Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Ativan for sleep

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Ativan for sleep

I have been taking 1 mg of Ativan to sleep for a few years now.....Though not a large dose, I am dependent for sleep on this medication.  Can I just keep taking it or what is the advice?
Ativan is not meant to be taken for insomnia or for a long period of time. My advice would be to speak with your doctor about tapering off of it. It cannot be stopped cold turkey so be careful.
the 2 drugs that cannot be stopped abruptly w/out the risk of seizures are alcohol & benzodiazapeines ,  ativan (brand name for lorazapam) is a benzo, so please talk to your doctor before stopping.

just for some info cuz i know a bit about benzos as i am prescribed xanax (brand name for alprazolam)& hav taken every kind, alcohol and benzos work on the same receptor GABA and can be used  inplace of each other incase of emergency , but Not together.

personaly i never hardly take my xanax even though i am prescribed it daily, because i do not want to be physically addicted to benzo, and i am a drinker.
i guess i should clarify about alcohol, what i meant above is if a person is physically addicted to alcohol they should medically detox, and i have lived with enough late stage alcoholics to have seen this a number of times, if stopped abruptly they run the risk of seizure , the same with benzos, usually librium a low potency benzo is given the first dry days.......