Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Beginning Suboxone

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Beginning Suboxone

I'm currently decreasing on Methadone (on about 5-10 mg/day).  I just got a prescription filled for Suboxone and am wondering how much I have to be in withdrawals to begin taking Suboxone.  I've read that if you are taking under 30mgs of Methandone, you can start Suboxone immediately but have also read that you must be in full withdrawals to begin.  If I start the Suboxone now, what will happen?  Will I be in worse withdrawals than if I just wait and take in a couple of days?  I'm wondering which w/d's will be worse (Methadone or starting Suboxone).  Any info will be appreciated.
Tags: Addiction
I just registered just now because I wanted to give you a quick response before I go to bed.  Hopefully it will help.  I have been clean and sober for almost 9 mos and on Suboxone for the whole time.  It is a great tool for recovery.  BUT you are right to be very careful.  I was on 300-350 mg Methadone a day for several years.  Suboxone attaches to the same receptors that the drugs do, immediately "kicking out" the drug itself.  Thus, it send the body into immediate and acute withdrawel.

That is why it is important not to have much if any of the drug still in your system.  The problem is that it takes so long for MEthadone to completely leave the system but much less time to feel like ****.  Therefore it is important to use the Suboxone as soon as possible BUT not too soon.

The last time I used was almost 9 mos ago.  I had used Methadone two days earlier and in order to prove to someone I was clean (which I was no) I took a 2 mg Suboxone.  My regular dose is *mg 3x a day so it was just a little of that.  A half hour later I was in the worst WD of my life, and I have been through MANY.  I was in major acute withdrawel...imagine a full 7 day WD period all in one day all at once.  I thought I was going to die and almost called 911 a few times...thank God my mom was with me...I am 34 and a professional and I was like a 2 year old baby for 10-14 hours.

Ill go into more detail tomorrow if you want.  The bottom line is that PLEASE make sure you have gone as long as possible with no drugs before taking the Suboxone.  It is a miracle drug, but if you take it too soon you will regret it.  Push yourself until you have to take it or relapse.  By that point you should be okay.

Let me know how it is going.  Good luck!
is this suboxone not for someone trying to wd from vicodin, even 40 mg a day seems daunting to get off. I was ready to try suboxone what do you think, you have actual experience not web site promo.
I started usinng drugs because of knee surgury following an injury playing football in college.  I was prescribed Percocet.  Ten years later I was doing heroin and Methadone, Oxy Contin, Percs, Vics, etc...They are ALL opiates...their underlying chemistry is very similar...in fact except for its terrible public reputation there is very little difference between legally prescribed vicodin and Percocet and street level heroin.  

Suboxen works for all opiates.  Vics included.  With Methadone, however, you have to be extra careful because the "half-life" of Methadone is so long it stays in your system far after you stop feeling its effects.  So if you take SUboxen when there is still enough Methadone in your system, you could be in for a very sudden and rough withdrawel.  See my post above.

But for vics, they leave your system much quicker and so you can start the suboxen much sooner, probably when you start to feel bad.  Please keep in mind that I AM NOT a doctor, just aguy with alot of personal experience.  

Bottom line: Suboxen works for Vic WD. Do a Google search for docs in your area for those who prescribe Suboxone and go see one.  You should check with your doc before doing anything.  One thing I learned the hard way is that addiction doctors have heard EVERYTHING.  Don't lie to them or keep something hidden, they need to know the whole story so they can help you.  They will be able to tell you when to start the Suboxone and how much so it works best and doesnt cause any bad effects.

Good Luck!
Somehow missed this post from you and I responded to the one under this one, i think. Same subject and thanks for all your info. I need to make this call. I have already downloaded and printed the docs. near me. Actually there is one about 10 houses away from me and I know him personally, don't know if I want to go that route, but there are many in my area. Wish my shrink could prescribe it, he pretty much has known me for 10+ years, he has me on zanax and ambien and adderall (adderrall). I have adhd, and anxiety, and just been on ambien forever. I will be honest with the docs. Most important thing now is getting OFF THIS! thanks again
You have given me some good info to think about.  I am trying to taper off but I am concerned about relapse as well as having enough to taper down slow enough not to have bad WD and not be able to work and loose my job.

I am concerned about the suboxone because I am concerned and I will just get addicted to it and then trying to get it.  Does it have an addictive high and will it start me craving it, etc.

I am currently taking Hydrocodone.

