Aspirin Addiction?
I have a friend who takes 4-6 aspirin a day.  The reasons he gives include headache, energy boost, muscle pain...and sometimes no really good reason.  Is this an addiction?  What are the possible short and long term effects? Suggestions for change?
I take a lot of aspirin for it's antiimflammatory (sp?) properties.  Can't take ibuprofen.  Have done so for years.  And also have stopped with absolutely no problems, except the inflamation comes back. If his stomach can tolerate it, it's probably okay.
Hi aracadiarose-never have known aspirin to be mood altering myself so it would be hard to think of aspirin as an addictive drug. There are some side effects I know of regarding high use of ASA, one is decreased coagulation, which is it acts as a blood thinner. This is why it is recommended that people without contraindications to it such as bleeding disorders take it if they have a family history of heart disease. It can be preventative health for things like heart attack or stroke, but usually a small dose, like one baby aspirin is recommended for that. If your friend sustains an injury such as a cut, the time to stop the bleeding may be a bit longer and more difficult than someone not on aspirin. Also, in high doses it can irritate your stomach also causing bleeding there. But as far as addiction goes... I guess any drug you come to depend on psychologically to do something for you can be considered an addiction or dependence. Hope your friend's doctor is aware of his/her ASA use, you may suggest that they discuss it with their physician.
Take care, IR.
Good point, IR. Very important. Completely forgot about the anticoagulation and I do bleed like a stuck pig if I get cut. I personally don't have any stomach problems with it but lots of folks do.
I am addicted to Goody's.  I love the taste of them and they make me feel better after taking them.  I have taken them everyday since last September 3-4 times a day.  How would I know if I had stomach bleeding?  How can I stop when I have already tried and did not suceed????