Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Buprenorphine Detox from Methadone - good, bad?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Hi everybody,
i need advice about buprenorphine. does it work to get off methadone? what do you experience when you're on it?
anything would be helpful.  thanks    -cat
i first just asked the question above.. but it's for my boyfriend's detox, and i need some advice about my own actions and decisions.
my boyfriend's long struggle with methadone has taken my emotions for a ride. i've never met anyone that i am so in love with, and so dedicated to. but on this crazy drug rollercoaster i have to use all my strength to keep my own head above water and not let it affect the way i feel about him. lately i have been stressed completely and find myself popping stupid over the counter anything to calm myself down. it's been a drawn-out process, and he and i are sharing in frustrations.
from my perspective, i recognize that i am enabling him to the 'enth degree.  i give everything i can to keep a smile on his face and his spirits up. he is not lacking in appreciation, just output. his addiction has made him lie, pawn my things when he is broke and i am not around. he is so ashamed by his actions.  i admit it's made a part of me bitter and so angry, a part that i try to keep from my heart where i hold him. i try to stifle these feelings, and only be a positive influence around him. i forgive him time and time again.
i have always been an optimist, and this addiction is the only thing that's ever made me come close to feeling helpless and weary.
hope is the only thing that's kept me going. kept my head up.
please let me know your thoughts. this forum is the only thing i have to turn to.
cat
Neither good, nor bad - impossible.  You simply can NOT detox from meth on bupe, I know this both from my doc and my own experience.  The ONLY way to get off meth is to stop using meth for at least 4 weeks using dope during that time.  Try to use as little dope as you can - much easier to kick later.  After 4 weeks you're good to kick dope with bupe - 1ml once a day for 3-4 days ijected under skin, not iv.  Works like a charm - I've done it myself too many times by now, and i'm doing it again right now (i'm in the 3-rd week on dope).  Once you kick dope, wait for 7 days clean and go get yourself a naltroxone pellet - that will prevent you from re-lapsing for 3 months.  Need more info on the pellet - let me know.  Good luck and may G. be with you.
My husband just detoxed from methadone and oxys, and they used phenobarbital, and klonopin (i think), and a mild muscle relaxer for the cramps.  He was off of everything in 5-days.
Your boyfriend needs a good program, preferably a 28-day program that is able to handle methadone addiction, because he can be a tricking one.  If his dose is higher than 40 mg, you will have a hard time finding a rehab that will even take him prior to a hospital visit.
Good luck, and i hope your boyfriend gets this worked out for himself, and you need to think about what is important to YOU in YOUR life!
Lv Jenny
The following describes just what kind of crazy doctor i was dealing with for the 6-months that i went to see him.  I was taking drugs before i went to see him, but he is the kind of doctor that just eggs on addicts, and their addictions!  He gave me an absoluately unimagineable amount of oxys, roxi's and xanax.  Then, he got caught, and left all the addicts he created, to battle the addictions that he helped create!!!  If i had been taking, all along, the amount he was even prescribing me, i would have been one uncomfortable sorry addict!  I was sharing my scripts with my husband :(  and it put us both into a life-fighting struggle to figure out what we were going to do with the big mess we had put overselves in!

http://www.gopbi.com/partners/pbpost/epaper/editions/wednesday/

Unbelieveable!!!
Jenny
click on 'local news' right under the date, and read the first article about the oxy prescribing dr!
This is Wren, again. I am down to my last 2 vicoprofens and I am scared. I am going out of town this weekend with my hubby to meet some friends at the beach. I want to get off of these things sosososo bad. I want to be my old self. I liked myself better - I took care of myself and had a productive life. I like where I was going - the direction my life was taking. I don't too much like it now. I know my husband can tell a difference - he complains that I never want to do anything anymore and that I seem to have lost all motivation, which is true. Please help and give me some advice. I really rely on this forum. I read it everyday.

Wren
please help........I really need someone tonight.
did you guys know the "chat" is working again? does anyone want to get on there - is anyone awake???
I'm sorry i was offline by the time you got on, i'm in eastern time, but still stay up until 1:00 - 2:00 am lately!
I hope you're ok!
Jenny
Hi Wren,
I'm so glad you posted, and am sorry I was not on last night to talk with you, I could have used it too! I've been thinking about you, wondering how you have been doing and hoping for the best.

I can totally relate to how you are feeling.  It continues to be a struggle for me as well, though I've had to come to terms with the fact that for the time being I do still need the meds for pain. I'm trying to stay in integrity with myself, and take only what treats the pain, not one pill more.

I want to share something that has really helped me, that I learned on this forum.  I've been taking huge ammounts of the Zinc/Mangnesium supplements that a poster named pillpoppa recommended. I was not sure if it was working. But, now that I've been taking them over a week, I think they are. Yesterday, I took a dose of vicoprofen at 3pm. At bedtime, I was not in pain, so I choose to skip the night dose. It was 8 hours since my last dose by then, I was surprised I was not in withdrawal..pre zinc, I would have withdrawals around 6 or 7 hours after my last dose. I slept through the night, and was not even feeling withdrawals when I got up at 8am.  The only thing that I've done differently is the zinc. Lots of it. Give it a try...it can't hurt. I think it is most helpful when you are on it for a week or so first.

Hang in there Wren, I need you as much as you need us! It helps me beyond words to know that you, Jenny, and everyone else is dealing with the same struggles.  

lots of love,
WW
.............TGIF!!!!!...... Don't know about you guys, but i'm sure glad its Friday!!!!!!!!
......Not sure if you caught it,but I had a couple of post for you at the bottom of the: "where did the Ultram thread go?"....LOL  Hope your well.....
Love,
Angelica  :o}
Hey Wren,

