Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Benzos vs. Opiates: Which is worse?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Benzos vs. Opiates: Which is worse?

Good Morning Friends!
  I've been doing lots of research regarding my legal Xanax addiction (I'm making good progress BTW)and have found out something interesting. A local Dr. claims he can detox and "cure" any benzo patient within the therapeutic dose range using suboxone. OK, sounds great at first, but wouldn't I be trading one addiction for a potentially worse one? I read ALOT of posts about opiate withdrawl (withdrawal), and while it is not as drawn out as benzo withdrawl (withdrawal), it certainly sounds more painful.
  Also, I have NO history of opiate use (my belief is they should only be used for severe pain or terminal illness) and thus would succumb easily to even a low dose regimen of suboxone. To be benzo free in 7 days would be great, but at what price? I really don't think I should do this. Am now on day 4 at 3.5mg xanax (originally 8mg day for 2 years as of 3 months ago) and I tell you IT IS a hellish withdrawl (withdrawal), but it's manageable. Again, if I wanted to suffer I could complete this in a month, but am choosing the safer route of controlled taper and taking more like 6 months. As mentioned I will be on depakote in addition to the 2mg Klonopin during the 2 week period after my last 0.125mg Xanax dose to make sure I don't have a siezure.
  My respect and concern for all who are kicking ANY drug, whether prescribed or not. Hope all goes well.  Steve

hey there steve.. I am on Suboxone. before I got cleaned. I was also taking xanax among other stuff. I am now on suboxone and I have to say this for myself. I feel 100 percent better now that I am on it. I am also a opiate addict. but suboxone is a life saver for me.  I have no pain. I can think clearly and I'm not getting high on it. you, yourself have to make that decision. we can only tell you what it does for us. Let me know what you are going to do. I wish you the best... my email addy is ***@****. if you feel you need to talk. this is a wonderful sight to be on. there are alot of people here that knows what they are talking a bout, but the ultimate decision is yours to make.. have a good one my friend.. Cody
If you are tapering and having success then there is no reason to add Suboxone to the mix. Just stay on schedule and you will be fine. I happen to be one of those that does condone the use of suboxone for opiate withdrawal, but completely disagree with those who use it as a maintenence drug for any more than 10 days. On that HBO special, they were talking about keeping people on it for years, and some for life. Thats just stupid.
Whats this HBO special. I must have missed it. I too take suboxone, and don't know that I'm strong enuf to tell the doc I want off as it has me feeling normal for a change.I can respect your opinion, but at the same time  hope i'm not on these things indefinately.
Hi again...ummm, I don't think I want to play with fire. I don't have any chronic pain issues and certainly think pain should be treated humanely and immediately. I'm glad sub is working so well for those with pain and/or opiate issues though. Any other responses would be greatly welcome. BTW how much xanax were you on and for how long? THANKS! Steve
Good day Steve-l hope all is going well today I think that for a doctor to say that is pretty weird only because if you don't have opiate withdrawal why would anyone in their right thinking do it? I am not entirely sure subox has been around long enough for a doctor to make that claim..Sounds like your doing the right thing now  benzos are nothing to be taken lightly when it comes to detox had a seizure behind it myself getting off once luckily I was standing in the post office not driving like I was a few minutes sooner woke up in an ambulance being taken to the hospital. Man was I pi**ed again my doctor had cut me off and said there are no side affects to withdrawals now thats some sick s**t....a-wakan
I have come of of both benzos and opiates and to me benzos are a lot more dangerous. With opiates it's very uncomfortable and depressing but with benzos you could actually die!
No problem I was on ativan 8 mg a day which I did not think was much but was enough for me I guess..I am coming off legal opiate withdrawal right now and thats plenty so you don't want to add that to the mix either..a-wakan
Good day my friend! You mean a Dr. made you cold turkey a benzo?? What an idiot! He deserves to lose his medical license for that! I'm working with my doc in an outpatient setting...and I agree, adding narcotics to my list isn't the best idea when I don't have opiate or pain issues. The best to you. Am wondering...what benzo were you on when you got cut off, how much and for how long? Just curious.:) Steve
I've done both and w'drawn from both.  Benzos are MUCH worse....and life threatening to boot!
hey Steve!!  Im glad you are feeling better.  I havent been on this site in a few days, but Im the one who was asking you about how to taper from xanax, which I have been prescribed for years for severe panic attack disorder.  I read your post on a recomendation you received from a doc about using suboxone for benzo withdraw.  From MY experience (which isnt the final say of course)  I was put on suboxone for a month for pain, and it made my panic attacks worse.  Do you suffer from panic attacks?  I wasnt sure if thats why you take xanax.  The fear I have everytime I try to lower my xanax dose is that my panic attacks intensify...hyperventilation, nu,b hands and feet and face, its the most hellish thing Ive tried to go through.  I have tried antidepressants in the past geared towards anxiety, but they never helped, I stil had panic attacks.  How do you learn to live with panic attacks med free?  Ive had them come on out of the blue, driving down the road where Ive had to call 911.  Im scared this is something Im going to have to take for the rest of my life
DON'T DO IT!!! I HAVE BOTH ADDICTIONS, XANAX FOR SEVEN YEARS AND OPIATES FOR ABOUT SIX MONTHS, IM USING THE OPIATES FOR A CRUTCH, WHEN YOU BRING SUBOXONE INTO THE PICTURE YOU ARE LOOKING A WAY LONGER HALF LIFE, ( LIKE 4 HOURS PER MG) AND IVE HEARD ITS JUST A HARD AS A BENZO ADDICTION. I HAVE BEEN TAKING B COMPLEX AND READING ABOUT THE GAGA CHEM. IN OUR BRAIN BEING DEPLETED BY THESE. WELL B COMPLEX, 5HTP, AND THE ACTUAL GAGA SUPPLEMENT WOULD BE YOUR SAFEST BET AND ALL NATURAL. SINCE YOUR BRAIN ISNT USED TO PRODUCING THIS CHEM ANYMORE CAUSE THE DRUGS TOOK ITS PLACE, WITHDRAW HAPPENS WHEN STOPPING. THAT IS WHY PEOPLE WEEN OFF, SO THE BRAIN CAN KEEP UP AND BASICALLY RE PROGRAM ITSELF TO PRODUCE ALL THESE CHEMS THAT HAVE BEEN COMPENSATED. BEST WISHES, G