necessary, in a hot bath. This simple method will alleviate what is for many the worst opiate WD symptom.

Use the Imodium (immodium) aggressively to stop the runs. Take as much as you need, as often as you need it. Don't take it, however, if you don't need it.

At the end of the fourth day, you should be experiencing the beginnings of the opiate WD malaise. Upon rising (empty stomach), take the L-Tyrosine. Try 2000 mgs, and scale up or down, depending on how you feel. You can take up to 4,000 mgs. Take the L-Tyrosine with B6 to help absorption. Wait about one hour before eating breakfast. The L-Tyrosine will give you a surge of physical and mental energy that will help counteract the malaise. You may continue to take it each morning for as long as it helps. If you find it gives you the "coffee jitters," consider lowering the dosage or discontinuing it altogether. Occasionally, L-Tyrosine can cause the runs. Unlike the runs from opiate WD, however, this effect of L-Tyrosine is mild and normally does not return after the first hour. Lowering the dosage may help.

Continue to take the vitamin/mineral supplement with breakfast.

As soon as you can force yourself to, get some mild exercise such as walking, cycling, swimming, etc. This will be hard at first, but will make you feel considerably better.

I wish you great success in your journey to sobriety and keep it up. I will pray for you God Bless---Rick
Hey, I think reallyneedhelp76 has said basically everything that I would tell you.  You are not alone, and you CAN DO THIS!!!  You just have to stay positive and do everything in your power to get through this.  My husband was taking 20-30 norcos a day as well.  It's possible to be FREE!  Keep your head up and when you're feeling down or need help or have a question post here :) We're here for you ....and don't forget to smile :)
Thank you for all the support. I will make sure to keep everyone posted as much as I can. :)
I'm wondering how to go about this thomas recipe detox and still be able to go to work. I work monday thru friday and have saturdays n sundays off from work. The pain n worst part of the withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms is the first 7 days right? Then its all mental? Or does the psyhical pain last longer? I'm tryin to figure a way to go thru the worst symptoms late friday-sunday, and hopefully be able to get to work on monday. I work an office job so I can take it pretty easy at work. Any suggestions on what day of the week I shud start so tht my worst symptoms wud be late friday and last thru the weekend? I was thinking if I took my last dose on tuesday night, then started the thomas recipe wednesday morning tht I shud be ok to get thru work friday? Am I gonna be in for a rude awakening or does this seem reasonable what I'm thinking?
You can start taking the supplements now.  I would maybe think about having your last dose either late Wednesday or Thursday.  Wd's start fairly soon.  Usually the 2-3 days are the worst but that isnt written in stone.  The best thing to do is stay positive and roll with it.  You can do this!!          sara
if you stop tues that tonite your withdrawals can start anywhere within the next 24 to 48 hrs.you should probably stop on wed. nite. then the worst will hit over the weekend. everyone is different how long the symptoms last, length of use, age, other health factors,what you were using. there is no pat answer just dont let fear get the best of you.
you will be fine and you will get through this.be strong.
debbie
Thank you! I plan on giving a day by day of how I'm feeling on here once I start the detox. I will keep everyone posted. :)
Think how great it will be to get back you!!  Stay close to the forum as we are here to support you~~~~~sara
Today is my 4th day with the withdrawal symptoms. I took my last pill Sunday morning and I was alright alday Sunday but when Monday came I really started to feel the aches in my legs around mid morning and they just got even worse as the day went on! So I read about the Thomas receipt and rush to get all that was said to get!! Today I have very lil ache and pains and when I do I go take a hot hot bath and that helps me more than anything was those hot hot bathes! I would say take your last pill on Thursday morning make it through work Friday and just ride it out over the weekend and you will be able to b back to work Monday!!! good luck my man I'm doing it for my 4yr old daughter and 18 month old son! Just keep your mind focused no matter what just stay focused on quiting!!!
I'm so excited to just finally do this detox! I was at first going to wait till next week, but I dont want to anymore. I want to stop tomorrow! Even though I have pills, im just sick of it! I feel so much better talking to all of you. I think this is what is making me so anxious and excited to get clean. Thank you all!
I'm taking my last dose today around 10-11am. So tomorrow will be day 1. So I want to take the mineral supplement right away from how I understood the directions. I'm jus a little confused on the mineral supplement. Will I be looking for a multi vitiamin when I purchase the mineral supplement? I jus don't want to get a multi vitamin tht has 100% of all the things I need, but also has other vitamins in it if tht I shudnt be taking. Anyone know a brand I shud be looking for? I think I can purchase everything I need at walgreens or cvs
I think that if all possible you should try to get the items for the Thomas Recipe today. For many people when the withdrawals start, running simple errands can seem like the hardest things in the world to do. If you can take steps today to make tomorrow easier you should do it. Good luck...and you CAN do this.
Hi- Get any multi vit with minerals and take additional calcium and magnesium. Start forcing fluids!  It's really important. Dehydration is the major cause of most withdrawal symptoms. Eat healthy food and don't let yourself get hungry!  