I know how you feel.  Today I ran out of my percocet and called my doctor and he refilled it.  Gave me 7.5/500.  I didn't even know that percocet came in that strength but from what I understand ther is also a 2.5...5...7.5...10.   One doctor wrote me a prescription fo 60-10/650 percocets.  At the time I was so happy and it felt like I would never run out.  I start to get anxious, depressed, and scared when I run out.  I start to get desperate and start calling old doctors trying to make appointments so they can give me more.  It usually works.  I am not proud of this.  Everytime I run out I think of quitting but the withdrawl (withdrawal) get soooo bad.  I did detox before...they gave me buprenorphine.  I don't recomend buprenorphine because ot has nalaxone in it, so it wont get you high (at least thats what the nurse said),  The problem with the nalaxone is that it pulls the opiates off the receptor sites putting you into instant withdrawl (withdrawal).  It made me very sick!!  From my personal experience this is what I would do.  DO NOT try and go cold turkey.  Also I recomend against tappering.  The reason why is because, at least for me, that I don't taper off them...I keep sneaking the pills.  I have no self control when it comes to percocets (in your case Vicoprofen).  What you should do is come clean with your doctor.  Tell him whats going on.  DO NOT feel ashamed by telling him about your addiction.  Doctors have heard it all.  A doctors job is to treat diseases and addiction is a disease.  Ask him about Darvon.  It is an opiate but it is a very mild opiate.  Also take Clonodine for the skin crawling feeling and the aching you feel.  Problem with clonodine is that it will make you very cold and you will feel "drugged".  Also you will feel very tired...which isn't bad because when you detox you will have trouble sleeping.  Your doctor may give you Ativan or Valium to take as well.  The problem with that is that you don't want to give an addict another controlled substance.  The last thing you want to do is trade one addiction for another.  If you are going to be away (like the beach) and not able to detox I would say to continue with the vicodin.  The only reason why I say this is because you don't want to get sick on vacation and spend the night in the ER.  When you get back make an honest effort to try and get off them.

I am in your shoes too.  I desperately want to get off of them but it is soooo hard.  You are headed into the right direction by wanting to quit.  Believe when I say that detox is the easy part...staying off of it is the hardest part.  I've been battling with this for a while.  Try to get your husband's support.  Tell him your goals and tell him it would mean alot to you if he stood by you.  let me know how you are doing.  I hope we beat this thing!!!   You can e-mail me anytime at:  ***@****.  Good Luck!!

Tyler
Hi Angelica,
Yes, I did see your posts, and I'm sorry I'm only responding now...

I went to the website and read your story...woa! You have been through hell and back, to say the least! I think I have a glimmer of understanding by what you mean when you say you are a proof of a miracle.  How did you end up with all those broken bones?  Are you better now?

I really took to heart what you, Wizard, and JB said to me about taking the medication if the pain is real and strong. It is real, and it indeed is strong. No doubt about that.  Where I continue to need help is in maintaining my ability to only take what I need for the pain, rather than taking 2 or 3 extra to chase a high. I've been doing ok the past few days, but every time I need to take my dose, I face the temptation to take more. Every single time.  I really wish that I didn't have pain, though I know no matter what it would be hard to stop.

Angelica, have you had to struggle with the psychological addcition part of all this? If so, how did you handle the need for the pain relief as well as the need to be free of the desire to get high and the psychological addiction?

Thanks for your support..I so need it, and will never forget the kindness that you and others are offering!

love,
WW
I wanted to let you all know one thing that I've started to do in order to help me fight the urge to take more of the pain meds than I am supposed to ...

I've been logging on to the forum when it is time for me to take my meds, and I take them while I'm reading it.  This does help me to stay true to my desire to only use what I need for the pain.

Thank you all..I'm doing this five hours at a time LOL  I know that if I slip, that does not make me a horrible person, but I try to just stay in the moment rather than worry about what I might do in another five hours.

love,
WW

I also noticed that since I started reading and posting on this forum I haven't been taking as much pain medicine as I use to.  I would take a couple percocets (my drug of choice) and after about two and a half hours they would wear off.  I didn't want to take another couple because I didn't want to overdose.  But every four hours I would be popping more.  I would do stuff to keep me occupied between dosings.  Now I can honestly say that I go about 6 hours between dosing which is a huge accomplishment for me.  Talking to people and reading their stories on this forum does help with the cravings.  That is why I like this forum the best of all the others on the web.  The reason is because everyone in this forum is honest.  Other forums I would read people's stories about going through great lenghts to get the drugs and say they are not addicts.  I'm glad I could find a web site where people are honest and want to help others.  I remember going to a drug program every morning for three hours and people would have the nerve to ask me for drugs.  I remember this girl asked me what my addiction was and I told her about the percocet and she asked if I had any on me.  When other people in the group found out that I was studying to go to med school they would ask me all these questions about what was the best way to get high because they new I had taken several pharmacology courses and chemistry classes.  It made me angry.  I'm glad to see that here people are serious and want help...not just comming here because the court ordered them to go there (like my other meetings).  I hope I'm not rambling...its late...and I need to go to bed.  

Just wanted to say thanks to you and everyone out there who have helped me realize I am not alone in this battle.  Thanks again.

