Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Ativan or Methadone

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Ativan or Methadone

I have been taking Ativan for a chronic pain condition and it works very well except of course it is necessary to continually increase the dosage.  I am now at 4.5mgs/day.  I was thinking of trying methadone for pain but I was wondering if that is just going from bad to worse
Any thoughts?.  
They are two different classes of drug. The ativan is more of a tranq while the meth is strictly pain or abstinence oriented. Is your pain associated with muscle area or something?
Avatar n tn
i have been diagnosed with chronic non-bacterial prostatitis (which IS stress/muscle tension-related) AND, most recently, with pudendal neuralgia--damage to the pudendal nerve.  
I would really research this if you are going to consider it .Methadone has its own set of problems of course so do benzos .I am sure you know when or if you decide to go off the atvian taping has to be very slow.
Avisg is dead center here...the methadone is a poor choice for you I would think...Doc my want to try nuerontin for that nerve first ...many other muscle relaxers that dont have the baggage that methadone does. Wait as long as you possibly can before you resort to that.....Good luck to you..
Avatar n tn
I took 1/8 of the docs recommended initial dosage of methadone and decided it was just too intense for me.  I've tried neurontin and all the other non-narcotic meds for neurogenic pain but they only make things worse.  At this point the only meds that help are ativan and, if things are really bad, vicodin, which I use very infrequently because I understand it can be as addictive as methadone.  No one really seems to know what's going on but, rest assured, the answer won't be methadone.