Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
COMING OFF PERCOCET?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

COMING OFF PERCOCET?

I HAVE BEEN TAKING PERCOCET FOR ABOUT 2 YEARS NOW, EVERYDAY! IT STARTED FOR BACK PROBLEMS AND THE AMT. I WAS TAKING WAS OKAY IN THE BEGINNING, THEN I STARTED TAKING MORE AND MORE THAN I SHOULD.  IT IS NOW TO THE POINT WHEN I DON'T HAVE ANY LEFT, I AM RUNNING AROUND WORRYING ABOUT WHERE I CAN GET MORE, I AM EVEN GOING IN DEBT FROM BUYING THEM OFF THE STREET.  I AM SCARED AND DON'T WANT TO BE IN PAIN ALWAYS, BUT, I WANT TO BE ABLE TO COME OFF THEM WITHOUT HAVING HEART FAILURE OR WHATEVER.  IS SOMEONE JUST ABLE TO STOP COLD TURKEY? OR, DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS MEDICATION I CAN ASK MY DOCTOR FOR TO HELP ALLEVIATE SOME OF THE WITHDRAWL (withdrawal) SYMPTOMS AND GET ME EITHER TOTALLY OF THESE THINGS OR AT LEAST BACK TO TAKING THEM THE PROPER WAY? I NEED SOME HELP. THANK YOU.
Hey girl. First of all, welcome! Coming here and posting is a big step in the right direction.

Is there any reason to think that you will NOT have crippling back pain without the narcotics? If so, great! You can start planning to get your life back by freeing yourself from this terrible addiction! If not, you should really talk to your doctor about your options.

As far as HOW to get off the percs, recovering addicts have different things that have worked for them. Some can quit cold turkey (that's why I'm trying), some tapered, some switched to something else (like suboxone). The only med that I can say absolutely has helped me in terms of physical w/d is Imodium (immodium), which I took maybe 15-20 pills total. Others have claimed that vitamins, supplements, anti-depressants, Robitussin DM, etc. has helped them and it probably has.

My point is this: you CAN get off of the percocets! It won't be easy, but education and support can make a huge difference in your recovery.

Please keep us posted of your progress.
Thank you so much for your response.  I have a dr. appt. this afternoon to speak with the Dr. and explain to him my dilemma.  I am going to research Suboxone, as I've heard alot of about it. I will keep you posted and I appreciate your concern.  I am just very afraid as to how I will feel if I just stop cold turkey!
And, having to work just makes this worse.  I will speak with Dr. today and see if he can help in some way.  Again, thank you and will be in touch.
Let us know what the doctor says. I agree about researching your options. There are a large number of helpful resources online that can help you immensely. Use discernment and look at the body of your research as a whole to help guide you to making this decision, because it's an important one.
I know that fear of running out of pills.  Getting that monkey off your back is one of the big benefits of quitting.

Please tell your physician everything.  He/she will want to help you get off the pills.  In fact, your physician will probably be very happy when you him/her that you want to quit and will rally to help.

One remedy before and during withdrawl (withdrawal) is to drink lots of water.  Also, water melon and cantalope help to raise the fluid intake.  Anything that will speed up the flushing out of opiates from you body is a bonus.

BTW: After I quit, I was surprised that my original pain was far less than when I was taking pills.  It seemed like my body was creating more pain to justify the pills.  If I'm right, you may find your original pain to be far less than you expect after you quit.    

Congratulations on your decision to move forward.  Please remember that quitting is a process, not an event.

This Forum really helped me through W/D and the current members, going through W/D at  the same thime as you can be a great support.   I check in once a week and I am looking forward to reading of your progress next week.

Cordially,
GEORGE
Week 9  C/T
Hi and welcome!!  Coming off of any opiate has it's affects on your body and mind. going c/t is the fastest way to get clean and you will not die from it. My best advice is to come clean to your doctor and tell he or she your problem. They will not bust you for getting it off the street. Most of the time your doctor will already know you have a problem. Doc can give many different drugs to help the side effects of w/ds. Admitting you have an addiction problem is the first step your already on your way to recovery if you want. Hang in there and stay in touch with us on this forum there is good support here!!!!!
In answer to your questions:

Question: How long did it take you to quit?
Answer:  I spent three months tapering down from 30 pills to 6 pills per day.

Question: How long were you on meds:
Answer:  10 years

Question: Was it percocet?
Answer:  Originally vicodin and then tylenol/codeine

Question: Did you just wake up one day and say, ''THAT'S IT!?"
Answer:  Yes, in the middle of my taper I just stopped taking pills.

Question: Do you know if there is some type of out patient program that works maybe faster?
Answer:  I think this varies by your area.  My HMO wouldn't take me.  I think this Forum is better than any program I could have attended.

FYI:

Please remember that quitting is a proccess, not an event.  The process includes:

There is a WITHDRAWL (withdrawal) period (W/D) of up to a week while the opiates are flushed from the body and the brain/body begin learning to live without opiates..

That is followed by 3-4 months of  RECOVERY which is characterized by the body beginning to restore itself; however, it also includes (different for each person)  craving, depression, fatigue, and sleep issues.   At the same time the body starts regenerating and you begin realizing the benefits of not using pills.  

From then on, it is SOBRIETY where we begin function in life without pills and avoid relapse.  