Tyler
Chronic pain and long-term addiction treatment - how can they really be seperated? I'm an ex-addict long term MMT patient who is also a chronic pain patient - does that mean I have to always be treated like a "junkie" the rest of my life? That's what it amounts to if I'm forced to get methadone at a methadone clinic, because that's how they treat you. Since I'm a pain patient now, I could get buprenorphine to treat pain - I think (Dr. Steve?), since bupe' formulations are available for treating pain, but even though it's now been approved for treating addiction no specific formulation of it has yet to be approved for treating "addiction" (?!). I wonder if switching to bupe' from 'done at the pain clinic will make it easier to titrate my dose down to zero? I'm hoping to get off of methadone using my medical marijuana, and maybe transferring my treatment to bupe' would make it easier to do that? Doctors first have to be licensed to treat addiction before prescribing bupe', and even then they don't have an "approved" formulation of bupe' to prescribe for addiction yet, but it's already available for treating pain so I should be able to get it for that. Sometimes I feel like pulling my hair out of my head because of the illogical "drug" polices our government forces on us - they are making my doctor give me oxycontin now instead of methadone, since he isn't a pain specialist - insanity! If I do switch to buprenorphine from methadone at the pain clinic, I'll let ya'll know if it works. I know many other "pain" patients who are struggling to get off of opioids are really fighting their metabolic disorder/opioid dependence rather than the pain they originally had the opioid prescribed for. For those people wanting to get off of opioids, perhaps switching to buprenorphine is a better choice than methadone? I wonder what Dr. Steve thinks??
I just saw Dr. Steve's reply above (second from top). My understanding is that buprenorphine is available for treating pain already (and it's only a "schedule V" controlled substance), and it has been approved for treating addiction but the problem is there still isn't a formulation available that is approved by the FDA for treating "addiction". In other words, the formulations that are already available for treating pain aren't allowed for treating addiction even if the doctor is a licensed addiction specialist - does that make sense? Is the FDA is getting out of the business of regulating methadone later this year (September?), and if that's true, how will it effect my doctors right to prescribe methadone? I'd appreciate it if Dr. Steve (or anyone) would research that one, because there are a lot of doctors out there who want to prescribe methadone but are afraid of being persecuted like my doctor was (a threatening letter from the "authorities" is all it takes to scare a doctor out of prescribing methdone). Will doctors who aren't pain specialists be able to prescribe methadone for treating pain after the FDA stops regulating it, or will they still have to become licensed to treat addiction first in order to prescribe it (I can be an addiction patient too)? In my case, even though I'm also a pain patient my doctor was told he couldn't prescribe methdone long-term for anyone since he isn't a pain specialist - will that be changing?
.....See, thats the downside of this whole ordeal.  Its sort of a bitter sweet situation.  I struggled w/ this decision.  First I had the task of locating a doctor that would even prescribe.  They are being put in jail.....where I live.  So, that in itself was difficult.  I've only had my computer for one year.....after that I began searching for info.  I stumbled across this site, and met Thomas, CIn, Brighty and JB.  My original arguement was: how does anyone find a doctor to prescribe enough medication to where someone can take as many as 30 or more pills per day.  I could recall going to the ER on one occasion and being sent home w/ a shabby diagnosis and a bottle of 10 pain pills, and that was to last me untill I got into to see an orthopedist a month or so later.  Come to find out, I had some serious problems.....I walked on this leg for one year, before I found a doctor to tackle the problem....I suffered that whole year.  I was in a mva in '92, and did very well following, but problems started to arrise, which initiated several surgeries, starting in '96, I was to the point where I couldn't stand it anymore.  So, when I found this pain spec. who was willing to treat me for pain(recently), I had to make a major decision, and Thomas and CIn...were big helps in that.  I knew and understood that once I accepted this route...I would be dependant on this medication.  This decision did not come easy for me.  You would have to know me and my situation personally to get the full understanding.  Ya see, my situation is going to progress to the point where I will probably be in a wheel chair.  I have arthritis.....from so many fractures and broken bones, that by the time I reach 40..... it will be really bad.  The degenerative arthritis that I have, usually is not prevelant till someone is in their latter 60s....(get the picture?)  the onset of this arthritis is very premature......  So, I like a heart patient, or diabetic.....will need this medication to live a half decent life.  I also need a hip replacement, but doctors don't want to consider that till I'm in my latter 50s..... Everyones situation is different where chronic pain is concerned, but we should at least be allowed/free to decide what route is best for us.... in some States, patients are not so lucky.  Didn't mean to write a book again, and I'm sure my fellow forum pals have heard enough of this from me....LOL  I just wanted to give you the whole picture the best I could....  Feel free to ask me any questions....I know what your going through.
LOVE,
Angelica
W.W....not sure if you read this while you were visiting that site:
"In the beginning, and for thousands of years, the entire point of "Medicine" had been to relieve suffering for human kind. Near the end of the 20th Century however, right when science had learned new ways to extract "narcotics" from plants to make them last longer and become more effective, their control was taken away from
I successfully switched from methadone to suboxone

If you are going to switch from methadone to suboxone, you MUST stop your methadone doses for 3 or so days before taking the suboxone. If you take suboxone while an opiate is in your system it will put you into serious withdrawals. Mehtadone has a huge halflife (at least 72 hours) so this is why you must wait 3 days.

I was on methadone for about a year at 80mg. I went from 80mg to 0mg and entered a 60 day inpatient rehab. This is where I learned that taking suboxone too early will throw you into withdrawal. The Dr. had to wait until I was in full blown withdrawal from the methadone before he satred me on suboxone. It was 3 and a half days of hell. Finaly I was givin 8mg of suboxone and most of my withdrawal symptoms were gone in 10 minutes. Over the next 4 days my dose was increased to 16mg of suboxone 2 times a day. And at that point I felt no withdrawal symptoms at all. I felt great all day long every day.

Over the next 2 1/2 months my dose was gradually lowered to 0mg. Dropping from 16 twice daily, to 12 twice daily, to 8 twice daily, to 8 once daily, to 4 once daily, and finaly to zero. I experieced some minor withdrawals after I went from 4 to zero. They wern't all that bad and they lasted about a week.

I would have to say that my detox went very smoothly. I was very dope sick for the first 4 days after stopping methadone but after my suboxone kicked I felt great. If anyone is planning on switching from methadone to suboxone, I would recommend getting your methadone dose down as low as possible. Around 30mg would be best.