Thanks Gregory.
i am on day 2 of sub, it is great, sure did get rid of the "chills" and abd pain,etc. actually i really enjoyed being outdoors yesterday and enjoyed being alive. as i have been a re-cluse for almost 3 months, trying 2 w/d c/t. was @ the BOTTOM for sure. was wondering if you are taking it as well and if so how long? any side effects? i have noted increase in  anxiety which i do take klonipine .25 t.i.d for this and the psy. said that was fine, but i still am unable 2 SLEEP more than 3-4 hrs a night. but i have been on hydro and all other type narcs for many many yrs. so i know this will be not an over-nite "thing" but i sure as HECK going to do all in my power to start a life of not being dependant of narcs and wondering where/whom i can obtain some, that was HELL. out of control i had gotten and something just told me i was going to get in serious trouble if i not seek HELP!!!! on the verge of loosing all that i have worked hard for!!! sorry to ramble on here, but venting is good, tks to you and anyone else who has exp with suboxone, i would love to hear about it.plz. great weather here in alabama, 76 2-day. going fishing with my b/f.and  looking fwd to it, yeah.and not hiding WATSON (hydro 10) , lol in the tackle box!!! GOD BLESS all of us. for hydro/addiction is HELL.
ok, if anyone could give me any answers or advice i would really appreciate it. one of my family members recently started taking suboxones last thursday, a week from today. the last time they did a drug (which i'm pretty sure was an oxy) was last tuesday. how long does it usually take before the person should be looking normal after taking the suboxone? because it has now been a week and i'm trying really hard to give the medicine time.... but so far i think the person still looks how they did on drugs- eyes and voice are funny and still skinny. i'm trying not to be super paranoid and i don't want to discourage this person because i really want them to do good, but i can't understand why he still looks funny. i have also been monitoring his prescription and it looks like he takes it how he's supposed to. i'm really having a tough time here so if anyone could let me know if this is normal and he'll look completely normal soon that would be great!! also, if i was to give a drug test, would suboxone come up in the opiate part? because i was reading that it is considered a partial opiate so i'm wondering if a drug test would almost be a waste... thank you for taking the time to read this! please give me some advice! thanks so much
Hi.  Back again after stopping Sub after two weeks on my own and having the worst relapse ever.  I hate the doctor that I got the Suboxone from, so I tried to do it on my own.  Really bad idea.  I called the doctors office, and let them know what happened, and I have to see him today at 4:00.  Fear based about seeing him, but much more fearful about using.  
You posted on a post from last year.. If you could re post your question in a new post by going to Post a New question that would be helpful and allow other current members to see this..
Several of us took Suboxone.. it is a opiate so some of us experienced drug like qualities with it.. It is a opiate.. that has a blocker to prevent you from getting high if you take more.. its called a ceiling effect. Do some more research on Sub..
I have been on suboxone on and off for almost two years. I have seen two different doctors, the first one was a complete religious fanatic, but she did help me right away after coming off of about 15, 10 dollar bags of iv herion a day. My current doctor practices internal medicine and is from Pakistan. The suboxone works if you are willing to cut out all use of other opiates. I have had horrible withdrawels much like the ones described above. The worst withdrawels of my life occcuring from taking suboxone too soon and the naloxone acting as an opiate antagonist and ripping the opiates right out of their receptors. I am currently trying to work my way back onto suboxone after having a stupid summer fling with heroin. I have found it easiest to stock up on xanax, valium, and methodone and cut back until you can get to 20 mg of methadone a day. Anyone who has never taken suboxone before please be careful because the pain of the induced withdrawels as I mentioned before is excruciating and does feel as near to death as I can imagine. I say this as a mother of two and having expeienced completely natural childbirth.  Good luck to all those choosing to move away from their addiction. One more thing though, suboxone is just as hard to get off as all the others and don't beleive anyone who tells you otherwise. The only thing that makes it better is that it can be aquired legally and you don't have to worry about being sick from lack of medicine.
I have a question. Why do so many people think that methadone is not an opiate?
question,if you are weaning yourself off oxiecontin,when do you start suboxone
you can start the suboxone 12-24 hours after your last doxe of oxy...just make sure you are in mild to moderate withdrawals before the sub...also this is an old thread, you would get more responses if you reposted a new thread...
My son has been on suboxon for a year now and cannot seem to get off of it.  He will get down to a quater of a pill a day but cannot get off completely.  I told him he needs to cowboy up and try harder it must be mental.  He want to get off of it but the dr. told him that some people stay on it for a year and some stay on it forever.  Does anyone know if this suboxin is addictive?  Seem this treatment is rather new and I wonder how much research has been done on suboxine.  He told me he cannot get off of it and to try to find out why.  Can anyone help us?

YES ITS ADDICTIVE... sorry for yelling but docs really make me mad... telling someone to stay on this s hi t... docs that prescribe this only took an 8 hr class on it... they know NOTHING.. I am assuming he is down to a quarter of an 8mg which is two mgs.. Tell him to ask his doctor for clonidine that will help with the trasition off of it.. I did TONS of research on sub.. I used it for what it was intended to be used for short term detox.. 10 days on it total and I will have 12 weeks clean on friday. I would suggest taking a razor or pill cutter and have him slice tiny slivers off of it. When you have been on it for as long as he has the last 2mgs are the toughest.
Thanks for the info we really do appreciate it.  I will ask about the clonidine.  I can't believe it was suppose to be short term. I will also tell him about the razor or pill cutter.  I am not sure the mg he is taking but will find out.  thanks again
Find out and get back to me... i will help you figure this out..
I read what u wrote about taking Sub for a short time and trying the Clondine. Do u recommend Sub at all for the help with the withdrawls or should i just try the Clonidine only?

