Beginning Suboxone
I'm currently decreasing on Methadone (on about 5-10 mg/day).  I just got a prescription filled for Suboxone and am wondering how much I have to be in withdrawals to begin taking Suboxone.  I've read that if you are taking under 30mgs of Methandone, you can start Suboxone immediately but have also read that you must be in full withdrawals to begin.  If I start the Suboxone now, what will happen?  Will I be in worse withdrawals than if I just wait and take in a couple of days?  I'm wondering which w/d's will be worse (Methadone or starting Suboxone).  Any info will be appreciated.
You are right no one asks for this I started taking them for a back problems and if I knew then what I know now I would rather live with back pain. I also am not real religous but I also believe in god and I pray every night to stay strong. One good thing that did come from all this is that my daughter who is 26 will not even take over the counter pain pills she has seen what it did to me. I would love to have the money I have spent in the last 10 years on that sh-t. lol  As you know when you get low you panic. And no price is too high. I just want to say good luck to you and everyone.!!!!!! May god be with you all and me. !!!!!!  I just know that suboxin has worked for me. Like I said I feel good again something I have not felt in years. The only difference is I am reading and taking to heart what people are saying this time like wean yourself off,ect. Before I knew it all and I could beat anything. Yea right, I always have to learn the hard way. lol But I am going to beat this I have too. I don't want to be who I was before. I never want to go back. Thank God I have all my family behind me I just told them the truth and like I said they knew more than I though they did. I was not as sneaky as I thought. lol
                                     Wendy
Yes what your doc is doing is normal... mine did pretty much the same thing.. except mine gave me my pills at the office i didn't have to fill a script.. which I was grateful for since I am told that the pills are like 7 or 8 bucks a piece. I only had to go in for the first 2 days.. He said i was doing so well that i didn't need to come back unless i wanted to.
thankyou for your comment .. that means a great deal to me!  I've been so busy and haven't been able to get on here the last couple of days or i would of responded sooner.  Please go to your appt.  You will be sooo glad you did this, trust me!!!!  Personally, I don't think i will be able to go off of them.  I was taking so much for so long that my dr has givin me the option to stay on 1 a day for the rest of my life if i choose.  I've sat here at times looking back at what i took in such a short amount of time and think thank god i'm not dead!  A freind of mine, her and i would spend all day looking for them when our scripts would run out and it wz sooo depressing when we couldn't get them or we could only get 5 of them and would have to split them.....can't tell you how many fights her and i got into over the pills...stupid! ... also when i think of the buzz i used to get, makes me sick to my stomach.  i can almost remember the feeling and it sickens me ... blah! ... anyways, everything you wrote about how the dr wants to see you is true.  i didn't have to do that - he sent me to get it filled and i took 2 but still didn't feel right.  thats when he upped me to 3 ... i go back in 10 days for my next months worth of pills, i think we might go down to 2 for the upcoming month. should be able to handle it ... you don't get that hi feeling from them like the vics, percs, etc ... your boyfriend is goin w/you and doing this w/you?  thats cool ... me and my best friend did it together so its pretty cool to have someone close who knows exactly what your dealing with ... you don't get any w/drawals w/the suboxones ... i got some pretty cool info in the mail when i went on line to suboxone.com ... they sent an info packet explaining what the opiates do to the receptors in your brain and how suboxone fixes it .. pretty interesting ... its a disease ... anyways, good luck!!! let me know how you're doing .... peace !!!!!!   ;-)