Hope this helps someone.
Hi.. My question for anyon e who now how I can swich from be on 40 mg. of methodone to use Temgesic(Buprenorphine) 0.2 mg subligual tablets.
Please give me adviser if its going to work or not.
Thank you.
my mother has been addicted to pain pills for the last 20 yrs. we have had so many crisis times its not even funny. about a year ago she started on methadone, they have her at 210mg. I have been dealing with her for this last year and I can't do it anymore financially, mentally or physically. I live in Tucson Az and I have been trying to find an inpatient rehab for to go into but they all say they wont take anyone on more than 15 mg. I am at my witts end. I don't know what to do with her. She also takes vicodin and percocet when she can. I know she is in pain but this can't go on. Any suggestions on how someone taking that much can ever stop or where to get help?  Thanx Charlotte
I am glad you asked that question, cause I was wondering the same thing. I am on 180 mgs. of methadone a day. I know thats also a huge dose. I'd like to try to get off the stuff by taking suboxone. I was wondering if I go cold turkey for 3 days off the 180, would I be able to take the sub after those 3 days? or would I have to taper down to like 30 mgs. first? thanks everyone, Tammy
..all I know is that the VA is set against bupes even for getting off Methadone.  However, IF you are willing to wean off them (speaking about Ativan, specifically) as you go through the misery of withdrawal, mostly for PANIC ATTACKs, it would seem a decent evolution.  I am not a physician, but I have seen my son through the most miserable withdrawal possible.  He is now able to control his dose of Ativan and hoping to drop it entirely verrrrry soon.  Nothing is easy.  Nothing is impossible when it comes to living an opiate "clean" (I hate that word) rather, FREE life.  The less pills you need to take the better, but go slowly and trust your higher Self.  You CAN succeed.  Sparkle Plenty
Yes you have to taper down to 20mgs of methodone b4 switching... otherwise the Sub will not be enough to fill your receptors.. and you will have withdrawl (withdrawal)
all i can say about that is if you are going to do it MAKE SURE you dont take anymore (regularly) than 20mg. of methadone daily(i would also make sure you are on 20mg for at least 2-3 weeks before switching) and wait AS LONG AS YOU CAN after your last dose of methadone before you take your first dose of suboxone or subutex. i waited almost 5 full days between the 2 and still got severly sick for almost 4 full days, and the withdrawals were ten times worse than if you went cold turkey, i am not trying to scare you, its just a fact that is alot harder to switch from methadone than any other opiod.  my suboxone doctor told me in the future she will prescribe a shorter acting opiod to her methadone patients before they switch to suboxone. and i have been on suboxone for 9 weeks now and still dont feel right or good, so it is a definate commitment and probably worth it in the end if you have the option available to you...best of luck and if you have any questions, let me know.
I'm totally new here for the first time.  I find all of your stories painfully real.  I had my "terrible" appointment at the doctor today where he told me that he discovered that I had filled other prescriptions and thus had voided our "pain" contract and that he won't treat me anymore. I never really liked him at all, but where I live there aren't too many pain docs.  He is/was treating me with Methadone 30mg day, and Darvocet, and Opana, along with Neurontin too.  I am there for chronic daily headaches, sometimes migraine.  He only offered that new Suboxone and is giving me only TWO days to decide if I want to take it and do therapy, or go cold turkey.  He won't tell me the best way to wean off of the drug, Methadone.  I only have like 15 10mg pills left and he won't fill anymore.  So, does anyone think I can just instead take it twice a day for say 5 days, and then once a day for the last 5 days?  I still have one of his scripts for Opana I guess if I get in a real bind, or I may be able to get some Vicoprofen, but I guess that would ruin the point of getting off of the meds right?  It honestly scares me to death, because I just know the headaches are going to come and hit me full force, and then what can I do?  That's the main reason I take the medications, of course to be honest I take too much of the Darvocet, but not the Methadone.  I haven't had Darvocet in prob 10 days, which is good for me!  I've had Ultracet, which you may know is just Ultram with Tylenol, but it helps some headaches sometimes, if I'm really lucky:-)  After reading everything above about getting off Methadone I'm scared.  I'm not on as high of a dose as some, but I don't want to take the other drug, one reason is the whole "rehab" thing, I don't want to have to go to therapy(been there before) and I don't know if they make you go to meetings or not, I'm just not that vocal.  I know I cannot control myself with a full bottle of pain medication, except Methadone.  But, I'm not buying it off the street, or doctor seeking(though I have before), so I am just hoping that I can kick this thing by myself getting off the Methadone.  If I've done ok without the Darvocet, then that's one down, one major one to go right?  Should I be scared, because of my dose, or is my plan okay?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I just don't know what to tell my doctor, he wants to know by Thursday, and it's basically now Wed.  He's on their website,  you know that must mean he's prob getting a kickback from it.  He's such a jerk!  Has no compassion, not one little ounce.  I'm in the medical field and take way better care of patients and their needs then he has ever shown to me, but then he told me today, that he was always suspicious of me? Why I don't know, I'm guessing because I've tried so many different pain medications.  Trust me, as far as legal drugs go, and anything for Migraines, I've just about got them covered!  It's sad.  I've been battling this headache **** for 31 years.  Sucks!  Hope you guys don't think I'm some sort of nut case that clearly has a drug problem and needs to be committed.  I may have the problem, but I think if I could get off the Methadone and not die from that, I may be better off, and that's what I guess I need to hang on to.  I just can't imagine going through withdrawals again.  Maybe tapering off will work for me? Oh yea, and I also just may need to be committed, I think my husband would prob agree to that:-))

Any help or advice to getting off of Methadone would be appreciated!!  I only took two today, so it's a start, I hope.  Thanks everyone for sharing your stories, they have in some instances made me scared and in some brought some peace.  And it's just nice being somewhere and reading stories that are similar to my own, where I dont' think I will be judged.  That's all any of us can ask for besides just help right?

Thanks to all!!!
i would take your doctors offer to go on suboxone...methadone withdrawals can last for weeks, i have even heard someone say 56 days off methadone and still sick, its the hardest drug to stop, the withdrawals are ten times as bad and ten times as long...i switched from 20 mg methadone habit to suboxone was only really sick for 3-4 days...but you have to stop taking methadone for at least 48 hours they say  (i waited 5 days from my last dose of meth before my first dose of sub) and was immediatly put into preciptated withdrawals ...really bad first day and just bad for 3 more...but nothing like cold turkey... go to www.suboxone.com   research it,  it sounds to me you have no other options at this point...if your doc is done giving you scripts...you cannot get high on sub, you cannot abuse it, it just keeps you from being sick...and you should be in counseling...anyone who has an addiction problem should be in some type of therapy or the problem will never get resolved..it will only come back to haunt you....i am here if you have any questions...
Thanks for your advice.  It honestly scares me terribly!  I really want to tackle this on my own if possible and avoid the whole "recovery" thing, and it being on my insurance where people will actually know about it.  You know what I mean?  I'm looking for work in the medical field, and I'm maybe overly afraid that someone will see that I've sought treatment for this and they won't even consider me.  I know it's not what is legal, but people make those kind of choices every day, and I need a job!  I've only been on Methadone since sometime in April, and like I said 30mg a day, and since yesterday I've only taken 20mg a day, and so far I cannot tell a difference, I'm hoping that's good, I'm not sure if I'm suppose to notice yet or not.  I was thinking of cutting it by one half a pill either tomorrow or the next day depending on how I feel.  I just don't get why my jerk of a doctor is giving me a timeline to make up my mind.  I've been doing a good bit better as far as my "cravings" are concerned.  I've been out of Darvocet, and anything other than Methadone for prob 10-14 days, which is long for me, without trying to call someone for a script. I do have two prescriptions for Opana, but haven't filled them, and don't intend on it.  I'm just so worried that getting off of this drug is going to put me in a tailspin as far as my headaches are concerned, and that's why I started it in the first place.  I have some Duragesic patch's too, but I don't think mixing them together would be smart.