thanks for the help
Telling someone on an addiction forum how long to wait after taking Sub to get high is a really stupid thing to do here.. people here are getting off drugs not back on them.
Your post sounds all to familiar.. the Sub 'honeymoon" phase.. you might wanna do some research since most of the people who chased the ''normal'' feeling got stuck on Sub for years and couldn't withdrawl (withdrawal) from it. I see it here everyweek.. some poor person who didn't do their research fighting to get off of Sub.
And to correct something else not everyone's PCP can prescribe Sub they must be a certified doctor.
i've been on suboxone since april .. i wz taking the 8mg 3x's a day and just this month have gone down to 2 1/2 x's a day ... i'll tell you one thing, it is the best thing i could of ever done for myself and my family.  i started taking vics after before and after back surgery back in 98.  no prob gettin off them then, year later pain is back but worse this time ... back on the vics and immediately had to have another surgery on my back.  so, basically i've been taking them for almost 10 yrs.  i wz up to about 15 a day.  when i couldn't get them from my pcp i would go to other dr's to get them .. then the vics just didn't do it anymore, started on the oxy's - taking 2-3 80msa a day ... which by no means is cheap! i have 3 children, 17, 4, 3 ... and i could not get thru a day w/out  them to function.  i wouldn't go anywhere, couldn't be sociable unless i had "my pills". finally i just couldn't take it anymore, the ups the downs & trying to find pills to get me thru the day.  took way too much wasted time and energy when i should of putting that time and energy w/my kids and family.  I'm soo glad i decided to try the suboxone, it wz a life saver ... saved my marriage ... i didn't want my kids growing up not knowing the real me and the suboxone allows me to be just that .. real ... i've recommended the treatment to 2 of my friends and they are soo thankful that i wz able to refer them to my doctor, who by the way IS WONDERFUL! ... eventually i will be taken down to 1 a day.  my dr. did say that i may need to be on 1 a day for the rest of my life if i choose to be.  do i want to depend on them?  not sure yet ... i'll cross that bridge when i get to it ... anyone is contemplating on getting off OPIATES, suboxone is the way to go .. much better than methadone ... you will feel an immediate difference in the way you feel, your outlook, everything ...
My son  is down to 2mg a day but just called freaking out because he is alomost out of the Subox and is so scared of running out.  I think he will try to get to his dr. in the morning and I told him to ask him about Clonidine.  I will try to go with him to get some answers.  Why is this med so expensive?  I think it cost 350.00 just for the dr to write the script that is not the actual medicine cost.  It make me feel like this is some kind of rip off.  When he calls for refill they charge 175 just to write the script that is not seeing the dr or a visit just a call in refill then you still have to pay for the medication.  Something is not right??????????????
thats alot of money....which you already know ... my 1st vist wz $275 and that wz for the first 3 visits whether you have insurance or not ... i see him every month for treatment and it's $60 each time.  i'm lucky to have rx insurance since it only costs me 10.00 ... it is very expensive if you don't ... you're right though, it does sound like a rip off ... have you checked w/other doctors in your area who can prescribe them to see what their cost is for treatment?  i don't know if it's different in each state or what.  we're in michigan ... so ... i would definately ck w/other physicians ... hope this helps ...
THIS IS A GREAT THREAD!

Thanx to people like Gregory and FLA.

Suboxone/Subutex is very addictive and be careful.  For 40mgs of vicodin I would run from it and get off the vics the good old fashion way and reduce your intake and run from all pills.... remember that clonidine is great for reducing WD's from opiates.

For Cakegirl, I would just go RX some clonidine, (2 or 3, 7 day patches), and get the heck off.... and stay with naproxen for pain.
best
fish
Out of all the comments posted hear, yours is the most inspiring to me. I have actually set a date w/ the Dr. for my 1st visit to be administered the suboxin, and I am terrified. Most of the comments here sound like they have had very negative experiences. I am only 28 yrs old and have been taking 10-15 vicodin or percocet, (or both) for about 3 yrs. I finally realized that I can no longer handle the anxiety of running out of pills. Im terrified about losing my job once I start the program. I have a very good job that I love very much. I have an apt. to uphold and none of my friends or family know about my addiction. (except my boyfriend) who is also addicted and we are planning on quitting together. Im really scared about going into w/d. I have done it before not by choice, and I thought I might kill myself from the physical and emotional agony of it. I havent met my Dr. yet but the nurse said depending on how the suboxen affects me, I may be able to go back to work the next day or two feeling ok.
Is this true? I am fairly new to my job and dont have any vaca time yet, so this is nerve wracking to me. I  use the pills to get thru my day at work also. The Dr. that I am going to administers the med, and makes you stay for a few hrs. to see how you do on it, he adjusts the medication accordingly to how you feel. This makes me feel safer, because I know some places give you the med and send you home to withdraw.
The nurse said I should be fine for my 1st dose if i dont take a pill within 10-12 hours which is fine, because my appt. is on a Mon. so I can stay in bed all day Sun.
I know Im babling but I have no one to talk to about this, and Im horrified.
If anyone has any suggestions ar answers to any of my MANY questions, please let me know. Im so afraid of chickening out and not going to this appt. so I REALLY need some support.
Please help!
Welcome,  yes you will be able to go back to work within a day or so... just make sure you know how it affects you first.. On day one it made me pretty dizzy so i would be careful..