Cordially,
GEORGE
Week 9 C/T
Thanks for responding.  How long did it take  you to quit? And, how long were you on meds (was it percocet?) before you decided to quit?  I mean, did you just wake up one day and say, ''THAT'S IT!?" Also, do you know if there is some type of out patient program that works maybe faster?  Like, a 24 hour type program or anything like that? Please advise, any and all help from all of you is appreciated.
Hey girl,
Hey girl,
Hey girl,
Hey girl,
Sorry about that. You just tokd my story. I starte taking Percocet for neck pain from an accident I was in. And within 2 years I was taking up to 30 10mg pills a day and had also cross addicted to Oxycontin, because the perks werent enough. But there is hope and it is not fun at first but it is so worth it. I would definetly try and find a program that you can participate in so you have the support you need to get through the hard times. Because I can tell you it is a rollercoaster. I just graduated and out patient program that I was in for almost a year and it saved my life. I have been clean for year in April. You need the support you cant do it on your own. Good luck  you can do it your awsomw.
Sad_girl
Hi, you ame to the right place. I found alot of help here.
You can do this for sure, Im 17 days clean now . and soon you will be too.
Mike

1911 . Wow i thoguht i was the only one . i swear my foot ands shoudler hurt way more when i was taking the oxycontin/percoset, then they do now. once I quit i found I could take asparin (aspirin)/motrin and get by,, granted, it hurts but I can handle it

mike
I have been taking percocets for about 2 years and only take about 2-5 pills a week.  I know its not much but I like them because they take away the stress after work.  If there any alternatives to get off without other medication.
Hi, I read your story and I am in the same boat just not as far as you have gotten. I also take percocet 10 mg, anywhere from 8 to 10 a day. I am suppose to take only 4. At this moment I have only 5 days left and I can not refill for another 16 days. I have been going up and down every month. I'm fine for two weeks then the it starts, I run low and panic. Several times, almost every month I end up having to cold turkey it. Everytime I slip so far into depression and DT's that I feel like I would rather die. I have 5 children to care for I lost my husband in april, we were separated at the time, he took his own life leaving all us to wounder why he did this. Two days later the apartment I had burned down and three months later I was robbed taking everything we had, at the same time my former father in law tried to take my youngest daughter from me and now our home. I have been wrapped up in the most horrible battles and nothing mad me feel any better but the meds. They made my mind feel better so that I could handle these issues, which are far from over. But I just can't take it any more! These pills which once helped make me feel in control have now taken control. I need to get off them saftly without the depression. It would help alot if anyone had some sujestions. I read everything posted and just broke out in tears, I can not let my kids down by being a mess. What should I do? Is there an alternate medication to get off these pills?? I need real help!
Sincerly,
Mom in peril  
Start a new thread at the top of the page.. This is an old one and will get left behind.. It is good that you are here and want to share.. Just copy and paste your info that you wrote above and start a new post of your own.. You will get alot of responses that way.. This way you might not get any, other than to do hwta I am informing you of.. Good luck
Please, looking for advice.....I took percocet for 6yrs I am now coming off of them as of 4 days ago.  I ended up in the ER because they caused me so many problems.  The doctor gave me meds.  Does it get easier at this point they are always on my mind I am trying to look forward.  I can't drink liquids.  I don't even know if this makes sense at this point.  Thank You
you need to post a new question to draw attention to ur post as it is an old thread....have u scanned the health pages for the thomas recipe?...keep posting...lots of support here
I have a stepson who is injecting percocet, he says he has stopped and the doctor has him on  a tapering med. Is this true? then he said after 2 weeks clean the doctor will inject him with a pellet or bullet so if he does get high it will make him sick?? we dont know what to believe please help
I have been taking 1/2 percocet daily for migraines for about 3 years.  I moved up to 1-2 per day, depending on the day.  I am weening off now because I only have 20 left and I am very nervous.  I took 1/2 today to take the edge off.  How long will this last?
So did you get to the Doctor's this afternoon, are you back yet , what did he say???
HELLO!  I, TOO, CAN TOTALLY RELATE.  I HAVE HEPATITIS C, TOOK TREATMENT AND WAS A COMPLETE RESPONDER, IN REMISSION FOR 6 YEARS.  I INJURED BOTH LEGS AND HAVE BEEN ON PERCOCET 10, XANAX AND ALSO BP MEDS.  I WANT OFF NOW!  I HAVE TEENAGED BOYS WHO NEED ME NOW.  I NEED AND WANT MY LIFE BACK.  PLEASE HELP ME!  HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE AND HOW BAD WILL I FEEL TO GO COLD TURKEY OFF PERCOCET?  I HAVE BEEN ON IT FOR APPROX 2 YEARS.  WHAT ABOUT THE XANAX?  I AM SO SORRY TO READ EVERYONE'S STORIES...BUT I AM SO HAPPY TO HAVE OTHERS WHO KNOW WHAT I'M GOING THROUGH.  PLEASE ADVISE.  PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!
what are the med that i can ask my doc to get off this demon/ percoset
ill bre reading every day to see if i can get help
You have posted on a very old post if u will look at the dates..u need to post a new question about your needs so they will not be at the bottom of a long post like this
I'm a mother of 2 and gave birth to my son on august 30th 2009. The day I left the hospital I was given 30 percocet for afterbirth and back pain. I also had an appointment for an MRI of back due to a fall I had right before I got pregnant with him. I found out I had 4 herniated discs and a bulging disc and an annual tear on my spinal cord. I was given 90 percs a month, to be taken 3x a day. I have been doing this for 5 months! I tried cold turkey just today and made it 24 hours with minor withdrawals like bone aches, fatigue and some loose stools, I also drank a liver detox tea and tons of water. The only reason I took a pill was I wanted to do the tapering method so as to not spin my body into shock. I just wanted to comment that sometimes the withdrawal isnt so bad, its a mind thing. I plan to take 1 day and then half a day and finally be free. I'm giving myself a week.... wish me luck
Single parent in Alaska. Sole supporter of two teenage boys. There father is paralyzed. I houseclean for a living and go to college. I am 4 classes away from my degree. A year ago, I injuryed my neck and spine weight lifting. Doc says no more weights for a year and gave me 10mg percocets. Now Im taking 8-10 of them a day to keep the pain away. I work 18-20 hr days to take care of my boys. However, when I run out, I feel insane and the pain is intolerable. Told Doc I wanted off them, and he said tuff it out. Im violently sick, cant hardle move, and its costing me my integrity with my boys, friend, and work. What do I do now? I feel so alone and ashamed. I knew better to ever start taking them, cause of the story's I'd heard. I love my life, just not me right now. By the way I have Hep C 1A to boot, and gallstones. What a freaking mess Im in. I am asking for moral support cause it hurts so bad. I need friends to help me through this
Your story and advise inspired me, My story starts with a back injury  I suffered at work and helping my wife battle cancer for 2 years then her passing away on Nov. 16th 2009. I now stay with my sister in law who is battling cancer on the weekends to help her and am going thru the same thing I did for the last 2 years with my wife. The Percocets helped me feel "happier" gave me energy. I've been buying them on the streets and am ashamed of myself. I've tappered off..but on bad days I say "screw" it and go buy some. The lack of energy is the worse for me. I have xanax prescribed and am leaning toward taking more of those while attempting to "taper off" again this week. If it will be just one bad week of withdraw I'm sure I can handle that. Would you say I'm going in the right direction in my attempts to try and find some sort of normalacy in my life and stopping to take these percocets? Thank you very much
All of you who are scared and suffer from narcotic pain medication god be with you. It is scaring me just  thinking about detoxing eventhough I am determine. How insane is it to take a drug that no longer makes you feel good plus you keep increasing it? That's me. I have been on a new drug called nucynta. It works great for the pain, but it has caused me to be majorly depressed.  I am scheduled to have back surgery in a week and doctor said I wll be on even stronger medicine when I first come home. the dr. knows i am an addict. however, I have never been addicted to opiates and I am terrified I even thinking about withdrawal. I keep searching the web to try to find out how to detox off narcotics without severe withdrawal and have not had any  success with information given. I know my doctor told me I will taper off and I can't die from withdrawal, but I am still scared.  I also suffer from major depression(been hospitalized for it and tried to kill myself x2. I guess I am mostly afraid of mental withdrawal than physical withdrawal. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

