Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Best option for opiate detox

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Best option for opiate detox

I have been a sufferer of chronic pain due to two herniated discs, sciatica, and fibromyalgia over the last 14 months.  My pain medication usage started out innocently...  was suffering through pain, and was prescribed Percocet to help.  I started taking more and more, and before I knew it I was physically addicted and using pain medication around the clock.  I justified all this medication usage as needing it for my pain, which was true to an extent, but I surely was using more than I needed.  

Over the last three months or so, I feel as if these pain pills have taken over my life.  Yes, I wake up every single day with pain... so much pain that it's hard to get out of bed.  But I am also a slave to the medication.  I have spent all of my money for that feeling the Percocets give me.  

I decided today that I am done with this.  I have a successful career, but am wasting all the money I make on the pills.  I have so much anxiety every night when I look at my bank account and when I imagine my life stuck on medications.  I am only 25 years old and am already headed down a terrible path that is overwhelming me.  I took the first major step in my recovery... I sat down and told my mother everything.  I am lucky because she is very understanding, and knows a lot about addiction (as we have it in our family already -- an indicator that I shouldn't have been on these in the first place).  

Luckily we have good health insurance, so money is not an issue.  My main question is, what are the best treatment options for me?  Right now I am on a dose of around 150 - 200 mg of oxycodone a day.  I do work a full time job M - F, and do not want anyone to find out about what's going on.  We have made an appointment this Thursday at 9am to meet with our family doctor to go over treatment options. Are there short detox programs of only 3 or 4 days or so that would help me?  Or is suboxone therapy possible to do from home?  I definitely can't go to a full on 30 day rehab or anything... I feel like my main issue is that I'm physically addicted to the pain meds more than mentally.  I take them for pain, I take them because I enjoy them, and I take them because without them I will get withdrawals.  So for someone who has pain medication usage as high as mine, what is the best treatment option in the shortest period of time?  I'm open to going to a detox program as long as it's not something I have to do for a long period of time.  Or I could do outpatient therapy...  

Also, I'd love to hear what some of your experiences are with this.  How long does detox last for?  How long does it take to get the medication fully out of your system?  When do you start to really feel normal again?  What will it be like for me to be at work while I'm going through this?  Any advice would be extremely helpful as I really am just at the beginning of this process...  

I'm probably going to start my detox on the 25th of this month, the day after Thanksgiving.  Then I'll have Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and possibly take Monday and Tuesday off of work.  Then I'd have to be back in the office Wednesday the 23rd.  Doable?
With your health problems I think your best bet rehab.Hopefuly they can help you deal with the pain with out narctics and make it not so bad.Hopefully giving you the tools to deal with the pain .

I also gives you intensive treatment that I think every addict needs.Also make sure if you look into a rehab make sure they give you long term recovery options .
You can get your life back .Right now I know it seems so impossible but its there all you have to do is reach out . Hang in there and let us know how you are doing .
avis
Pretty much everyone that is here has a similar story!!!  Glad you found your way here.  I quit w/o tapering (never could get the hang of that) and it is very doable.  I am drug free over 60 days and am over 60 yrs old (dammit)!  
Here is what worked for me:

I kept telling myself...YOU HAVE the FLU!  It will be over and I will feel so much better.  My brain seemed to get that and settled down a little.  It is hard, but doable!  The Thomas Recipe (bottom of the page under Health Pages will help.  I did not to the tranquilizers and had to cut back on the Ltryosine, but the rest really helped.  Imodium (immodium), Imodium (immodium), Imodium (immodium) (liquid or pills if the liquid can't be found or you can't swallow it) will help.  I took double the dosage for a few days (personal choice) and it helped so much..even with the withdrawals in general and the opiate trots which sucked.  

Hydrate and eat!  Even if it is just a little every hour or so.  You have to eat something to keep your energy up as much as possible.  

If you have Restless legs..it is hit or miss what works.  Walking seemed to help me some.  Hot bath with epsom salts..a little.  I finally had to get my doctor to refill my restless legs meds (non addictive) to get some sleep.  If nothing works,your doctor might help.  

One hour at a time is all anyone can ask.  After 2 weeks it gets a little better and I started to say, One day at a time!  Your brain will do all sorts of things to get you to take a pill.  I found if I was hungry..the cravings got worse.  I would try to eat a banana, a few grapes or a few crackers to get that under control.

Good for you.  I hope all goes well.  You have made a good start coming here....this site has helped me so much!!!  Keep posting!!!!!
good point avisg!
Have you tried torodal (gen. Ketoralac) for pain? Also, lyrica, muscle relaxers like flexerall, or nurontin (gabapentin) have all been proven to help with fibro. I'm not sure what can be mixed, but these are meds you can talk to your doctor about. Good luck, I kno you can do it.