i keep reading where some poeple think suboxone should be used for only short term ... i really think it is up to the doctor and the patient on what is best for their situation ... my dr told me he has some patients who do well w/it doing the rapid detox and others who have been on it for a couple of years.  i haven't read anywhere in the suboxone information that it is for only short term .... i even went w/a friend to an NA meeting and it cracked me up how they were telling the people who r on suboxone that they are not clean ... that they should not be there and they cannot get their pins and so on ... this really pisses my friend off .... the way she looks at it is, she's clean ... she's not taking oxy, vicodin, percs and whatever else she could get her hands on ... i only went to the one meeting w/her and wouldn't go back ... i thought is wz supose to be supportive, everyone their for the same reason ... but this meeting wasn't like that at all ... i don't know ... i think to each their own ... you do what you have to do to get yourself off the pills - whether it be suboxone, methadone, goin cold turkey or rehab.   i also think some people discourage people to go on suboxone because the doctors don't know what they're doing ... and that they only had an 8 hr training and such ... but no one on here has any training on suboxone or is a doctor ... just thoughts thats all ... nothing to be taken personally ... just had to say it ... someone told me that i was taking way too much for too long and that i'm more than likely addicted to them now ... but i'm not working w/them like i work w/my doctor ...  peace ~!!
Hi all. I am new here and need help.  I've been on suboxone for about 9 months now. Stopped a couple times to be able to take a oxy here and there, and of course ended up regreting it. This time I really messed up. I stopped by subs and have been getting high on mainly oxy's for the past 3 weeks now. I've been taking 6 80mg oxys daily, except for today, I did 5 bags of heroin and then 8 10mg methadones. I want to stop!!! I really do. I keep saying tomorrow b/c I am dreading that first day of withdrawing! I have a bunch of suboxones left, I just want to know the best way to detox myself without feeling severe withdrawls. If anyone has some advice for me on the best way to detox myself using my suboxones...please let me know! When should I start them? How many should I take ( i usually take 16mg daily) The last time i took anything was around 8:30pm tonight, which were those 8 10mg methadones. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!! I can't do this anymore!!! I'm done. I want to live a normal life and make my family proud again. It's just this first step being the most difficult!
Thanks!
Kristi
If the last thing you took was methodone you will need to wait at least 48 hours before taking Suboxone... some people need to wait 5 days.. you will need to be in withdrawls to take it.. if you take it too soon it will put you into severe precipitated withdrawls. I would really suggest you go see a doctor to get started again. Going on Sub after taking methodone is tricky.
i have a friend that takes suboxone, she says they miscounted the pills and now she is running out can someone tell me what happens if she does not have them and does without. she took her last today. i suggest to go to the emergency room and explain to them what is going on. she gets her med from a clinic.
The ER will not be able to give her more.. Sub is highly regulated and only certain docs who are certified can give her a script. She should try to get into her clinic tommorrow..  If they miscounted her pills for real she should have said something on the day she picked them up, not as she is running out.. Or she took more than she was supposed to and is using them miscounting as a excuse.  Addicts do that all the time.
I am 28 and going through the same thing that you are.  I start the suboxone tomorrow morning.  I lied to my work about why I would be out.  I have been on vics for years because of a neck injury.  I had stopped a year ago.  My BF broke up with me because he didn't want to be with an addict.  I just flushed the rest of my supply when that happened and didn't touch another one for a long time.  Then, I just started ordering them online again.  A month's supply (120) pills at 15mgs each were lasting between one and two weeks.  I have spend almost all of my savings ordering these pills and have stolen them too.  I am scared of the suboxone.  My bF doesn't know what is going on and I am lying to him too.  I have to do this by myself and I am terrified!  What if it doesn't work?  What if I have the major withdrawals anyway?  Can someone please help ease my mind?  I was told to take my last pills today so I would be beginning with the withdrawals tomorrow and was told that I would get  a dose every two hours the first day and once a day afterwards.  I have to make up some lie about having to go to town so early on a Saturday and Sunday.  The clinic won't send the meds home with me so I have to either skip two days or figure out what to do.  If he finds out, he will kick me out sure as hell.  please....I need a friend.
I started Sub last Friday.

