Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
BENADRYL ADDICTION!!

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

BENADRYL ADDICTION!!

Im gonna make it short: im definitely psychologically addidcted to diphenhydramine .
For the  last 4 years I`ve popped an average of 25-30 and more 50 mg of diphenhydramine on a daily basis.
Since it is unbelievably hard to find infos about this rare addiction, this site is my last resort.
Addicted yourself? Let me know! It would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
have seen this here once...only once a while back....mentally this can be a problem but it says it is not a physical wd associted with it..but everyone is different....do u use them for sleep and/or anxiety?

anti-histamines actually "dry" us out....so constipation and dehydration etc can be an issue with this heavy use...is it possible for u to taper off of them?
I know that they make a kind of drug out of cough syrup and I smoked alot of it. i was totally addicted to it!!. What a terrible thing to be. paranoid thinking people were turning into other people right before my eyes. Bright lights hurt my eyes, I though people were following me. You have any of those symptoms??Get out NOW you brain gets totally fried on that S***. U got a drug program around where u live?? Somebody?? Drug and Alcohol councellor? Pray for the obsession to be removed from you. It worked for me.
tapering sounds like a good idea to me. don't know much about it though, benadryl did something terrible to me when I took it. couldn't sleep, but couldn't function either. :P I wish you the best..do you take that many to sleep? maybe you could try replacing some of it with melatonin or valerian root?
It contains DMX  GOOGLE it and see what you find.
WOW, I had NO idea.. no wonder benadryl made me feel super weird when I took 3 to try and sleep. :P thats awful...
That s why when you go to a walk in clinic they won't give you certain kinds of cough syrup. Here in Canada anyways.
They do sell straight benadryl/25 mg here over the counter with no dxm in it..an antihistamine for allergies and also used for sleep/we give it often in the hospital for sleep..it has the opposite effect on me so i would dare take it for sleep as i would buzz around all night...is this the reason u take it?  or for sleep?

it is in nyquil and i learned the hard way to look for the D word in the ingredient list....it is also mixed in cough syrups with dxm..alone and in other combos...for most it is a sleepy time drug
Fortunately, there is almost no physical withdrawal symptoms associated with this s**it, BUT,  the mental addiction is extreme. I feel EXTREMELY depressed and tired when I try to stop. I don`t take this as a sleep aid, I take it  because Im addicted to its mentaleffects. But I really hate this. Thats weird, but true.
unisom, you're not alone. I am also psychologically addicted to benadryl. It gives me a light dreamy feeling and puts me in a state of euphoria with around 12-16 tablets. I go to Narcotics Anonymous for help. I would encourage you to do the same thing. I am still not clean but am working on it.  I want to stop but I can't.  I heard recently that there is a high school in texas where kids are using benadryl to get high.  They have to search the students' backpacks daily to make sure no one is bringing it into the school and abusing it.  So if it makes you feel better that you are not alone then that's good.  It's more common than you think.
I have finally come to accept that my wife of 2 years is addicted to diphenhydramine in the form of sleep-aids.  She pops 10, 25mg pills, at a time or more in the span of one day.  It makes her very paranoid and moody and it's starting to affect her ability to get to work on time.  I'm  starting to get that feeling of powerlessness and hopelessness though this is only the beginning of our effort to overcome this this.

harke