The thomas recipe is great but you'd be fine with less. Keep posting about how you're feeling...
Money is tight until tomorrow. I took my last pills at 1pm today. I have 6 more vics, but I'm going to jus have those to keep me on track (seems like whn I have pills I don't feel as anxious so I thought jus keepin a feew around wud make me feel at ease. I won't take them! Promise!!) I got some somas to help me w sleep and am going to get a few ambien (sp?). I've gone 2 days witout pills in the past so I know how I am going to feel n I think I can cope w not get the stuff for the thomas recipe until tomorrow on my lunch. I will post a day to day and let everyone know how I'm feeling n what I've been taking. I've never tried to quit in the past cuz I knew I needed to really want to. N finally the time has come! I want to more then anything! @Vicki-so I need to get a multi mineral vitamin and a bottle of calcium n magnesium? Or I jus need to make sure the mineral supplement has tht?
From the what I understand from the thomas recipe, I'm not suppose to start taking the L-tyrosine n b6 till after day 4? Or can I take it before day 4?
HI  one of the first things youy need to do is GET RID OF ALL PILLS in the house  trust me when your on day 2 or 3 in acuter withdrawals you will use them as addicts we can justifie\ anything and it will go something like this ....well I ant slept in 2 days and I need one just to eaz the withdrawals I have seen it 1000 times GET RID OF THE PILLS FIRST no safety nets
you just got to jump in and gert r done ....attitude is everything go into this with a positive attitude keep in mind this is 1/3 physical and 2/3 mental this is a battle one or lost in ones own mind YOU CAN DO THIS but take the advise you get here I do this 6 days a week I know what works and dont....get comfortable with the saying you just got to be ok without being ok for a wile it will pass with time we will talk about aftercare once your detoxed but detoxing is just the beginning it takes work to stay clean keep reading the post and post often we all want to help and see you get set free good luck and God bless......Gnarly
It's true. Flush the pills. Get mad at them.
Ok I'll get rid of the pills. Today is Day 1 everyone! I've had no pill since lunchtime yesterday. Honestly I feel so much different about quitting this time. I really want to and I don't feel like I'm gonna have a panic attack over not taking pills. I know I'm gonna have a long weekend, but thts where I'm at right now! Question, from the directions on the thomas recipe am I jus suppose to take the mineral supplement starting now n then start taking the L-Tyrosine n B6 starting day 4? Or can I take the L-Tyrosine starting today?
Can you really go wrong with taking vitamins:)  
So then i should take the mineral supplement, L-Tyrosine and B6 all starting today? jus want to make sure.. Im feeling fine right now.. I can kinda feel like im getting the rumbles in my stomach but for right now i can deal with tht! Im drinking a big monster energey drink right now.. I hardly ever drink water, but I plan on starting to drink a lot of water and gatorade, at least for the next few days.
Still on day 1! I'm starting to get the runs, but other then tht I'm fine. I haven't gone to get the stuff for the thomas recipe yet. Ill be going after work. I've been prayin for the withdrawl (withdrawal) to bring me as lil pain as possible. So far so good. We shall see in the coming days though.
did you get the immodium? if yes take it. also eat bananas. you will be ok. keep thinking positively. did you flush ALL the pills?
I HATE bananas. I'm gonna have to figure out something else. N I'll be getting the immodium n everything else when I get off work. I haven't flushd the pills yet cuz they r at home. I will.
If you're looking for other foods high in potassium, the following is a link to the fruits, veggies, juices, etc., highest in potassium.  Good luck!!