I waited exactly 18 hours from my last hydro (150mg day habit from surgeries) and took 4mgs of Sub.  1 hour later I felt like a new person.  All WD symtpoms are gone, I feel normal, no cravings, nothing as I sit here.  I also got some personality back, everyone says I seem so happy.

I was scared to death to go in and take the plunge, but am so happy I did.   The dr was very nice and it was a very easy process, I wish I had done it a long time ago.   I know it is not for everyone, but for those that believe the WD is holding them back, this may be your answer.

Had the best weekend of my life in years.  Felt normal.  You will be fine, it works, I had the same fears.  The worst part is the WD prior to your appt.  
Thanks for your comments!  I started SUB yesterday and was in full blown WD's after only 12 hours of taking my last three pills.  I have a serious neck injury and the addiction doctor said that I may have to keep taking the vicodin, but this detox will basically put my body back to zero so that taking one pill will be just as effective.  He told me that if I had to keep taking them, to never deviate from the script and I would be ok.  He also said that if I was tempted to take more to get high, I needed to call him immediatley and he would help me get through that urge.  I am telling you,  I feel like a new person!  They started me on 20mgs yesterday taking 8mg the first dose, then 4mgs every two hours for three more doses.  I have medicine to help me sleep (i suffer from insomnia anyways)  I took one trazadone and slept like a baby.  I was so happy that the chills and sweats stopped!  I have had to hide all of this from my boyfriend so it has been very difficult.  Do you know how long the SUB stays in your system after the detox is over.  I am going to try to make tylenol work for this pain, but if I have to take a pill, I don't want to take it and get sick from it.  Do you have any idea?  Please don't get me wrong....I let my vicodin use turn into abuse and was taking it for a high.  I realized that I had a problem and went to take care of that.  The prescribed dose wasn't enough because I had been abusing so long.  If I took 3 15/100 hydro's, I would still get sweats and chills.  It was that bad.  I have to have a mind over matter thing going on here.  Please, anyone who reads this, respond back asap.

Love you guys!
plumscared28
Sub's half life is 36 hours which means it stays in your body for over 100 hours total from when you took it. you will not get sick from taking opiates after sub, the sub will just block the opiate from working. the only time you can get sick is if you take a sub too soon after you have taken a opiate.
Thanks.  I wouldn't want to take it if it won't work for the pain.  That is what you mean by blocking the opiate right?
i am on methadone now about 20 30 Mg's daily how long before i can take sub?
are people saying you need to take a day or two off work ??
how many hrs / days at the minimum
after taking 30 40 mgs of methadone before taking sub?
also don't want the inconvenience off going to a clinic every day
this is possible on sub , correct?
me again how long can I expect to be on sub? is there a 21 day 30 day 90 day program i sure as hell am tired of maintenance programs was clean for 10 years and want "normal " life back-any side affects ? sexual , emotional physical ??
i  know methadone constipates me and too much makes me impotent also sweat a lot
any feed back would be appreciated and also God bless us all and see us thru this nightmare of addiction and fear
like most I dont want to lose all to to get better worked hard to get where I am .
Hi. You keep posting on an old thread. That is why no one is answering you.

Go to the main page. Then to the addiction forum. You will see "post a question". Hit that and follow the instructions. This will post your own thread. You will receive a lot of help this way.

