Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Benzo's

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Benzo's

I used to abuse xanax. Now I occassionally take klonopin (about 2mg) two to three times a week. This has been going on for 3 years. Am I addicted?
I guess no one has an answer for me
I am so sorry this did not get answered... not sure how it got overlooked...I have not been on much due to an injury.

I really can't answer if you are addicted or not. You may be physically dependent but it is hard to say since you don't take it daily. Does anything happen when you go w/o them?

Again....my apologies this got overlooked... that does not happen often on here.

JoAnn
Thank you so much for answering. No, I don't think I'm physically dependent. I don't have withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms the next day or anything. I just take it when I needed. But because I have a history of abuse, I'm just wondering if this is just a milder version of the former addiction. I can go weeks without them, but when I start getting bad anxiety, I reach for the bottle. Thank you for answering again :)
Well, I don't think it sounds like you are abusing them if you are just taking them for your anxiety attacks and your Dr is rx'ng them to you for that correct?

However, if you are ever taking them on a regular daily basis for awhile you can't quit them cold turkey b/c you could have siezures. (you may know that from the xanax) I have been on 2mg of klonopin for 1 1/2 yrs and the dr NEVER told me how addictive they were or not to quit them cold turkey....but they help with my anxiety and I do not abuse them. That would have just been nice to know when he rx'd them.

I hope I helped you in some way.... you can PM me if you want....
Take Care!
JoAnn
2mg of Klonopin is a high dose. Why don't you just take .5mg and see if that works for your anxiety? As far as, are you dependent on them. Don't take any for 2 weeks and you will know.
Thank you for the responses. I don't feel like I need them all the time. When I do need them though, I take 1 mg at a time, and then that's not enough. I end up taking about 4 mg when i'm REALLY stressed. It'snot every day though. Is that bad?
Are these prescribed by your doctor? If not, it is bad. If they are, talk with your doctor.
Bad seems harsh - scary might be a better word.  The higher your tolerance, the more you use - it is a slippery slope, and a bit of a risk with a fairly addictive drug.  Please be careful.  None of us thought we were going to become addicted when we started using our DOC.
Please take this comment in a way of caring about you and the hells that go along with benzo withdrawal.   You are addicted to klonopin.  Try to not use it for 2 weeks and you will have your answer.  

I really do care or I would not post this.

Chuck
Asking if you are an addict is a good question. Do you attend therapy, or do you get the medication from a general practice doctor?
This is a great place to get advice, lots of real life experience here.
But please see your doctor, and ask him or her the same question. Benzo W/D can kill you. it doesn't sound like that is an issue yet. But it can't hurt to keep asking questions, especially with your doctor.
Good luck to you.
Hi, I am still addicted to Xanax and have tappered by using Klonopin (which I hate as it does not do anything except ween off the w/d-which is good) but Xanax and K are 2 different animals to me.  K has a longer half-life but is actually stronger than Xanax.  So yes, I'm afraid, I personally think you are still addicted to a benzo.  Don't ask me how to kick the habit as I am like you.  I binge.  Sometimes I don't have any, and othertimes I go nuts.  I just want completely off as when I run out, the w/d are so aweful and I put myself through it every month.  

Hope we can be friends.
Cheerios
(also taking sub)
Thanks to everyone for your concern. I think I answered the question myself. I made an appointment with an addictions specialist today.
Best of luck to you with the benzo's. I wish someone had told me how addictive these things were four years ago.
Yeah, it always seems like a quick fix, but everything has penalties associated with it.