You are right there are alot of negative posts here... its such a new med and many doctors are not using it properly.. docs who are certified only took an 8 hr couse about it.. they are still working out the kinks.. I had a great experience with it.. I took it for 10 days. and i have been off of pills now for over 3 months.. I would seek out posts from people who have used it and are now off of it.. and find out what they did.. Many people use this med incorrectly..(such as the posted above who used it between getting high) and some don't do enough research and stay on it at high doses for too long. Many of those people have serious issues getting off of it.. Sub can produce withdrawls similiar to methodone in duration. due to the long half life.
I posted a Sub FAQ here a few months ago.. it is full of great info that your doc won't tell you.. Its info collected from patients who used it as opposed to getting info from the drug manufacturer.
Good luck to you
I think you will wonder what took you so long to start suboxin I was taking alot more pain meds than you and it works wonders for me. I feel great. I have not had a pain pill since sept 1st which don't sound like a long time but I am someone who could take 30 percs a day and then when I was switched to methadone I could take 8 to 10 40mgs a day. No lie I don't know how I am not dead. I have 3 kids 2 grandbabys and I spent every penny I had buying pills. I had a job making 600.00 a week and still never had a penny my husband paid all the bills he used to say what are you doing with your money and boy could I lie.!!! We moved from md to fl and I knew no one down here so I could not buy pills anymore and it was the best thing that happend to me I had to get help. My doctor has me on 4mg a day and I am cutting myself back from that. But I will say it works. For me anyway. Like I said I have not felt this great in YEARS. Just wait and see. Please let me know how you are doing. I like you, have no one to talk to and then I found this site and I look on it everyday. And believe me your family knows more than you think. My mom told me she used to go home and cry after she seen me in my stuper. At the time I did not care. I just wanted that high and I did not care what anyone said. So I know where you are coming from. But I have not urges for any pills don't want them would not take any. So it does work.
                                                                          WENDY
Thank-you all for your comments! I just came from a long drawn work function, and I was excited to come home and check to see if anyone had responded to me. This made me feel alot better!
..It sucks that people have misconceptions about people addicted to drugs. I'm a smart girl with a great job, and Im a good hearted person. I know that all of you are! Nobody asks to be addicted to drugs when they grow up!
We all know that taking pills makes you feel good for about 15 minutes and then you just want to take more to feel that high again, and you never do! I have come to that realization. I'm just taking them to feel normal at this point. I feel pathetic!
I'm considering contacting a therapist or addiction specialist before my appt. so I can let them know whats going on and maybe they can help me along the way. I have a feeling a lot of emotions that I've been smothering may arise after my detox, and Im not quite sure how I will handle it. I feel like I'm going to be losing my best friend.
It's really reassuring to know that I may be able to go back to work the next day! I think I might call in sick the day of my appt. so if i dont feel better the next day I can call in again. (stomach virus or something)
This is my 1st real try quitting on purpose..the only other times I have been forced to try was when I couldnt get pills, and I had to wait a day at the most. I took ALOT of cold pills to try and ease the pain to no avail.
It's really nice to be able to have a forum to write about your feelings to people that understand what your going through. I know I may be boring, and if no one responds thats fine.
Im not religous but I do believe in god and have started to pray for his support for both me and my boyfriend. My boyfriend does'nt take as many as I do, but he wants to quit just as bad. This is either going to make or break our relationship. He is a great person with strong values, but if we dont do this together, we can no longer be together, and I am fully aware of this. He is being strong for me. He's more worried about me than himself. He's stronger emotionally. He has already cut his intake in half, just to prepare himself.
I wont bore you anymore but thank-you again for your responses. I am going to continue to research other Drs. while I keep my appt. in a few weeks.