Hope to see you out there.
Briefly...I am 33 years old and have been using (abusing) pain killers, on and off now for over 4 years.  Mu use, started innocently, as I had wrist surgery some years ago and used the meds to help with my pain management.  Ahhhh, but then I realized how much "happier" and easy going I was with the pills.  That is until I ran out one day and experienced the most horrific withdrawls ever.  Of course, I went to my doctor, and told him that the pain was not getting any better ( a lie) and he just kept writing me scripts; eventually however, he caught on and told me he believed I had developed an addiction and he was no longer going to be writing me scripts...I was beside myself with worry about going through that horrible feeling again...so, I began my drug seeking behavior, looking for them anywhere I could find them, and paying whatever the cost...I couldn't function without them.  Long story short, I have reached a point in my life where I cannot do this any longer...I just cannot.  So, I went online and searched pain killer addiction and how to "ween yourself off". I found out about Suboxone.  I am a single mother and am currently unemployed so there is just no way I can afford rehabilitation.  I want my life back more than anything in the world.  I came across a bottle of Suboxone and thats all I will say about that...I do not have a doctor to tell me how to administer and so I am turning to all who have lived through my agony to help me with this...please, someone tell me how to take this, so that I can be happy again...I know this is not going to happen overnight, and I am more than willing to commit, I just need some advice.
you have posted to an OLD thread...please repost your question on the forum to start your own thread...you will get alot of responses there...go to the bottom of this page, click on "go back to forum"...then go to the top of the page and click on post a new question...
This is my second battle with addition to Vicodin.  At one point I was taking 360mg a day!  I was down to about 60-100mg a day when I saw a doctor about Suboxone.  I just started taking it today.  I was scared and nervous!  It is the BEST thing I've ever done.  I took my last 30mg of Vicodin the night before at 7:00 p.m.  I took my first 12mg dose of Suboxone at 9:00 a.m. this morning...so I waited 12 hours after my last Vicodin to start Suboxone.  I feel terrific!  I have experienced absolutely no side effects at all.  I realize it's only the first day, but from what I've read, it's the beginning that's difficult for most people.  I finally feel hope again.  The first time, I quit cold turkey.  It was the worst WD and I felt like dying.  Stupidly, I got hooked again after I broke my arm and was prescribed them.  Then I went on the Internet and got them.  I finally told my husband about my situation and I feel hope and life coming back in to me.  He was supportive and I'm on the road to recovery...forever!!!
If anyone has any questions for me about Suboxone, please email at tryin_2_get_by***@****
I'd like to help anyone who's willing to help themselves.
By the way...the BETH74, start by placing 1- 8mg tablet under your tongue.  Let it dissolve completely.  DO NOT SWALLOW IT.  If you do not feel noticably better in an hour, put another 1/2 under your tongue.  Keep doing this until you keep acceptably better.  I wouldn't recommend using more than 32 mg in a single day.  Also, you're supposed to take your entire daily dose in one sitting but my doctor says I don't have to do that.  But take the initial daily dose at the same time each day.  I would recommend taking it in the morning.  Take more ONLY IF you're feeling withdrawal symptoms.  GOOD LUCK!!
my email is tryin_2_get_by at yahoo dot com for anyone who has questions.  I have no idea why they won't allow me to post an email for those who need help.
Yes, that's what FLaddict meant.  As long as the SUB is in your system it will render any opiates useless.  You'll be wasting pills by taking them since they won't do a thing for you.  SUB attaches stronger to the opiod receptors and keeps any other opiates, like Vic, out.
One more thing....good for you.  You're a strong person to recognize your weaknesses and get help.  God love you.  But...if your BF will not be supportive and you have to hide this from him you may want to evaluate this.  As an addict, like me, you need to surround yourself with supportive people.  Good luck!
My son just started on SUB two days ago.  He is saying how sick it is making him feel (nauseous, constipated, headache, feverish).  Is this the SUB medication or is it WD from opiates?
Hi cindy...