living in fear
I have been on several different narcotics for the past six yrs on and off . Lately my dr. presxribed me percocet 7.5 and I started out taking 2 six x's a day as prescribed but I also suffer from sever depression and it gets to the point to where I have upped my dose to  from 8-10 a day and hten some because of my depression and from the pain I suffer from which is Fribmyalgia and rhemotoid arthritis and it got to the point o where the depression and pain would get so bad i took more and more to numb everything, it would give me energy that I hadn't had in yrs and able to go and do things with my daughter and fiance' I am out of my med and have been out of them for 3 days and today is the worse day of all i believe it is withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms that I am going through cause my whole body hurts especially my back and I cant stop crying cause I know that I have no more to help me with my painand my withdrawl (withdrawal) I havent been able to sleep in 3days because of this. I heard of a drug called Methadone that helps with coming off Narcotics but I don't want to take anymore Narcotics because of what I'm going through right now with my withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms and let me tell you it is bad I fel like I'm going to die, I'm breaking out in really bad sweats, I feel like i'm going to pass out, but I have my fiance' who is very supportive and a really good friend who tells me I will get through this. I am not an alcholic drinker but I thought that by drinking a few shots of hard liqeuor will help with the pain and sleep, if so is this true and do you think it will help me. Also how long does it take going through withdrawls? I feel like its the end of the world for me, but I ran out of my percs and I have no choice but to stop cold turkey and. If i would've known that this is what I had to go through then i would've rahter to never take a damn Narcotic in my life. So I guess my question is since I'm not  a drinker, will drinking a few shot help me get through the day and to sleep will it help me in anyway, or does anyone out there no of anything that can help me get through this cause it is terrible and I just want it to end. I've also heard i takes just a couple of days to cold turkey it and the psychological part takes a little longer but my third day is when it hit home. Please help me I have a six yr old daughter and i am depriving her of her child hood life, she has no idea what's going on all she knows is that mommy is sick and i tell her i will get better. A friend of mine offered me some xanax to help me sleep for a couple of days until this is all gone, something i've never taken but he said it will definately help, how true is that as well as everything else I've posted, and one more question in stores they sell 7 day detox treatments is that something good to take to get this crappy drug out of my system and will it still make me go through withdrawls?Eveyone 's help is very much appreciated, I thank you in advance. I will check this post daily for anyone's replys. Thank you again!
Hi.  I stopped taking my pills (vic) yesterday.  I'm doing this cold turkey BECAUSE if you get suboxone or methadone, they will taper you, which will be painful.  THen eventually you habe to stop that too- and where ever you quit- even at a low dose, you are going to withdraw.  They say it is worse W/D from sub or methadone than anything else.  I don't know.  My husband just did it . Took 5 MISERABLE days.  Good luck.
My boyfriend and I are both trying to get off pain killers.I wanted to ask my doctor about Suboxone but I've heard it is really expesive for just one prescription and I am a full time student and currently am unemployed because of school. So is it true that one prescription of Suboxone can cost up to 200 dollars and your insurance will not cover it at all?
you should make a new post to get it attention...this one is pretty old