Do you think I can have any chance of doing this on my own slow as I can with like 12 pills (10mg) left?  I just cannot go through major withdrawals, I am at a temp job right now that I would like to keep and I'm new there, and I've been through it before after not having Vicodin after being on it for awhile, so I don't want to do it again.  I just wonder if the fact that I've only been on it maybe 4 months gives me a chance?  I am scared!

Thanks for all advice to you and anyone else.
You don't feel the 10mg cut down because of methodone really long half life.. It take a few days to feel if you have cut your dose down.. At methodone clinice they taper people down 1-2mgs a week or 5mgs a month.. YOu also don't feel the Darvoset being cut out because you are still on methodone.
I would not worry about the rebound headaches as much as the withdrawls you are gonna face.. I would also take your doctor up on his offer to do Sub treatment. Even with a taper you will have lingering withdrawls from the methodone that could disrupt your life for weeks or a month.
Methodone is a very strong med and has a very long half life.. YOu will have some withdrawls no matter what. It is up to you if you want it to be somewhat controlled by taking your doctors offer.. or try to do it yourself..
The fact that you said you would like to avoid the whole "recovery" thing is not such a good sign right now.. You are not gonna have the best success getting off these meds if you are not willing to.
I wish you the best and I hope this site can help you.. You have alot of thinking to do..

Stephanie
Day 63 off of pills
i am sorry to say that if you do it alone it will be extremely hard, i always failed...and as far as it being on your insurance, its nobodys business and illegal to give out anyones medical records. you dont have to suffer this way by doing it alone. you havent suffered until you have had methadone withdrawals, they are the worst and can last for weeks and you will be praying for 1 of your headaches to make the meth WDs go away....i take suboxone and go to weekly therapy, just me and the therapist, no meetings...that was optional and i went to a few, but wasnt for me.  if you truly want to be done with these pills then you have to do things the right way...therapy is a must, honesty is a must with yourself first and anyone else second,and you have to have a plan and stick to it...there is no way you can go to work while suffering methadone WDs...do you have any family or friends that you trust to help you through this?  keep us posted....
I'm about to run to work, but wanted to post something quickly.  You've both given me a lot to think about.  I'm just so scared!  I wasn't saying that I don't want to be in therapy per say.  I've been in therapy before, and actually my therapist knows that I do take too many pills and what I take, and that whole issue with me.  So, honesty there is not the issue.  I guess I was afraid that I would have to do some group thing in therapy, or I know I would have to go to a new therapist :-(  And I just also don't think meetings are my kind of thing.  I'm a little shy about getting up in public, yet alone talking about my problem, and yes I do admit I have a problem with it.  I was just so hopeful that I could kick it myself.  But, I never really thought about the half life issue of the drug, so I figured since I'm feeling okay now, that it would stay that way.  I've only been taking it either 90-120 days, that's why I thought I had a running chance.  But, what you say scares the **** out of me.  I can't lose this temp job by calling in sick with WD's.  And like you said, it wouldn't just be one day.  Gotta go to work.  Talk more later.  Thanks everyone!!!!  Means a lot having someone to talk to me, that understands unlike my doctor who wants to condemn me!
Hey, it's me again.  Today I started feeling what might be the beginning of bad stuff :-0 I started feeling feverish and was a bit nauseated, but not too bad.  Right now I must be running a mild fever or something because I'm just cold, so I'm taking advil.  I read somewhere, I'm not sure if it was here or not, that Klonipin (klonopin) might help with some of the symptoms.  I just got my prescription that I've had for awhile, filled.  I don't think it could hurt, I've taken it before occasionally for anxiety.  I am nervous.  I cannot take off of work!!  I took only 5mg today twice, and I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do tomorrow.  I've been writing to a David Arneson who I found on the net, he's suppose to be an expert of some sort of detox off of Methadone.   Anyone heard of him?  He seems really nice, and responds via email really quickly.  Of course, I think he wants to sell his detoxying products, but I'm not buying.

Hope everyone else is doing well.  I still am holding out a little hope that I can do this on my own.  It's really the only choice I have.  My doctor said I only had until Thursday to tell him if I wanted to try the Suboxone, and I got busy and wasn't sure, so didn't call.  They're closed on Fridays.  So, I guess I am on my own, hopefully with a little support here?
Of course you will have support here...  I would still try and call the doctor anyway.. tell him you were still thinking and if the offer is still open.. Feeling feverish sweats/chills is one of the beginning stages of withdrawls.. really common with tapering.. along with diarreah (diarrhea).. I have heard of that guy I have posted some of his stuff here acually.. you don't have to buy his stuff I can look up the list and you can get it a GNC its cheap there... I did a similiar think when I quit.. I followed an amino acid program for pain pill addiction.. It worked really well for me and several others.. Worth trying for sure.
Usuallly its clonidine not klonipin (klonopin) that is helpful with detox... you can take the klonipin (klonopin) but be very careful that is also highly addicting... clonidine is a blood pressure med that helps with alot of withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms.. maybe if you call your doc he will give you some of that... You really should take some help from him if he will give it... some "comfort" meds will come in handy... This is gonna be very hard to do on your own...YOu will need to taper very slowly.. dropping only 1-2 mgs at a time to do it without the pain that comes with methodone withdrawls..also if you have any health problems the detox on your own can be dangerous... so think about your options.. cause even with a taper.. you are not gonna be able to go to work everyday through this... its not possible.. just being realistic..
If you need anything.. post.. or email me if you need to.. click on my screen name (its blue) my email address is in my profile..

XOXO
Stephanie
Day 65 as of midnight Whoo HOo
It's been 24+ hours without Methadone, and I'm alive without doing too bad.  I feel just a bit cold and feverish, but not as bad as on the tapering of the drug, so I'm still a little hopeful.  I know that may be totally clueless but what can I say?  I've been taking vitamins, and kinda watching what I eat, but I haven't been all that hungry anyway.