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food/potassium-foods.htm

Here is a partial list:

Apricots
Avocados
Dates
Figs
Kiwi
Melon
Oranges
Raisins
Watermelon

Carrot juice
Orange juice
Fruit juice
Tomato juice

Almonds
Brazil nuts
Peanuts

.

.

Day 1 (cont.)- After work i got everything I needed for the Thomas Recipe. I had a really hard time finding the L-Tyrocine, but I found it at GNC I also cudnt find potassium at the drugstore so I got tht at GNC as well. I cudnt find a mineral supplement w 100% phoperaus so I jus took double the dose of the mineral supplement (2 pills) and some of the potasium n magnisium. I have taken the L-Tyorine or B6 yet. I took immodium n haven't had an upset stomach since. Not sure if I shud start taking the L-tyrosine n B6 or wait till after day 4? I'm feeling fine for the most part. At least right now.  
It's up to you really, if you start to feel like it would help you, take it.  I don't think that if you start taking it now it's going to hurt you in any way.  It can only help, and by the time that you "need it" it will already be in your system, so that might be a plus.  Glad that you're doing well so far :)  Keep your head up and smile ;) You're gonna make it :)
End of Day 1 is coming to a close. I feel normal/fine. Tomorrow will be a nice big slap in the face I'm sure!! I will keep u all posted!!
HEY Dude was just thinking about you glad your first day wasnt to bad....dont read anything into this some people get by with very minor withdrawals others go threw he11 but most wind up some where in between .....try not to let fear into it it is always worst in our minds then it turns out to be......tonight you will probably be restless and not sleep it will be the beginning of the acute withdrawals if it 3 am and your up shaking reading this just let it encourage you to push on this will be on of the best decisions of your life when its done and over you will no longer be chained to a pill bottle so hang in there things in life will start to fall into place good luck and God bless.......Gnarly  
Thanks for the supportive words!!

Day 2:  I slept thru the night. Its late morning right now. I have been taking the vitamins. No bad symptoms, yet...
Hope that you are still doing well!!! :)
I sent you a private message.
Ugh! I posted last night before I went to sleep and it didn't post on here! Well anyways, I was starting to get antsy and anxious around 1pm yesterday so I took a hot bath n shower. It did help. Other then tht and the runs I've been fine.  I didn't realize it wud be this easy so far. Yeah, I am lazy and sluggish, but I'm not hugging a toilet or shaking out of my mind. I do have Xanex, a few soma to get me thru the first few days, n maybe thts what's making it easier, or maybe its the vitamins.

Day 3: Still haven't taken any pills!! I just ate a few crackers so I can get my vitamins down.  Its only 730am, I'm sure things cud change thru out the day.Well I hope things stay like this, n don't get real bad. I jus keep telling myself tht eventually I have to quit and why screw up the 2 days I've been sober (now 3 days) and have to start all over again? I'm doing this for real!! N I hope by tomorrow I'm even stronger!
Good job!! listen be careful with the xanax because last thing you want to do is swap addictions.  but hey  i think that withdraws are 10% physical 90% in your head.  sounds like your head is in the right place and that's really important.  I was always waiting for the white elephant in the room to rear its ugly head too. but hey if your feeling ok TAKE IT!!   And eating is a really good thing, have no idea if this is true but i think that keeping your body fueled helps you process the drugs out quicker.  for me day three was the beginning of the end of the physical withdraws so you should feel better tomm. just remember the hardest part is mental so keep your positive attitude!  also, START excercising!  i took super long walks for the first two weeks, i promise this will make life SO much easier for you.  