i think some o fthe sub will be covered under the pescribtion plan.....but the doc visit might not be depends on the insurance
I am on suboxone and Medicaid pays for mine, without insurance a prescription for 1 month 2 a day is 384.00
Oh my god I feel the worse right now...what can I do for the withdrawal symtons am be addicted to percocet for 2 years i just to buyed in the street but right now is so hard to find it and I benn with out pills for 2 days, I just to take more then 8 a day. no body from my family now that i had this addiction and i dont know what to do I feel that am gonna die. what can i do or take for this?
I have now stopped all narcotics for a chronic back issue and  this is my 4th week with nothing, I will never cold turkey or suggest it to anyone. By my 2nd day I could not stand it, I texted my family doctor who is also a persona friend of mines and she was so upset with me that i tried to just stop it. she had me wean down over 4 days and gave me klonopin 2 times a day for 5 days. There is no reason to suffer through it she told me. Most physicians will help you with this and even if you have been buying illegally remember that most physicians will still help you to be healthy and what you say to them is confidential. I am also a nurse so again recommend weaning with the help of a physician.
Hi there is seen your last comment about getting help from a Doctor and getting Klonopin to help..I am about to go to my doctor tomorrow..now this is a new doctor because I didn't care for my previous one.  but I want to be honest with him and I need help. so I am going to ask if he can give me something to help with the withdrawals..how did the Klonopin help you?  Just trying to figure out what I can take during the day I have a full time job that I can't miss any time from lucky for me I work at home, so at least I don't have to worry about my appearance while I go through this.  so far I have heard about Klonopin, Clonidine, and diazepam, Any opinions would be great!

thanks
Hey all,
I have been taking norco 10/325 for ruptured discs in my neck/lower back/siatica for 2 years now. Norco stopped working so went to endocet 10/325. Been on that for 2 months  and still not getting relief.  I am taking up to 10 pills a day(some norco left over and some endocet) for 1 a month( before was 6 a day) and am worried about my liver.   I am in great physical shape(excercise regularly) but recently been having crazy headaches and fever. I am worried about my liver and possibly apap overdose. I have 2 questions..

1) is there a pain medicine that i can get prescribed without the apap?