Please hope for the best for me.
I am fighting the odds & on day 3 off of 115mg 'done and i feel ok with no w/d ----- yet. I have been on 'done for 6 mos and up to 200mg and just tired of the game and tired of being tired. I was visiting a few to many doc's back 6 mo's ago for lortab and got caught so it was off to the 'done clinic since than. So whatever the reason you have to do this, you can do it and just stick here for some great support from caring people. I found this site last week and i have read enough that i want to be on the winning side of this disease so hang in there.
Thanks for your words of encouragement!  And I hope you continue to do well!  It sounds like you are doing great so far, and that encourages me that maybe I can make it through this without too many symptoms.  So, you haven't had any symptoms at all?  I've felt feverish a good bit and a bit tired, but hopefully when I go back to work tomorrow, I'll be ok to work.  I understand being "caught" and seeing too many docs, I've been there before, and am completly ready to quit.  I haven't had any Methadone for 36 hours +, and I'm hopeful.  I wish you the best of luck!!! Maybe I'll see you here again :-)
Keep it up girl.. Keep me posted on how you are doing.. I am off tommorrow (monday) but have some appt to go to.. I will be on when i am not out at the doc or my massage treatment..
Tommorrow is when the stuff will hit the fan.. Stay strong..

XOXO
Stephanie
Officially 67 days
  I hope you fine this and let us know how you are coping with another day without your 'done.
Maybe you can start a new post and title because we are posting  from a 2001 post. From everything i have read it's not normal and not safe to c/t off 'done so keep sharing how you are doing so these folks can help you through it. I am on day 4 off 'done and feeling good but i said in another post i would not talk about it any more because that might be a false hope for someone and the norm is to be sick coming off 'done. I have to go to the clinic today & tell them about not taking my 'done so this should be interesting what they will say. You have to let your doc know what you want to do and decide on Suboxone, it might be what you need for now. You seem to be holding out pretty well & i would like to know how things turn out for you as well as others here i'm sure. So please start a new post and let us know how your feeling, you will get more feedback from a new post.
I pretty much tried every sort of detox imaginable. And although I had to detox from Oxy Contin, Buprenprhine seemed to be the most effective. For me, it was the best way to go and I lasted the longest from relapse. I was clean for more then 2 months before I relapsed, and had I continued with the program, I wouldn't have relapsed. The bup plan I did, was the three shots administered yourself, for three days, then four days with just the meds the dr. gives you for w.d, then on the 7th day clean, I started the naltrexone, orally. If I would have gotten the pellet, I would still be clean. But I chose to do it orally. Did your dr. tell you about Naltrexone? Are you planning on doing that after the bup? What Bup plan does your dr. have you on? For me, it worked and I highly recommend it. It lessens the w.d greatly. While you are on the bup, you will feel great, completely normal again. You will feel like you did before you ever even started the meth or whatever your DOC is. Then after the shots/bup is finished, you will feel some w.d, minor, nothing too major, but the dr. should give you meds to help. Like clonodine, and something for RLS. Then you should start the Naltrexone. The Naltrexone will eliminate any remaining opiates from your system, brain and body. Its more of a rapid detox, then you are clean after 7 days, completely clean, so the choice is yours on whether or not to stay clean. The pellet, is injected in the arm, or leg, I think, I know its def the arm. And it releases Naltrexone into your body on a daily basis, once it is placed in the arm, you cannot take any opiates at all. You will feel nothing. There are different pellets that last 2 or 3 or 4 months at a time. You can also take Naltrexone orally, once a day, and this will also eliminate any euohoria from opiates. I chose to take it orally and it worked for a while. Then I stopped taking the Naltrexone after one month and I felt great. I stayed clean for another month, then relapsed. I am now starting my detox again tomorrow. If you have any questions, please feel free to email or post...

***@****

I had to space it out because we aren't allowed to post our emails on here......

Take care...Lisa
Well, today, it's been like 60 hours without Methadone.  Not that anyone really wants to know, but I'm pretty psyched about it.  I feel pretty normal, for me that is.  I have minor fever feelings, but not as bad as this weekend, so I'm pretty excited.  I still have 9 pills left, but have no intention of taking them, no matter what.  I've gone this long why go back?  I'm personally glad I didn't get on the Suboxone, even tho many people think it's the greatest thing on earth.  I just think trading one opiate for another doesn't make sense.  Maybe it's just me.

It seems like since I started posting, everyone else has stopped, and I hope it isn't because of me!! Maybe I should just stop posting, I mean my life and progress isn't that big of a deal really, and who actually cares?

We care alot honey... I haven't been posting much.. I have been super busy.. Sorry Keep me posted honey we really go want to know how you are making out with your struggle..

XOXO
blondee~I know how you feel when your taking a big step like this, you want to share it and get the at-a-boy's back. Feeling down on your self is normal at this stage and i am going through it right now going c/t off my methadone for the 5th day now. I know you check your posts every min or so looking for something good to read and yes you need that now and i hope more people will support you. There are so many people hurting here and now that you are on your way you can maybe help someone else and that will make you feel good too. You can and will make it and don't let the addiction voice get louder than your voice.  
Thank you for your support.  I feel like I am doing really surprisingly well, and I'm very happy and hopeful.  I haven't had any of that nasty stuff since Saturday morning, and it was a small dose, so I think I'm over the hump.  I hope!!!  Thanks for being so sweet, and caring, it does mean the world to me going through this and not having anyone who understands.  It's amazing how nice someone who doesn't even know you can be!!  Thank you! Take care :-)
Hey, you're right on checking back on this page a lot to see what others are saying and also feeling down on myself.  First for being talked into trying this medication, and second for my problem in general.  I think I am in the home stretch since I haven't had anything since Saturday morning, and it's Tuesday night.  I may be being too hopeful, but I feel okay.  I did feel feverish over the weekend, and a little yesterday, but today was better, so I have to assume that I'm getting over it.  I am so proud of you for being on day 5 from a larger dose than I was.  I think that's great!  Did you have any symptoms at all?  Thank you so much for your great words of advice, maybe I can help someone else in this situation.  I really am glad that I didn't go on that other medication, I think it would have been just another bad situation to get myself out of.  Maybe it's great for some people, I just feel like knowing me, it just isn't the right decision for me, at this time anyway.  By the way, here's an at-a-boy just for you, because you definitly deserve it!!  I think we have done very well, and without help. (except of course everyone here!!)