Is it normal what this Dr is doing? He says to come in for the consultation. He will evaluate me; give me a script to go fill; then in the same day, I go right back to him. He administers the med. and keeps me at his office for a few hours to evaluate me and if he needs to adjust them in any way he will. He said he wants me to feel as comfortable as possible, and then he will let me leave at his discretion. I will have to go back every day for the next 3-4 days for a follow up, and more meds.
If anyone thinks this sounds weird let me know.
If you made it this far into my comment, thank you for listening!
Good luck to everyone and keep up the good work! I will write again for sure!...Even if Im boring everyone! LOL ...It makes me feel better!
Thank-you all!
You are right no one asks for this I started taking them for a back problems and if I knew then what I know now I would rather live with back pain. I also am not real religous but I also believe in god and I pray every night to stay strong. One good thing that did come from all this is that my daughter who is 26 will not even take over the counter pain pills she has seen what it did to me. I would love to have the money I have spent in the last 10 years on that sh-t. lol  As you know when you get low you panic. And no price is too high. I just want to say good luck to you and everyone.!!!!!! May god be with you all and me. !!!!!!  I just know that suboxin has worked for me. Like I said I feel good again something I have not felt in years. The only difference is I am reading and taking to heart what people are saying this time like wean yourself off,ect. Before I knew it all and I could beat anything. Yea right, I always have to learn the hard way. lol But I am going to beat this I have too. I don't want to be who I was before. I never want to go back. Thank God I have all my family behind me I just told them the truth and like I said they knew more than I though they did. I was not as sneaky as I thought. lol
                                     Wendy
Yes what your doc is doing is normal... mine did pretty much the same thing.. except mine gave me my pills at the office i didn't have to fill a script.. which I was grateful for since I am told that the pills are like 7 or 8 bucks a piece. I only had to go in for the first 2 days.. He said i was doing so well that i didn't need to come back unless i wanted to.
thankyou for your comment .. that means a great deal to me!  I've been so busy and haven't been able to get on here the last couple of days or i would of responded sooner.  Please go to your appt.  You will be sooo glad you did this, trust me!!!!  Personally, I don't think i will be able to go off of them.  I was taking so much for so long that my dr has givin me the option to stay on 1 a day for the rest of my life if i choose.  I've sat here at times looking back at what i took in such a short amount of time and think thank god i'm not dead!  A freind of mine, her and i would spend all day looking for them when our scripts would run out and it wz sooo depressing when we couldn't get them or we could only get 5 of them and would have to split them.....can't tell you how many fights her and i got into over the pills...stupid! ... also when i think of the buzz i used to get, makes me sick to my stomach.  i can almost remember the feeling and it sickens me ... blah! ... anyways, everything you wrote about how the dr wants to see you is true.  i didn't have to do that - he sent me to get it filled and i took 2 but still didn't feel right.  thats when he upped me to 3 ... i go back in 10 days for my next months worth of pills, i think we might go down to 2 for the upcoming month. should be able to handle it ... you don't get that hi feeling from them like the vics, percs, etc ... your boyfriend is goin w/you and doing this w/you?  thats cool ... me and my best friend did it together so its pretty cool to have someone close who knows exactly what your dealing with ... you don't get any w/drawals w/the suboxones ... i got some pretty cool info in the mail when i went on line to suboxone.com ... they sent an info packet explaining what the opiates do to the receptors in your brain and how suboxone fixes it .. pretty interesting ... its a disease ... anyways, good luck!!! let me know how you're doing .... peace !!!!!!   ;-)
i keep reading where some poeple think suboxone should be used for only short term ... i really think it is up to the doctor and the patient on what is best for their situation ... my dr told me he has some patients who do well w/it doing the rapid detox and others who have been on it for a couple of years.  i haven't read anywhere in the suboxone information that it is for only short term .... i even went w/a friend to an NA meeting and it cracked me up how they were telling the people who r on suboxone that they are not clean ... that they should not be there and they cannot get their pins and so on ... this really pisses my friend off .... the way she looks at it is, she's clean ... she's not taking oxy, vicodin, percs and whatever else she could get her hands on ... i only went to the one meeting w/her and wouldn't go back ... i thought is wz supose to be supportive, everyone their for the same reason ... but this meeting wasn't like that at all ... i don't know ... i think to each their own ... you do what you have to do to get yourself off the pills - whether it be suboxone, methadone, goin cold turkey or rehab.   i also think some people discourage people to go on suboxone because the doctors don't know what they're doing ... and that they only had an 8 hr training and such ... but no one on here has any training on suboxone or is a doctor ... just thoughts thats all ... nothing to be taken personally ... just had to say it ... someone told me that i was taking way too much for too long and that i'm more than likely addicted to them now ... but i'm not working w/them like i work w/my doctor ...  peace ~!!
Hi all. I am new here and need help.  I've been on suboxone for about 9 months now. Stopped a couple times to be able to take a oxy here and there, and of course ended up regreting it. This time I really messed up. I stopped by subs and have been getting high on mainly oxy's for the past 3 weeks now. I've been taking 6 80mg oxys daily, except for today, I did 5 bags of heroin and then 8 10mg methadones. I want to stop!!! I really do. I keep saying tomorrow b/c I am dreading that first day of withdrawing! I have a bunch of suboxones left, I just want to know the best way to detox myself without feeling severe withdrawls. If anyone has some advice for me on the best way to detox myself using my suboxones...please let me know! When should I start them? How many should I take ( i usually take 16mg daily) The last time i took anything was around 8:30pm tonight, which were those 8 10mg methadones. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!! I can't do this anymore!!! I'm done. I want to live a normal life and make my family proud again. It's just this first step being the most difficult!
Thanks!
Kristi
If the last thing you took was methodone you will need to wait at least 48 hours before taking Suboxone... some people need to wait 5 days.. you will need to be in withdrawls to take it.. if you take it too soon it will put you into severe precipitated withdrawls. I would really suggest you go see a doctor to get started again. Going on Sub after taking methodone is tricky.
i have a friend that takes suboxone, she says they miscounted the pills and now she is running out can someone tell me what happens if she does not have them and does without. she took her last today. i suggest to go to the emergency room and explain to them what is going on. she gets her med from a clinic.
The ER will not be able to give her more.. Sub is highly regulated and only certain docs who are certified can give her a script. She should try to get into her clinic tommorrow..  If they miscounted her pills for real she should have said something on the day she picked them up, not as she is running out.. Or she took more than she was supposed to and is using them miscounting as a excuse.  Addicts do that all the time.
I am 28 and going through the same thing that you are.  I start the suboxone tomorrow morning.  I lied to my work about why I would be out.  I have been on vics for years because of a neck injury.  I had stopped a year ago.  My BF broke up with me because he didn't want to be with an addict.  I just flushed the rest of my supply when that happened and didn't touch another one for a long time.  Then, I just started ordering them online again.  A month's supply (120) pills at 15mgs each were lasting between one and two weeks.  I have spend almost all of my savings ordering these pills and have stolen them too.  I am scared of the suboxone.  My bF doesn't know what is going on and I am lying to him too.  I have to do this by myself and I am terrified!  What if it doesn't work?  What if I have the major withdrawals anyway?  Can someone please help ease my mind?  I was told to take my last pills today so I would be beginning with the withdrawals tomorrow and was told that I would get  a dose every two hours the first day and once a day afterwards.  I have to make up some lie about having to go to town so early on a Saturday and Sunday.  The clinic won't send the meds home with me so I have to either skip two days or figure out what to do.  If he finds out, he will kick me out sure as hell.  please....I need a friend.
I started Sub last Friday.