This is an old post. Pls go to the top of this page and hit the post a question button. You will start your own.
You're "clean & sober" and on sub.???
first off...this is an OLD post...gregory12172 is no longer here...and yup, he did say "clean and sober" on sub...as compared to the life i was living as a full blown non-functioning, unproductive member of society with a severe addiction...i consider myself the same...on sub...
Yeah, I can get with that as being 100% better as compared to ones prior life, and you're taking something as prescribed  and can live a "normal" life.  When I went from taking 60 750s a day to being on sub. it was night and day - like I had my life back.  I did a 6 week detox on sub., and it's a wonder drug - but it is a very powerful opiate, so "clean and sober", I don't know if that's the right description - like calling someone on methadone maintainence "clean".  I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it - who am I to judge? - but "clean" is "clean" meaning you take nothing that affects you from the neck up - as I've done for 11 months now.
If u take tha suboxone you can take vikes like 12 hrs later....u may not feel high but you will help tha pain...
1 took 2mg suboxone at 8 am...then I took 5 vikes at 9pm....I had too I couldent take tha pain anymore...I did feel high but now I don't kno what to do tha suboxone didn't do anything
this is a very old post, go to the top of the forum and go to "post question" and start a new one, or this will just get lost
r2r
What are u talking about??....what's tha difference .....
I am definitely going to start on Suboxone as I have found a place where I can go as I took my best friend there as we were both PK partners, he has relapsed but I need to at least try because he is motivated  and I am too. Since the late 70's, the 80's 90's and especially 98- now I have been on tons of pain meds.  Started with Vicodin, Percodan, Demerol, for migraines, than was diagnosed with back problems, neuropathy, HIV+, HCV+(now gone since Feb of this year after 30 months of interferon which was a living hell) and started on 40mg of OxyContin four times a day.  By 2002, I was addicted and was in pain management where I was given methadone, then morphine, about 5 back procedure given shots of steroids which did nothing for pain.  Eventually, I saw a Neurologist as the peripheral neuropathy was like frostbite and very painful.  Every 3-4 months, I saw him in person to check my pain level and he would ask if I needed and increase in meds, of course I said yes and got up to 320mg of OxyContin twice a day plus Percocet 10-20mg every 4 hours.  This went on(by now I had went on disability, while working I couldn't wait to get home to my best friend, OC.) I wish I could have held out and kept my job but they let me go because I had too many appointments and missed work too much. Sure miss my job.. Anyway, after my insurance took OC off their formulary w/o warning, I went into withdrawal, placed on Duragesic 100 (fentanyl) and Percocet again.  Than back to morphine, than finally after new insurance, I am on on 30mg of oxycodone every 4 hours 5x a day and 80mg of OxyContin twice a day.  I always run out and go on wild chases to get more and pay street prices. ai hope this suboxone works as I want my life back.  Lately I have been speed balling a lot.  I have managed to quit smoking, but have mild emphysema and want very much to have a clean and healthy life. At one point I was on crystal on and off for 3 months which was due to lack of opiates and people i normally wouldn't hang with. I was into crack cocaine and IV as well at that time while shooting Dilaudid & Overdoing on Fentanyl.  I am a living miracle and know that God was and is watching over me. I don't really have a question other than how long should I wait after my last dose of OC? 12-24 hours or just when the withdrawal gets too much?
Take direction from your physician, whom I assume is a pain speciaslist AND addiction medicine certified (ASAM). If your really want your life back as you say you do, you will start collaborating with your doc - you should not be doing this "on your own".....as you've probalby heard a million times, "your best thinking got you here". Time to surrender so you can get clean. Suboxone is a tool, that's all it is. If you want lomng-term health, you would increase your success probability by involving yourself in therapy, 12step, other support, surrounding yourself with recovering people, staying away from slippery places, whatever. But just taking suboxone is a trap. Be realistic. You're an addict - there is no magic bullet. Yes, you're a survivor today but don't kid yourself - eventually, your number will come up. Good luck - I wish you the best.
Tommorow I start treatment with suboxon. I am scared yet excited to get my life back.Please pray for my full recovery and wish me the best of luck!
I just started taking suboxone 2 days ago. I am having side-effects. These side-effects are listed in the info I got with my prescription, but it says to notify my doc immediately. The problem is I do not want him to take me off of them. This is the first time in years I have went 2 days w/out pain pills (hydrocodone, oxycodone). So I guess I'm just wondering if anybody out there has had similar side-effects. They include: trouble breathing at night, trouble sleeping, forgetfulness/confusion, headache, chills, dizzyness. I know it sounds bad, but the sife-effects are better than the alternative!! Has anyone else had these?
I took a sub over 28 hours ago and used heroin all day yesterday and used again this morning.  When should I take another sub?
I am trying to figure out after taking suboxone can u take methadone within the next 24 hours.. would it have the same affect as feeling like I was going to die from taking suboxone too soon after taking methadone.. because i really dont want to feel that way again... Any help on answering my question would be much appreciated. thanks
Hi - this is an old thread so you many not get many responses. You could always post a new question if you'd like. You will not get sick if you take a methadone. Suboxone is an opiate blocker so you likely won't feel any of the effects of the methadone, but it will not make you sick. Suboxone has a long half life, about 36-72 hours, so you may not feel the full effects of the methadone until a couple days after your sub dose. You didn't mention why you were going from sub to methadone?
could someone help whos on subutex i'm on 16mg aday and i've been on these subutex for 6years now and i'm going into a hospital detox for 14days or 21days not sure think it's 14 days and i'm scared

what do i expect with withdraws because from what i've read it's gonna be alot more tuff than i originally thought

just send me a message on here to my profile as if i write my email i'm sure these guys will cover it up

i'll try

shelly_swanzy***@****
You have to be in complete withdrawal, effect before starting Suboxone>>>>VIP<<<<<  Minimum  18 to 24 hours or it will give a rebound effect and put you in immediate withdrawal.  