2) If I cant get that.. whats the best way to taper down in medication so i can feel happy about my liver and not have withdraws.
You may want to check with your doctor and consider taking 3000mg Niacin (B3) vitamin supplement.  It's was used by the founder of AA for his own depression.  I started with 500mg of rapid release niacin in the morning and then 500mg slo release at night.  Now I'm also taking a slo release in the middle of the day too and it's really helping.  I will work my way up to 3000mg.  I sleep better too.  And it's helped me go cold turkey of percocet.  I'm sorry about all the things that happened to you.  Things are fixable and replaceable.  You and your family are not replaceable and are the most important.  Good luck to you.  Please check out ******.org for more info about how nutrition call heal everything.  Good luck and blessings.  Another Mom.
I have been taking Percocet for about two years now and worked my up to about 15 a day.  I am out now and starting withdrawal.  I feel like I have bugs crawling on my arms and legs.  What is this and how do I make it stop??
HI Welcome to the forum....it the creepy crawly feelings you get wile your detoxing a hot bath or shower should help a bit but you got around 4 days of this to go threw along with uot and cold sweats anxiety aches and pains no sleep its a ruff few days but it w2ill end for most on day 5 the hot bath is the best treatment I know of that can help you with that ....look to the lower right of the screen you will find something called the thomas recipe pick up the stuff tomorrow it will help make this a little less miserable try to keep a postive attitude ......yuo wont be chained to a pill bottle any more once your threw it keep posting for support we will walk you threw it its late in most of the country so it might be a little slow ....it also would be a good idea to start your own post....just go to the top of the page click on the green box marked post a question you will get a lot more responces hang in there you'll get threw this good luck and God bless Gnarly    
   I have been taking perks for about 10 years now.I started doing them because everybody around me was doing them.I snort them and always did.I am doing about 10-15 each day,so is my spouse.We have tried to quit about 10 times now.She even went to rehab for 8 days.That's all the time they allow around here for treatment.I don't think that's enough time.We are going cold turkey.It's hard but we are doing it.I seem to be having it a lot easier than her.I only suffer with sore joints back pain.Hard time sleeping.Witch lasts about 5-8 days.My spouse on the other hand is suffering major night sweats,aches all over just no energy or not even the want to get up to do anything.I know we will make it the thing is to stay of them.All our friends do them or harder drugs.It's time to get new friends i guess.I am so proud of anybody willing to get help,hang in there it will get better.Just don't go back to that lifestyle.
Hi I know how you feel I'm going through it right now I just want to stop taking the pills. I have been taking them for four years started with one pill a day then before I knew it I was takin about thirty a day. I have had a hard time with it but it helps to have somebody that cares for you and wants you back to normal. My self I tried to sleep and drink as Much water as I could and their is this product you can get at Fred myers called soneys 7. It help take out all bad toxins in your body three days later I'm back to takin the three a day I'm supposed to. Next step is none. It's not easy but all you have to do it want to be clean and you can do it.    
Helllo,
I have been taking oxycodone on and off for about 3 years.  I had 2 surgeries.
One was for ovarian cancer.   I had a complete hysterectomy.  It was 3rd stage.  I was told to have chemo, but I refused.  In about a year I ended up with bowel surgery and after that went through 7 treatments of chemo.  After a year in a half I was told I had a reoccurrence  so I did chemo for another 6 treatments.  Last October both knees went out but the doctor said he would not do surgery because it was too close to chemo but he gave me oxycodone.  I stayed on them even after the pain left because thet made me feel better.  The Lord told me to go off at a set time but I refused.  I so regretted it as it has been some what hard.  I took my last pill 2 days ago.  Yesterday was the hardest.  I had a temperature  of 99.9 the whole day.  I stayed home from church.  But today is much better.  I'm beginning to feel like myself again.  If you ask God to help you come off of these addicting drugs - he will help you.
I understand what you are all going through!  It is a roller coaster and I know what it feels like to "have a monkey on your back."  On Christmas Day 2006 I lost my mother from cancer.  I was 4 months pregnant at the time.  After the birth of my child my doctor prescribed me percocets for the pain from the c-section.  After that I drowned myself in the percocets.  I convinced a doctor to prescribe them to me and in addition to my 60 per month prescription I was buying them on the streets, spending upwards to $1500/per month.  No matter what I did to try to quit, nothing worked.  To me, they were my best friend.  My husband too became addicted and he decided to get on the suboxone program.  I decided I had had enough and starting taking them too.  So it became a battle between the two...trading suboxone with percocets.  I have so much sympathy for those who suffer from this terrible demon.  All can say is my faith in Jesus Christ is the only subsitute. God Bless everyone who suffers from this!
What's the best n safest way to come off percocet?
Dont worry b Happy. Make up ur mind to do it. Then have a back up plan, methodone or suboxin. I tried both but suboxin seemed to work for me. It took away craving n one pill last 3 days.im on day 3 of subs n am really doing well, even workin during all this. So percs distort ur thinkn n make u sad. Hope I helped.. Peace.
i'm so sorry of what i've become i'm not embarrassed anymore i need help.i can't take it anymore,i know your first born (me) made you a mom for the first time and you were so proud of me (tears) i'm an addict.i don't have any back pain or anything like that i just did them cause i liked the feeling and power it gave me and took away my shyness where i was able to talk to anybody in any situation.i'm so sorry mom i never wanted my life to end up this way i still can't tell you yet.but it makes me feel better to write here.(tears) support is a big part in recovery if you have family that is your path.if not there are groups N/a i've been off them perks for 2 days and it's hell teying to keep my job and friends with trouble sleeping.what keeps me going and not to touch them again is hoping the clouds of withdrawl (withdrawal) clear away and the sunshine of recovery comes soon where i'll be happy again (tears)
Joey...I read your thread and it reminded me of what I just persevered through.  I have been taking oxy for 2 years or so.  This past Thursday I decided to lay them down.  Thursday and Friday was a living Hell and I couldn't have made it at work.  Saturday was better and today I feel 90%. The trick is to have people around you that care and can literally watch you for two or three days.  Also, tell yourself no...lastly, most importantly, pray a lot.  God will make you persevere.  Drink lots of fluids and make yourself eat as I lost 8 lbs in two days.  Good luck and you can do it.
i am around 5-6 hours clean, ive wanted to come off percs for a while now, been taking them everyday for about 6 months. avg 6 minimum per day.

i feel like i am not myself when im not on them.

im going through alot of mental and emotional pain right now, having deep thoughts and epiphanies

any suggestions on what to do?

thanks.

bob.
bobjones this is such a n old post.U have a situation that can use answers ASAP.U need2start a new post dedicated specifically2u.
Please do that so we can help
I have been addicted to opana (oxymorphone) and percocet for almost two years. It started with a back injury when I worked for a cleaning company, I had to quit my job, and after a month of failed chiropractic therapy and physical therapy, my pain was not any better, so my mom started giving me her 5mg opana. It started with one here and there, but after a month or so I was completely addicted and started snorting them for better relief and because I loved the high I got from it. My mom started getting low on her script each month because she was sharing so much with me, so we started having to buy percocet off the street. I would say we both have hit an ALL TIME LOW. I want to quit so badly after almost two years of this lifestyle. None of my friends or boyfriends have known about my habit, and my mom's husband is clueless as well. I feel so guilty everyday, but I've tried to quit, and since I already have horrible depression, I can't handle the withdrawals and anxiety and suicidal thoughts I get when I go off the pills. (I gave my daughter up for adoption when she was born, about three months before I hurt my back, so my depression was at the WORST its ever been when I started taking the pills. I even went to the hospital to see if they would prescribe me suboxone or something to help me quit, and all they would give me was promethazine (to help with my sleeping problems and tremors). It did absolutely nothing to say the least, and after a week of suffering I was back on the pills. I would love some words of encouragement or wisdom,. any advice would mean the world to me. I want to quit, but I just dont see how I'll make it through this anytime in the near future :-(

