Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Benzo Withdrawal Network?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Benzo Withdrawal Network?

Hello - I've been struggling with Lyme disease for about two years (late disseminated, totally curable, just a long/painful process to cure) and in the process of that one of my many doctors got me hooked on Klonopin to alleviate the anxiety and allow me to sleep.

So now I'm hooked on Klonopin, and, just as with Lyme, seemingly about 1% of doctors understand how nasty and prolonged the withdrawal syndrome can be. However, there is a network of doctors who specialize in Lyme treatment (they call themselves Lyme-literate Doctors or LLMDs) and Lyme patients can seek out an LLMD to receive informed treatment and care.

My question is this: is there a Benzo network of any kind? Or anything like it? Or, for that matter, is there any way to find out if an MD, psychiatrist, or neurologist is informed about benzo withdrawal?

Thanks!
there used to be ************ idk if they're still up and running and also a while back they had some weird problems with the site you might want to check into that if you go.

i have withdrawn from Clono and i know it is not pretty.  just try to persevere, since the symptoms will come in waves and then leave completely and then come back and you will think you're going crazy.  stay in the windows time and remember those windows when you are in waves good luck

Google Dr.HeatherAshton...she's the expert.
The site turned your webpage into a bunch of asterisks ;o)

And what was your timeline like? I'm getting the waves/windows thing, or at least I think I am (after battling Lyme I'm never quite sure just how "normal" I feel), with about 3 or 4 days of "yes - it's over" followed by several WEEKS on a psycho-physiological rollercoaster.

At this point I'm three months out, but I hadn't anticipated GABA crossover-whatever so I continued to take Ambien and drink alcohol until about a month ago. Which..... I guess means I effectively stopped only about a month ago? See, this whole thing is maddening, that's why I'd love to find a doctor - in the Salt Lake City area - who knows a thing or two about it :o(
I found Ashton's manual and read everything it had to say about a safe, tapered withdrawal. Which was interesting, but here's where I'm coming from: I, like many people (including most doctors) thought low-dose benzos were harmless to take and harmless to come off of, so I just up and stopped taking mine. What I'd REALLY like to know is whether my ongoing neurological problems are the result of that or of the Lyme I've been tussling with for a while, because they require two very different approaches. And I feel like a question that specific should probably be aimed at a doctor who knows a thing or two about this stuff :o/