Wait as long as possible... Take a day off a lay in bed, watch movies,  don't take the Suboxone until (you will know)... My doctor said 18 hours minimum but as close to the 24 hour window,  the safer... Message me with any questions.... And, GOOD LUCK!
Hello Everyone,
    I was not going to write but I figure I may help someone if I do.  I went to detox four years ago (family forced) and I was only on suboxone for the 8 days I was in there.  They sent me home with xanaflex and seroquel and I stop those after about two months I stayed clean for 14 months.  Then I got back with my ex and he talked me into going back to the doctor and getting me script of 180 (80mg) oxys and 145 (30) mg roxys every 30 days.  Needless to say I snorted one almost before I got to the car at the pharmacy and within 2 months I was shooting up again.  That many pills only lasted the two of us 6 or 7 days every month, then for 3 weeks I spent every penny I had pawned everything I had and lived within four walls.  I was either spending every penny or sick as a dog daily.   My 20 year old diabetic daughter is 7 months pregnant and I finally woke up and put myself back in the detox that I went to before.  They started me on suboxone my second day and I didn't want to take it but the doctor told me I needed it and he was right.  I only stayed in there five days this time and the suboxone keeps you so comfortable the withdrawals are not bad at all, and they also make the cravings go away.  Of course I am an addict and part of me is trying to talk me in to using but I do not want to go back to that hell.  I am living again already.  I laugh again and I rode four wheelers with my niece and nephew today and had a better time than I had shooting up oxycontin.  And most important I have my first grandchild due in 2 months and I am determined to be clean for him.  I wish you all the courage and strength to stop.  May God Bless Each and Every One!!!
What happens if you take opiates while on suboxone??? The suboxone is not working so I took a few hits of heroin. I want to feel good on the sub. Help!!
I was on 45 mg of methodone. I was off of it and back on heroin for 3 days when I switched to suboxone. I took 2 mg about 10 hours after I was high when w/d began. 1 hour later I took another 2mg, I was getting sick and repeated this the  next hou.  
I feel really bad. I have full w/d so I took a few hits of heroin but it didn't stop the w/d. How do I get back on the sub. And not feel bad. What did I do wrong? Can i be clean from opiates within a week? Can I pass a drug test while on suboxone??? Please help. My doctor failed me. Help
just started soboxone this morning last used yesterday no support just myself dont want anyone to know glad i seen what you wrote worrying less thanks hope i make it
Hi I have read some posts about suboxone and am really scard to start it! I was on 3 or 4 MS Contin (100 MGs) per day so anywhere from 300 to 400 mgs a day, if I could I would occasionally do more when possible, that being said I finally decided after 10 years of using its time to quit! Went to my pain specialist and asked how to quit without experiencing to much w/d She put me on Kadian 20mgs and said take 7 pills twice a day, that works out to 280 MSG per day nonetheless I tried and of course experienced some withdrawal symptoms, I have to be on the Kadians for awhile to get my dose down, then she plans on giving me Suboxone! I'm scard! Questions!!! How much of a dose should I be on of the Kadians before I get on the Subs? And how long should I stay on it for? And will I go through w/d from the Subox......
good luck my sister died from oxy 2 weeks after her 42nd birthday just 1 pill too many just 6 day before xmas our family is still shattered so kee trying your r more important than you realize- wish we knew about this solution, really do
Hello I am starting the Suboxone treatment tomorrow and was wondering if it would be ok to take my Diazapam to sleep tonight
gregory12172, i was just realeased today from detox. I am an opiate addict. I was started on methadone 5 days ago. Tomorrow i am going to be started on Suboxen. I just took a small amount of fentynal so i will stop having withdrawals tonight. While in detox i was last dosed 3 days ago of methadone. I know in the past i have taken suboxen after taking percoets in the same day and got really sick. I'm wondering if you would know if i will go through withdrawls when i start the suboxen tomorrow? I really truly belive that suboxen and intensive outpatient will be the answer to my sobriety. So if i get thrown into withdrawls from taking the suboxen tomorrow, how long do you suppose i will withdrawl for the suboxen to take over?
I was on methadon. I swith ed to suboxone and took it that day. I was fine. It was not easy but worth it.