I have heard Suboxone is the relief in the word,
where can I purchase this I have seen several Doc over
the last few years they dont want to hear a thing or
help in anyway.
Tom
Chronic back pain for years, major back surgery, more back pain, then the big "C" w/ lymphnode tumors pressing on a nerve that went down to my testicle, then joint pain from the chemo, then lower digestive pains from the radiation, then a couple of bouts w/ sciatica, then 2 car crashes a few months of each other, so now a herniated disk continues to leak on a nerve that cannot be rectified via surgery due to the original posterior lumbar fusion - Medical Fix, you got - Opiates...  I have been on opiates for one reason or another for approx 13yrs, and most recently percocet every day for over 3 years, and today I meet with my spine doc to ask him to wean me off of these suckers... I have no clue yet how I'll deal with the daily pain, but the Laws are changing in my State on Jan 1, so I'll have to start going to a Pain Management Clinic (I lost my job, and my Cobra has run out, so NO Ins)...

I've got to say after doing some online research, speaking w/ some Med professionals, making some phone calls in hopes of getting my ducks in a row for any psychological dependancy factor, and Today meeting w/my spine surgeon - I am petrified!  This does not seem like it will be an easy task, especially for an obsessive/compulsive as I tend to be... I want this done now, like yesterday (Type A personality) - however, I now totally understand this will not be a quick fix as I'd like... Getting 2nd thoughts... Signed, real scared... Will keep you posted.
what laws are changing in your state Jan 1st that will prevent you from getting your pain meds?  What state are u from??
Effect Jan 1st, surgeons, mds, eveyrone except for Oncologists treating terminal cancer patients can no longer prescribe opiates for more than 90 days, unless they're willing to install pricey software and input ALL past & present patient info, AND the DEA will have authority to enter their offices and rifle thru their files whenever they choose.  IF docs refuse to go this route, as my spine surgeon is refusing to do and I do not blame him at all, it's a $10,000 fine per patient for prescribing opiates for more than 90 days...  Therefore, all chronic use of pain meds MUST only go to a Pain Management Clinic and they have to follow very stringent State Laws whereas these Pain Management Clinincs which caused the new Laws to begin with because there were so many many unmonitored Pain Clinics (named Pill Mills) that people have been coming in form surrounding States to get 100s of pills and paying cash, and selling them on the streets.  More people die of prescription overdose in FL (my state) that die in car wrecks daily... Pain Managment Clinics, are VERY expensive and I do not have Health Ins AND they're only allowed to prescribe so many pills at a time, meaning I'd have to go there every week or two the way I understand it... I'd also have to take urine tests every time, and pay for that as well.
Day 0  (Thur 11/3)
I was wide-awake at 4:00 AM.  I met with my spine surgeon this afternoon as scheduled for my 25-30 day refill script, who has been prescribing my most recent need for pain killers (3+ years, 10 mg Percocet, prescribed 1-2 every 4-6 hr as needed).  We typically chat about personal issues, after my urine test (per recent New Laws) to prove that I am taking my meds that’s prescribed VS selling them on the street, and our appt typically ends with him asking “any changes” – I say, “No”, and he hands me my script… Scripts for percocet and/or stronger narcotics must have a written script VS calling or faxing it into the pharmacy.

Today was different though, and I could see the confused look in my doc’s facial expression when I requested his nurse to be present for this consult.  I gave them a succinct synopsis of my pain meds history (13+ yrs)…
He once told me, when I inquired as to how long a person can stay on narcotics, in my case probably for Life, and I believe that he assumed I would be on them for life…

I believe that he was waiting for the punch: that I needed a stronger med now, but instead when I told him that enough is enough, especially whereas our Laws are changing on Jan 1 and he can no longer prescribe the pain meds for any patient more than 90 days, which is typically long enough after orthopedic surgery (of course, accountants are making the rules, not Doctors).  Effective Jan 1st, I would be required to go to a Pain Management Clinic instead, which is very expensive and whereas I lost my job due to the economy and do not have Health Insurance any longer, it would be a huge financial strain.  

It took a minute to sink-in, but when the doc was clear and understood that I wanted assist with stopping the meds, he replied “oh, boy”… After a long uncomfortable pause in the room, I said, “well, that’s not very encouraging”… He elaborated that this will be difficult, but can be done and that he and his staff will assist.  He further continued that I am the second person today alone, to sit in the same chair, which told him the same thing – that they want off the meds… I asked about possibly going the Suboxone film route VS weaning, but he is not certified in prescribing it, nor does he have any desire to prescribe it… And, the drug costs a min of $100 per week and then you have to wean off of that drug-substitute as well, but apparently experience zero opiate withdrawal.  BTW, I only took 3 pills today.
WHY did I start taking these devil pills:

1) Initially, obviously to assist with controlling the intense and chronic pain that radiates from my lumbar L4, L5, and S1 - down through my buttocks (both sides), into both hips, and down the backs of both legs.  I needed assist to carry-on with everyday activities and life in general.  I was miserable from the chronic pains and had nowhere else to turn for help, except to the pain meds.  The pills dull the pain enough to function with my daily routine.