I waited exactly 18 hours from my last hydro (150mg day habit from surgeries) and took 4mgs of Sub.  1 hour later I felt like a new person.  All WD symtpoms are gone, I feel normal, no cravings, nothing as I sit here.  I also got some personality back, everyone says I seem so happy.

I was scared to death to go in and take the plunge, but am so happy I did.   The dr was very nice and it was a very easy process, I wish I had done it a long time ago.   I know it is not for everyone, but for those that believe the WD is holding them back, this may be your answer.

Had the best weekend of my life in years.  Felt normal.  You will be fine, it works, I had the same fears.  The worst part is the WD prior to your appt.  
Thanks for your comments!  I started SUB yesterday and was in full blown WD's after only 12 hours of taking my last three pills.  I have a serious neck injury and the addiction doctor said that I may have to keep taking the vicodin, but this detox will basically put my body back to zero so that taking one pill will be just as effective.  He told me that if I had to keep taking them, to never deviate from the script and I would be ok.  He also said that if I was tempted to take more to get high, I needed to call him immediatley and he would help me get through that urge.  I am telling you,  I feel like a new person!  They started me on 20mgs yesterday taking 8mg the first dose, then 4mgs every two hours for three more doses.  I have medicine to help me sleep (i suffer from insomnia anyways)  I took one trazadone and slept like a baby.  I was so happy that the chills and sweats stopped!  I have had to hide all of this from my boyfriend so it has been very difficult.  Do you know how long the SUB stays in your system after the detox is over.  I am going to try to make tylenol work for this pain, but if I have to take a pill, I don't want to take it and get sick from it.  Do you have any idea?  Please don't get me wrong....I let my vicodin use turn into abuse and was taking it for a high.  I realized that I had a problem and went to take care of that.  The prescribed dose wasn't enough because I had been abusing so long.  If I took 3 15/100 hydro's, I would still get sweats and chills.  It was that bad.  I have to have a mind over matter thing going on here.  Please, anyone who reads this, respond back asap.

Love you guys!
plumscared28
Sub's half life is 36 hours which means it stays in your body for over 100 hours total from when you took it. you will not get sick from taking opiates after sub, the sub will just block the opiate from working. the only time you can get sick is if you take a sub too soon after you have taken a opiate.
Thanks.  I wouldn't want to take it if it won't work for the pain.  That is what you mean by blocking the opiate right?
i am on methadone now about 20 30 Mg's daily how long before i can take sub?
are people saying you need to take a day or two off work ??
how many hrs / days at the minimum
after taking 30 40 mgs of methadone before taking sub?
also don't want the inconvenience off going to a clinic every day
this is possible on sub , correct?
me again how long can I expect to be on sub? is there a 21 day 30 day 90 day program i sure as hell am tired of maintenance programs was clean for 10 years and want "normal " life back-any side affects ? sexual , emotional physical ??
i  know methadone constipates me and too much makes me impotent also sweat a lot
any feed back would be appreciated and also God bless us all and see us thru this nightmare of addiction and fear
like most I dont want to lose all to to get better worked hard to get where I am .
Hi. You keep posting on an old thread. That is why no one is answering you.

Go to the main page. Then to the addiction forum. You will see "post a question". Hit that and follow the instructions. This will post your own thread. You will receive a lot of help this way.

Hope to see you out there.
Briefly...I am 33 years old and have been using (abusing) pain killers, on and off now for over 4 years.  Mu use, started innocently, as I had wrist surgery some years ago and used the meds to help with my pain management.  Ahhhh, but then I realized how much "happier" and easy going I was with the pills.  That is until I ran out one day and experienced the most horrific withdrawls ever.  Of course, I went to my doctor, and told him that the pain was not getting any better ( a lie) and he just kept writing me scripts; eventually however, he caught on and told me he believed I had developed an addiction and he was no longer going to be writing me scripts...I was beside myself with worry about going through that horrible feeling again...so, I began my drug seeking behavior, looking for them anywhere I could find them, and paying whatever the cost...I couldn't function without them.  Long story short, I have reached a point in my life where I cannot do this any longer...I just cannot.  So, I went online and searched pain killer addiction and how to "ween yourself off". I found out about Suboxone.  I am a single mother and am currently unemployed so there is just no way I can afford rehabilitation.  I want my life back more than anything in the world.  I came across a bottle of Suboxone and thats all I will say about that...I do not have a doctor to tell me how to administer and so I am turning to all who have lived through my agony to help me with this...please, someone tell me how to take this, so that I can be happy again...I know this is not going to happen overnight, and I am more than willing to commit, I just need some advice.
you have posted to an OLD thread...please repost your question on the forum to start your own thread...you will get alot of responses there...go to the bottom of this page, click on "go back to forum"...then go to the top of the page and click on post a new question...
This is my second battle with addition to Vicodin.  At one point I was taking 360mg a day!  I was down to about 60-100mg a day when I saw a doctor about Suboxone.  I just started taking it today.  I was scared and nervous!  It is the BEST thing I've ever done.  I took my last 30mg of Vicodin the night before at 7:00 p.m.  I took my first 12mg dose of Suboxone at 9:00 a.m. this morning...so I waited 12 hours after my last Vicodin to start Suboxone.  I feel terrific!  I have experienced absolutely no side effects at all.  I realize it's only the first day, but from what I've read, it's the beginning that's difficult for most people.  I finally feel hope again.  The first time, I quit cold turkey.  It was the worst WD and I felt like dying.  Stupidly, I got hooked again after I broke my arm and was prescribed them.  Then I went on the Internet and got them.  I finally told my husband about my situation and I feel hope and life coming back in to me.  He was supportive and I'm on the road to recovery...forever!!!
If anyone has any questions for me about Suboxone, please email at tryin_2_get_by***@****
I'd like to help anyone who's willing to help themselves.
By the way...the BETH74, start by placing 1- 8mg tablet under your tongue.  Let it dissolve completely.  DO NOT SWALLOW IT.  If you do not feel noticably better in an hour, put another 1/2 under your tongue.  Keep doing this until you keep acceptably better.  I wouldn't recommend using more than 32 mg in a single day.  Also, you're supposed to take your entire daily dose in one sitting but my doctor says I don't have to do that.  But take the initial daily dose at the same time each day.  I would recommend taking it in the morning.  Take more ONLY IF you're feeling withdrawal symptoms.  GOOD LUCK!!
my email is tryin_2_get_by at yahoo dot com for anyone who has questions.  I have no idea why they won't allow me to post an email for those who need help.
Yes, that's what FLaddict meant.  As long as the SUB is in your system it will render any opiates useless.  You'll be wasting pills by taking them since they won't do a thing for you.  SUB attaches stronger to the opiod receptors and keeps any other opiates, like Vic, out.
One more thing....good for you.  You're a strong person to recognize your weaknesses and get help.  God love you.  But...if your BF will not be supportive and you have to hide this from him you may want to evaluate this.  As an addict, like me, you need to surround yourself with supportive people.  Good luck!
My son just started on SUB two days ago.  He is saying how sick it is making him feel (nauseous, constipated, headache, feverish).  Is this the SUB medication or is it WD from opiates?
Hi cindy...