Hopefully we will have both beat the odds, and that says something, now doesn't it??  I think we should be proud!
Take care, and keep writing and letting me or us know how you are doing, because I care!!!
Good luck to all here with all of our demons. We can do it, we just have to have faith and determination.
Thanks so much for your kind words to me, it just lifts your spirit when your are down or troubled. Going through another detox and w/d is never fun and you want it to be the last, i know i do. You can never say never but i don;t want to go backwards any longer and i'm sure you feel thr same. You said you had just grad from college and maybe with that pressure off, your migraine's may lessen.
I use to get bad migraine's when kid #2 came around and it started getting stressful.  There is a pretty good med that thins the blood or helps move the blood in your head and relieve's the pressure around your head but i can't think of the name off hand. Hope your dealing with what day 4 or 5
i think so it can onlt get better and now just control the mental, why me feelings.  I hope your not getting flooded out there, i'm seeing all the rain in the mid-west. I was born & lived 30 yrs in the big city north of you by Lake Mich and always use to ride my motorcycle down to IN around Crown Point and Bass Lake in my late teens.  Anyway, enjoy your new life and freedom off the **** that was holding you back and just keep using that big brain of yours and you will succeed at whatever you set out to do. I have to go, time to find a new job, o'boy.
Thanks too for your words of wisdom.  It does help when someone else is outthere and is dealing with the same thing, and complety understands.  I never want to do this again, and I can promise that I will never go on Methadone again, that is an evil word, that I should not have considered in the first place, had the doctor not talked me into it.  Jerk!  Yeah, I hope that my migraines will get better, but it's hard to have hope when you've dealth with them since like age 7, but I'm trying.  Today wasn't so special, but all things considered I could be a lot worse!!  I still have done around, but refuse to take it, NEVER again will I go through that stupidity again!!

It has been raining some, but not too bad yet.  Yesterday was pretty bad, but today was just humid.  I'm from Michigan like when I was a kid, long long time ago.  I appreciate the positive words and encouragement because sometimes that's all you've got in the world, it's not like you can just tell the people you work with, "hey I am coming off Methadone".  So, it's nice to know there are people who understand and who care.  Thank you from the very bottom of my heart!!  I mean it !!!!!!
Take care to you and to all who suffer as we do.  I wish all the best.:-)))))
Love to you all!!!
I'm not sure what I meant when I said "I still hav e done around but refuse to take it?" I know it meant I won't take Methadone again but the rest is I guest gibberish sorry, don't have a clue.  I think I meant I have some around the house, but refuse to take it.  That's it.  Sorry for the confusion.  It sounds stupid the way I put it.  I had one drink, and it all goes to my head.  Go figure!!!

Thanks to all supportive!!!
blondee~Your statment made sense to me if that makes sense. Having a real battle coming off the 'done today, all the mental issues hitting at once. Thinking about a new job , living with divorce
with 4 teen age kids and so on. It's so hard to start over. As addict's we live with pain all the time with some real pains and some hyped up to feed our monster. I have been able to handle a level of phys. pain better than i do the mental part. The hard part of this is we keep doing this hurt to our selves over and over. Sorry but not thinking clearly today so i need to stop. I have done the 28 day rehab, out patient AA-NA and it just help so i have to find a way back to some counsiling again. This site does help as i never did anything like this before on line.
Use to go to the Warren Dunes in MI and drive there on Sundays to buy beer in the disco years, you know about the laws than. Keep fighting the good fight and share your feelings and dont allow them to fester inside.
Hey, thanks for all the support you've given to me.  It's been 8 days without Methadone, and for the most part I'm good.  The only major problem is on Thursday night I rolled and flipped my car, and ended up upside down in a ditch.  I was driving while tired, but thought I could make it, and lost control of my car, and I am so happy that nobody else was involved.  But, my beautiful car is totalled and that hurts terribly, even tho it's only a car.  I've only had it since 2006 when I bought it new.  I did fairly well all considering, I've got cuts and bruises all over and a major case of whiplash, which I think part of it has to do with my seatbelt going across my neck.  The ER wouldn't give me anything really for pain, when I actually did need it.  They gave me a couple of shots which didn't work, then sent me home with Flexiril, so I went to a minor emergency clinic and got some Lortab and Valium for the muscle spasms.  So, I guess that's not the best thing for me, but the pain was unbearable!! Of course I did take more than the one pill every 6-8 hours, so I'm out today, but I'm doing a little bit better today.  I just wish I could take back that moment, it was so scary!!  And now my dream car is gone to scrap metal.  

I feel pretty good without the Methadone, but I have also had pain meds through it, so we'll see.  I've got to figure out what type of doctor to go to next for my headaches.  I sure don't want that terrible medication ever again.

Good luck to all of you, it's a hard and difficult journey, but it can be done without having to take that Suboxone, and just get hooked to another drug.  

Thanks again for the support, it means more than anything to me!!
Blondee68
I understand the mental and physical part of this **** we're going through.  I have more of the physical pain than anything else.  Sure, every so often I wish I could take some pills and get that not so high, but fuzzy feeling again.  But, I know that nobody wants to prescribe the stuff anyway. I am worried about my headaches a lot!  But, until I can figure out what type of doctor to try again, I guess I'm just going to take excedrin and the such.  I know it isn't a cure all, but overall my headaches haven't been so bad, until I hit my head while flipping my car.  I'm going back to work tomorrow, so I hope I will be okay.  Just took the last of my small amount of Lortab (20) so, hopefully I'll be okay.

You've been a great support as others have too.  It must be stressful with four teens,  a divorce, and job issues.  I understand some of it.  I am only working as a temp, so my job could go away anytime, even though they say they like me, but can't afford to buy the contract I have with the temp agency.  And I have two teens, one of which turned 19 today and we have had so many problems with him that it would take pages for that story.  He no longer lives with us, and it's a sad story.

But Kudos to you for doing so well.  I can only hope my road to recovery will continue to be good, because I only want to go through this once.  Even though I have been on meds for several years.  This is the only time I've gone cold turkey for the most part.  I'll keep you and everyone else in my thoughts and prayers!