2) These types of drugs knockout ‘normal’ people, especially the strength I need to take whereas I have a high-tolerance per the doc.  It’s classic that with me; the pills keep me awake and motivated VS how I use to be which was constantly tired due to classic depression issues.  I haven’t had a need for a nap in years now… This is what determines an addict, or the potential to get addicted.  I also have suffered with textbook Depression for most of my adult life, and it has progressed big time over the past 20 years…

3) When I am taking the pills I lose a lot of inhibitions, and can speak with most anyone about most anything.  I was never a small-talker in the past, and avoided meeting with strangers, or chit-chatting with neighbors while getting the mail or working in the yard or taking out the trash, or going to parties where I didn’t know many people, etc.  The pills changed all of that, but also took-away the ‘normal’ motivation that I should have (i.e. to look for a real paying job w/Health Ins and bennys, cleaning my own house VS having someone else do it, taking my pooch to the park and/or for walks, bathing my dog VS having the groomer do it, brushing my dog daily, washing my dogs eyes every morning to get the sleep out, etc).  My poor dog has to suffer because of my depression & addiction… What a mess I have made out of my one life to live…
Why Do I Want To Stop taking the pills:

1) The Laws are supposedly changing on Jan 1st and my spine doc will no longer be able to prescribe them for me, so I’ll have to start going to an expensive Pain Management Clinic, which I cannot afford – nor do I want to be in that class… You can only get so many pills at a time, so constantly have to go back, wait, be monitored & evaluated.  Who has the time for all of that?  It would be like a PT job, just to get my meds…
2) The drugs make me super irritable and anxious.
3) Noises/sounds seem unusually loud and/or unusually annoying to me.
4) Addictive, and not good for my body.
5) I have to urinate several times during the night, which started approx 1 month after the daily use of percs.
6) Social stigma attached to the chronic use of opiates.
Day 1  (Fri)
Being Type-A personality; in prep for this, I discontinued anything in my life that causes me non-needed stress. Also, I did the appropriate online research including reading the many blogs avail for the many people in my same predicament, made the appropriate calls regarding the possible assist with any psychological dependency issues, told a group of my closest confidants for moral support as the transition moves forward, and turned over the responsibility of keeping and dispensing the meds to someone else.

Per the doc’s professional advise, first 2 weeks I am only to take 3 pills per day (same mg as I have been taking), but am only to take them at the same time every day.  I came up with the time schedule that would be convenient to both me and the keeper of the pills  (9AM, 3PM, 9PM), which allows me 12 hr in between – huge change from the way I have been taking the pills for the past 3+ years.  The 12 hr without any meds may not be the most logical schedule, but I can adjust it if warranted. He’ll continue to adjust/lower the mg dosage and how often to take them, every two weeks and he wants to see me “face to face” every two weeks as well…

So my day began a little apprehensive, but somewhat excited at the thought of one day soon being opiate-free. I called my neighbor around 9:00 to ask if the Pharmacy was open yet, she said yes, and the games begin.  She gave me my first monitored dose.  I must say that it is apparent, this will become an inconvenience for me to have to go to her home 3 times a day, which is actually another plus I suppose.  

As the day continued, I found myself kind of clock-watching, but not sure whether it’s because I want my next pill due to my chronic pain and I need the pill to lessen the pain, or simply because I am Type-A personality and despise being late for any appointment. I am walking around in a fog though, and long periods of sleep seems like it may be a thing of the past whereas I woke up at 2:30 AM and could not fall back asleep. My chest feels like someone is sitting on it too.
Day 2  (Sat)
Well, I survived yesterday unscathed!  Do I miss reaching for the bottle whenever I feel the need for my pain, I’ll be honest - maybe just a little. On the big-time Üp side, I have been getting a ton of things accomplished to keep my mind busy! A friend gave me a mild sedative to help me sleep tonight whereas my over-the-counter sleep aid hasn’t been working, so I should sleep good tonight, fingers crossed…My pain level is high today.

Day 3  (Sun)
I survived another day unscathed, I slept like a log last night, and my pain level is tolerable today. I will con’t to keep busy, but as time goes on and the doses con’t to go down, time will tell…

Day 4  (Mon)
I think the doctor is taking too long for this process, I want this done already!  I went to bed unusually early for me last night, and slept relatively well last night without any sleep aid.  I awoke in a lot of pain this morning, but it could be from being in bed too long – in addition to the lack of meds in my system.  Skies seem clearer…
Day 5  (Tue)
I took a xanax to sleep last night, I’ll prop get addicted to those now too, at least to assist with my night sleeping… My pain level is not nearly as high this morning as it was yesterday morning, though it’s certainly not pleasant…  It seems that when I sleep real well via a sleep aid, my morning pain is less crippling assumedly because I lay still all night in an appropriate position with the little pillow between my knees all VS restlessness and sleeping off & on in nutty positions…