This is an old post. Pls go to the top of this page and hit the post a question button. You will start your own.
You're "clean & sober" and on sub.???
first off...this is an OLD post...gregory12172 is no longer here...and yup, he did say "clean and sober" on sub...as compared to the life i was living as a full blown non-functioning, unproductive member of society with a severe addiction...i consider myself the same...on sub...
Yeah, I can get with that as being 100% better as compared to ones prior life, and you're taking something as prescribed  and can live a "normal" life.  When I went from taking 60 750s a day to being on sub. it was night and day - like I had my life back.  I did a 6 week detox on sub., and it's a wonder drug - but it is a very powerful opiate, so "clean and sober", I don't know if that's the right description - like calling someone on methadone maintainence "clean".  I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it - who am I to judge? - but "clean" is "clean" meaning you take nothing that affects you from the neck up - as I've done for 11 months now.
If u take tha suboxone you can take vikes like 12 hrs later....u may not feel high but you will help tha pain...
1 took 2mg suboxone at 8 am...then I took 5 vikes at 9pm....I had too I couldent take tha pain anymore...I did feel high but now I don't kno what to do tha suboxone didn't do anything
this is a very old post, go to the top of the forum and go to "post question" and start a new one, or this will just get lost
r2r
What are u talking about??....what's tha difference .....
I am definitely going to start on Suboxone as I have found a place where I can go as I took my best friend there as we were both PK partners, he has relapsed but I need to at least try because he is motivated  and I am too. Since the late 70's, the 80's 90's and especially 98- now I have been on tons of pain meds.  Started with Vicodin, Percodan, Demerol, for migraines, than was diagnosed with back problems, neuropathy, HIV+, HCV+(now gone since Feb of this year after 30 months of interferon which was a living hell) and started on 40mg of OxyContin four times a day.  By 2002, I was addicted and was in pain management where I was given methadone, then morphine, about 5 back procedure given shots of steroids which did nothing for pain.  Eventually, I saw a Neurologist as the peripheral neuropathy was like frostbite and very painful.  Every 3-4 months, I saw him in person to check my pain level and he would ask if I needed and increase in meds, of course I said yes and got up to 320mg of OxyContin twice a day plus Percocet 10-20mg every 4 hours.  This went on(by now I had went on disability, while working I couldn't wait to get home to my best friend, OC.) I wish I could have held out and kept my job but they let me go because I had too many appointments and missed work too much. Sure miss my job.. Anyway, after my insurance took OC off their formulary w/o warning, I went into withdrawal, placed on Duragesic 100 (fentanyl) and Percocet again.  Than back to morphine, than finally after new insurance, I am on on 30mg of oxycodone every 4 hours 5x a day and 80mg of OxyContin twice a day.  I always run out and go on wild chases to get more and pay street prices. ai hope this suboxone works as I want my life back.  Lately I have been speed balling a lot.  I have managed to quit smoking, but have mild emphysema and want very much to have a clean and healthy life. At one point I was on crystal on and off for 3 months which was due to lack of opiates and people i normally wouldn't hang with. I was into crack cocaine and IV as well at that time while shooting Dilaudid & Overdoing on Fentanyl.  I am a living miracle and know that God was and is watching over me. I don't really have a question other than how long should I wait after my last dose of OC? 12-24 hours or just when the withdrawal gets too much?
Take direction from your physician, whom I assume is a pain speciaslist AND addiction medicine certified (ASAM). If your really want your life back as you say you do, you will start collaborating with your doc - you should not be doing this "on your own".....as you've probalby heard a million times, "your best thinking got you here". Time to surrender so you can get clean. Suboxone is a tool, that's all it is. If you want lomng-term health, you would increase your success probability by involving yourself in therapy, 12step, other support, surrounding yourself with recovering people, staying away from slippery places, whatever. But just taking suboxone is a trap. Be realistic. You're an addict - there is no magic bullet. Yes, you're a survivor today but don't kid yourself - eventually, your number will come up. Good luck - I wish you the best.
Tommorow I start treatment with suboxon. I am scared yet excited to get my life back.Please pray for my full recovery and wish me the best of luck!
I just started taking suboxone 2 days ago. I am having side-effects. These side-effects are listed in the info I got with my prescription, but it says to notify my doc immediately. The problem is I do not want him to take me off of them. This is the first time in years I have went 2 days w/out pain pills (hydrocodone, oxycodone). So I guess I'm just wondering if anybody out there has had similar side-effects. They include: trouble breathing at night, trouble sleeping, forgetfulness/confusion, headache, chills, dizzyness. I know it sounds bad, but the sife-effects are better than the alternative!! Has anyone else had these?
I took a sub over 28 hours ago and used heroin all day yesterday and used again this morning.  When should I take another sub?
I am trying to figure out after taking suboxone can u take methadone within the next 24 hours.. would it have the same affect as feeling like I was going to die from taking suboxone too soon after taking methadone.. because i really dont want to feel that way again... Any help on answering my question would be much appreciated. thanks
Hi - this is an old thread so you many not get many responses. You could always post a new question if you'd like. You will not get sick if you take a methadone. Suboxone is an opiate blocker so you likely won't feel any of the effects of the methadone, but it will not make you sick. Suboxone has a long half life, about 36-72 hours, so you may not feel the full effects of the methadone until a couple days after your sub dose. You didn't mention why you were going from sub to methadone?
could someone help whos on subutex i'm on 16mg aday and i've been on these subutex for 6years now and i'm going into a hospital detox for 14days or 21days not sure think it's 14 days and i'm scared