Have a good week, or until we post again.
I've been on meth for about four years now and the clinic is detoxing me 5 mgs. per day. I have wanted to get of this stuff for a while now. I am forced to do it at this point. I have been in a box for four years due to this drug. Everyday it's about getting my dose. Before it was about getting my dope. What has changed? I'll tell you.. now I'm addicted to a legel drug which is much worse than the herion on the street. What we have is a state sactioned drug dealer which holds all the cards in your life. I agree methadone is good for a limited time and dose. Never go above 70 mgs. That is a life choice. I was only using two bags a day and the clinic convinced me to keep going up on my dose. It was one of the worst choices in my life. Now they are detoxing me cuz I spilled the beans about the malpractice I've been subjected too.
I will go through the detox with the help of meds ( clonidine, Klonipin (klonopin), furicicet, xanax, seraqual and any others which might help. I don't want to resort to herion but I know if it gets real bad I might to alieviate the symptoms. I rather not. I don't want bup either. one for another is not sane but neither is going back to dope. I also will smoke weed to alieviate some symptoms ( only high end bud ) I could use some feedback and support.
Hi. Listen, why don't you back to the beginning of this forum and post your own question. You will get a lot more feedback that way.
This thread is from 6 years ago. A lot of people will not recognize it and you may not responses.
Start your own question, tell your story. There are a lot of good folks in here who will help you if they can.

Hope to see you again.
My advice is the same as BonnieAnn, start a new post so everyone can see it and it's not buried on the bottom here. I'll be looking for it.
just wondering if any one out there is trying to get off of opana er? ihave lowered my dose from 60 mi aday to 40ml aday. ive been experiencing leg shakes and some sort of body siezures.severe headaches extreme pain.anyone out there succesful with getting off the opana? ive been taking opana for fives but was previosly on methadone 150 ml a day,was weened off and put on this unbearable opana.every day funtioning is no longer in my life. need advice from some one who has or has had this problem ......rob
I have been addicted to opiates for 8 years, starting with lortab then joining the done clinic,got off the clinic because I went to jail, I was on 150mgs a day for a year at that time. Now I have been steadily taking between 40 and 20 mgs a day for about 5 months and my fiance knows nothing about it and I don't want her to ever know, I am desperate to kick this addiction and now I have something in my life worth staying sober for and even if I didn't for the first time in my life I want to be sober! I despise be dependant on this drug and I truly hate it. My plan was to be put on soboxone cause I thought it was a mircle pill and was easy to come off of but after reading these posts I am scared I would yet again be replacing one drug for another. Am I mistaking and could anyone offer me some much needed insight or suggestions I might not have considered?   Thanks and may God bless!
Try the suboxone, but tell your doc that it is a short term thing.
He will best guide you how to get off.
My DOC was Methadone and suboxone (in Treatment) worked wonders as it does today (I got back on after a relapse for a more long term treatment)
Dear Members,
I read the post about detoxing from meth.  I was hoping you could give me some advice.  I started taking it 2 years ago when i thought i might relapse.  i was taking tylenol with codeine and did a buprenorphine detox with my doctor.  when i began taking it, at the advice of a fellow rehab-er, i was ignorant of the addiction.  yes, i know, it was incredibly naive.  i have never been on more than 10mgs per day, in the morning, and i very much want to detox.  i read your post and was wondering if you would alter your advice due to my low dosage, or if that really doesn't matter.  i am petite at 100 lbs.  i have a doctor i can see for the buprenorphine, but he doesn't know i will need his help again.  i don't take codeine but have heard that is the best way to wean oneself off of methodone.  I would value your advice.  thx, momocnr
MOM this is a very old post copy your post and make a new thread . ohhhh my the put you on sub for a codine addiction ???? How did you end up on the methadone ?
I really feel for you these are two hard core drugs (the methadone and sub).....
I would have to say that Sure anything is possible and it simply comes down to trying to see if you can do it. I have been a Herion Addict and Morphine pills etc, and have now been on the Methadone program for 8 years now, I tried to quit once about 4 years ago and used morphine elson pills (time release beads) and tapered down on those. But when it came down to the crunch your sincerity will tested and your determination. Also I should mention that you are in fact suffering from aches and pains from past injuries or something of this sort, when you start the end withdrawals it may be too much as it was for me and this may be a unfortunate reminder why some people started taking pain meds in the first place. So quitting may be counterproductive. After all most people who have been down this road long enough knows that this life style unfortunately takes its toll and leaves you dependent.

However if you can, take it one day at a time. I am just one person with a point of view and you can take it or shove it.

All I know is that Methadone gave me back my dignity and a place in society to be productive, it is almost impossible to abuse this drug according to restrictions on prescriptions.

Keep you head up.

MasterJedi
I just want everyone to know and understand how evil and unforgiving this drug methadone is. Its origin was from nazi Germany during ww2 .hItler ordered his pharmaceutical scientists to design many new synthetic drugs from pain meds, to stimulants,hallucinogens,truth syrums, etc.   since the allies were shutting down trade routes and bombing pharmaceutical companies they did not have pproduction of opium and therefore were unable to produce those morphine and other ancient opiods that were needed to keep keep his wehrmacht (army) functioning . Thus is how methADONE was created the demonic minds of the nazis we shut up shop on the morphs and the dones ascended from the ashes of the rubble that was left. its common sense what then happened after that this drug spread like while fire once american and allie soldiers discovered the pisitive side of the "medicine".
   I to thought this to be a miracle drug when i first popped one or two ,which eventually led to as many as i could afford 100-200 10mgs a week. 150-300 mgs a day aND still functioning
Subutex not suboxone works great for methadone detox don't let anybody tell you any different I have done it there is hardly any withdrawal trust me it works
   I've been off methadone for about 3 and a have months now and my withdrawal symptoms still haven't gone away. It's not really bad but bad enough that i'm ready to try suboxone. I didn't want to go this route but i'm sick of being sick. It took me about 3 months of hell just to go down from 110 milligrams to 0 after being on methadone for 3 and a have years. I did a very fast withdrawal to get it over with but to my dismay 3 and a half months later i'm still dealing with this. I want to the hospital but they would only give me adivan which did not help at all. Can anyone tell me where to go to get suboxone? I have no money for paid doctor. I need to go back to work. Also 2 times i started to feel like i was better so i went out with friends and had some mixed drinks and both times the withdrawal symptoms came back harder and i felt like i just lost a whole month of withdrawal. I will not drink until i am 100% from now on. Has anyone else had the same thing happen where i night out and withdrawal symptoms come right back?
I sound exactly like ure boyfreind and if u ask my ex who I have children with she will tell u youre story is hers , I am no longer with her it herts but you I am abstenant  from drugs now no methadone script , no heroin, nothing . But the only thing I really wanted was her and my family. Fuking heroin. I had used meth and h for ten yrs  and ruined a lot of lives , hope this is usefull to you marty