Just think about how much better off you r now that your mind is clearing.  around day 4-5 i entered what i refer to as the purple hazy period, my emotions started to come back and i LOVED everything! lol.  felt real true happiness and laughed for real for the first time in years! also go ticked off and that felt great too! lol
I took a walk first thing this morning. I was kinda sluggish, but still did it. I didn't walk very long maybe 20-30min, but hey it was something. I've also eaten a full breakfast and for the most part feel fine. I have a very addictive personality so I know I'm gonna need something else to take up my time. Hopefully I can stick w walking or something.
Also, I don't want to be dishonest on this page. I have been using liquor a bit as well. I drank 4 shots friday night to help w sleep and I drank 3 shots right now jus to hopefully stop the trigger of any anxious feelings I might being to feel today. I know now thts I'm older tht I can't drink the way I use to, nor do I enjoy get **** faced the way I use too. So I'm basically jus using the alcohol to help get thru this withdrawl (withdrawal) period. Its almost the middle of day 3!!! The second I second guess myself n start tryin to talk myself into takin them, they will be flushd. Until then, I feel at ease knowing I'm strong enough to want to get clean n not have to rely on them to live a "normal" life. I want soberity from pills! N so far, its happening! Thank you all for ur support. I'm thinking of attending NA meetings in a week or so.
Day: 4- sleep thru the night. Woke up for the most park fine. Ate a couple cracker, took my vitamins, then at a larger breakfast after tht. So far so good! I had one bad spell yesterday (day 3)after I had a couple shots of jagar then about an hour later took l-tyrosine. I jus felt like I was gonna be sick. But it past. I'm not gonna use liquor anymore. I feel fine still. I have been drinking lots of gatorade. Maybe thts helping. Not sure, but I sure am happy I'm getting over the worst of the withdrawls.
here is the link to find na meetings

http://portaltools.na.org/portaltools/MeetingLoc/

Day 4 (cont)- still feel fine. These vitamins n immodiom from the thomas recipe must really work. Thank you all for ur help n support. I'm realizing from here on its gonna be a mental thing. I'm done w pills for good! I will continue posting
I do think 90% of how "bad" it will be is related to how "bad" you plan on it being
I found that attitude is ultra important...but not as important as a plan that includes aftercare
Mpost do not include aftercare/support...nor do they make a plan
Good to make a back up plan too....and educate yourself as u r doing on what to expect and be ready for what may come your way
The health pages r full of great info...and the thomas recipe is great

keep posting
Day 5- Its just after lunch at work! Im feeling fine! Better then fine! Withdrawls were so minor I guess I just expected them to be hell. I know I will have times where i may feel anxious for something in the future..but for now, im happy and pill free! i'll let you know how im feeling later..take care all....
Day 6- Im still taking all the vitamins from the thomas recipe. Not sure when I should stop taking them. Im feeling fine. I dont let myself think about pills, and honestly I dont care about them anymore. I guess I was just scared to get sick from withdrawls and thats whats took me so long to stop. Im hoping the "worst" is over.
Day 7 (1 week sober at noon today!): Im feeling pretty good! I still have the normal aches and pains to start my day but I feel great not needing to depend on pills anymore!
Congratulations on 1 week clean! Good job and keep it up!
Day 8: I feel like I'm having trouble remembering things tht happen earlier in the day or the prior day. Idk if tht makes sense. I jus feel in a haze when I look back on the day lately n it was hard to sleep last night. Other thn tht I'm still doing fine n still no pain pills!
YAY!!  Things will get clear again, just keep going you're doing great!!! :)
Day 11- Still doing ok. I've just been having trouble sleeping for the past 4 days.. Hopefully, that will end soon.
CONGRATULATIONS!! I've been following your thread, and I'm so happy for you!! Keep up the great work!
HI THE Sleep thing is kinda cyclic coming off this stuff for most you will eventually settle in to a normal sleep pattern once again but it can take a few weeks to a month for me it was 2 mo and since I quite my habit I have been unable to sleep more then 6 hr a night 4 to 6 is normal for me now ...I have found a new tea that really helps releave stress and with sleep its ...''yogi''......kava stress relief tea .....it works better then the sleepytime tea I was using
you might want to give it a shot theres like 6 different  ingredients in it not just camomile
I wish you luck congrats on 11 days your doing great .....God bless...... Gnarly  
Day 16- still no pills. I've noticed I don't sleep longer than 6 hours a night though. Oh well, I'd rather sleep irregular, then be on pills!
Day 21- still pill free! 3 weeks today! Fools good! And I'm even sleeping better! :)
just read your thread here...nice work buddy...keep up the good fight and be proud...
Day 27-Still doing well. It will be a month clean from pills tomorrow!
Day 30-Well, I'm almost done w my first full calendar month clean!! Tomorrow is the last day of the month! Lol. I'm feeling fine without pills. I do sleep irregular, but I think that has to do more w the daily stresses I have in my life right now. I have no desire to do pills and I couldn't be happier, then to be free of the pill bottle! I hope anyone reading this will get inspiration to reach inside urself and let the pill bottle go. It can be done! I'm living proof! I know I have a long way to go but a month is a good start! ;)