what do i expect with withdraws because from what i've read it's gonna be alot more tuff than i originally thought

just send me a message on here to my profile as if i write my email i'm sure these guys will cover it up

i'll try

shelly_swanzy***@****
You have to be in complete withdrawal, effect before starting Suboxone>>>>VIP<<<<<  Minimum  18 to 24 hours or it will give a rebound effect and put you in immediate withdrawal.  

Wait as long as possible... Take a day off a lay in bed, watch movies,  don't take the Suboxone until (you will know)... My doctor said 18 hours minimum but as close to the 24 hour window,  the safer... Message me with any questions.... And, GOOD LUCK!
Hello Everyone,
    I was not going to write but I figure I may help someone if I do.  I went to detox four years ago (family forced) and I was only on suboxone for the 8 days I was in there.  They sent me home with xanaflex and seroquel and I stop those after about two months I stayed clean for 14 months.  Then I got back with my ex and he talked me into going back to the doctor and getting me script of 180 (80mg) oxys and 145 (30) mg roxys every 30 days.  Needless to say I snorted one almost before I got to the car at the pharmacy and within 2 months I was shooting up again.  That many pills only lasted the two of us 6 or 7 days every month, then for 3 weeks I spent every penny I had pawned everything I had and lived within four walls.  I was either spending every penny or sick as a dog daily.   My 20 year old diabetic daughter is 7 months pregnant and I finally woke up and put myself back in the detox that I went to before.  They started me on suboxone my second day and I didn't want to take it but the doctor told me I needed it and he was right.  I only stayed in there five days this time and the suboxone keeps you so comfortable the withdrawals are not bad at all, and they also make the cravings go away.  Of course I am an addict and part of me is trying to talk me in to using but I do not want to go back to that hell.  I am living again already.  I laugh again and I rode four wheelers with my niece and nephew today and had a better time than I had shooting up oxycontin.  And most important I have my first grandchild due in 2 months and I am determined to be clean for him.  I wish you all the courage and strength to stop.  May God Bless Each and Every One!!!
What happens if you take opiates while on suboxone??? The suboxone is not working so I took a few hits of heroin. I want to feel good on the sub. Help!!
I was on 45 mg of methodone. I was off of it and back on heroin for 3 days when I switched to suboxone. I took 2 mg about 10 hours after I was high when w/d began. 1 hour later I took another 2mg, I was getting sick and repeated this the  next hou.  
I feel really bad. I have full w/d so I took a few hits of heroin but it didn't stop the w/d. How do I get back on the sub. And not feel bad. What did I do wrong? Can i be clean from opiates within a week? Can I pass a drug test while on suboxone??? Please help. My doctor failed me. Help
just started soboxone this morning last used yesterday no support just myself dont want anyone to know glad i seen what you wrote worrying less thanks hope i make it
Hi I have read some posts about suboxone and am really scard to start it! I was on 3 or 4 MS Contin (100 MGs) per day so anywhere from 300 to 400 mgs a day, if I could I would occasionally do more when possible, that being said I finally decided after 10 years of using its time to quit! Went to my pain specialist and asked how to quit without experiencing to much w/d She put me on Kadian 20mgs and said take 7 pills twice a day, that works out to 280 MSG per day nonetheless I tried and of course experienced some withdrawal symptoms, I have to be on the Kadians for awhile to get my dose down, then she plans on giving me Suboxone! I'm scard! Questions!!! How much of a dose should I be on of the Kadians before I get on the Subs? And how long should I stay on it for? And will I go through w/d from the Subox......