I made it thru yesterday, but whom am I kidding… Trying to kid myself I guess.  Sunday night I fell asleep very unusually early for me, and forgot to take the 9:00 PM pill Claire left on my kitchen counter.  On the upside, when I awoke yesterday, I was still alive with no withdrawal symptoms other than the intense ‘foggy feeling’.  Unfortunately, I also woke up in a lot of pain, so at 8:30 I took the pill left from the night prior.  I intended to brag to everyone via email that I only took 2 pills yesterday, and wont need the pill from Claire that morning because I still have the one left from the night prior, etc (yeah, I only took 2 percocet NOT counting the 2 vicodins), but I was very apprehensive to push send, and ended up deleting the email unsent.  Sadly, at 9:20ish or so, I went and got my morning pill from Claire per usual (just to have it, BUT I ended up taking it too)… The pain diminished immensely of course.

Again, whom am I kidding – I also have been taking a 7.5 vicodin in between my allotted percocet pill times since Day 1 of this ‘weaning process’ BUT I haven’t told anyone that, nor will I at this point…  IF I can’t even go down to 3 of the strong 10 mg percs a day without issue, how the hell and I going to go down to half strength, etc???  OMG!

Last night I was super bitchy & verbally aggressive towards Claire as I only can be since I started taking these effin pain pills 3+ yr ago, not sure if it’s just cuz she tends to get on my nerves sometimes (as does everyone get on my nerves), or whether it’s because I am subconsciously pissed-off at her for controlling my percocets, and I wanted one.  WHY would I be angry at her – she’s helping me AND I asked her to do this for me… I don’t know how she can stand me sometimes…  She left here around 8:30 and placed the 9PM pill on the kitchen counter, but of course I HAD to take it practically soon as she left….  

I’m a real piece of work!!!  I feel so guilty and I am wicked scared that I really may not be able to do this after all… Will go get today’s AM pill shortly, of course (10 AM though not 9:00) – otherwise literally how can I function... UGH!!!!!!!!!!!! I make myself sick, and I cannot afford $$ it, nor will I, go into a full time rehab.  Eventually, I will be totally out of pills, and then what will I do… Turn into a full-fledged druggy and start hocking stuff to buy my drugs from the street?!?!?  No…. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I HATE THIS, how did I allow this to happen to me…………….. STUPID FOOL
Day 6  (Wed)
Beating myself up isn’t helping neither.  I cannot seem to get the balls to also turnover to Claire the Vicodin bottle I have in the house.  Originally, I thought, it would just be there in case I need them some day – well, like a druggy that I apparently am, I cannot stay away from the bottle in between my percs dosages…  The newest thing is Claire now gives me my last pill for the day, and the morning pill, at night.  What I have been doing is saving the night pill for morning, and then splitting up the morning pill late morning/early afternoon to hold me over until the 3:00 dosage.  I am also adding to the mix with (7.5 mg X 1 or 2 a day) of hydrocodone… I felt the need to drug-up for dinner out at Bone Fish…  I feel like such a fraud, and I feel extremely guilty for all the deception!
Day 7  (Thur)
I slept okay last night without the assist of a sleep aid, but I was up 10 times peeing… Not sure if this is from the pills as stated above, or something else like old age and a enlarged prostate, though my prostate exam came back fine less than 1 yr ago… I am hoping that I wean off, my habitual peeing will get back to normal…

Okay, lets start this game over again TODAY whereas I’ve wasted the first week by effing up.  I did not take my 9 PM pill last night, but I took plenty enough painkillers yesterday & last evening.  My real problem is that I am unmotivated to keep busy, and I MUST keep busy constantly.  Struggling with my depression issues and now more guilt and denial and “tomorrow is another day” attitude, and fibbing to my confidants certainly is complicating trying to wean properly, and is killing me… Not sure where/how I lost the drive that I initially had regarding quitting this correctly…  I am a sneak and a liar (the 2 traits I most despise in a person), I’ve been telling most everyone that all is A-ok…  RIGHT!!  No, it is NOT!!

I woke up around 8:00, but stayed in bed until 8:30.  I took only ½ a perc this AM around 9:00.  My goal is to stick to the 3 percs (30 mg) a day as prescribed NOW (no more vicodin too), but I will split up the perc dosages in half and take them more often, so that I do not have as long of intervals without (6 hr in-between without a pill was making me nuts)…  Probably NOT a good idea to do it this way, but we shall see… My pain level has been tolerable the past couple of days, but why wouldn’t it be with all the pain meds I’m taking.  I’ve got to keep busy today!  Got to get my butt over to Michael’s house today and do some more painting at least… Maybe take the pup for a walk too.  2 new dog clients coming this evening, so that will assist too with keeping me busy for the weekend. I should also have this computer permanently removed from the building as well, I spend way too much time sitting in fornt of this thing, while watching TV and avoiding life, and avoiding reality... I need to make a life for myself opiate-free, and find a way to deal with my chronic pain… I had / have good intentions, but can’t seem to get outta my own way and make it happen...

3:30 PM, well at least I had a somewhat productive day: spent 4+ hr at Michael’s today: painting one accent wall due to all the prep work and tiny spaces that I had to get to, around the multiple windows and a slider…  I think it looks awesome, will see what he thinks when he gets home from work.  Was suppose to have a 2nd & 3rd treatment, but I think the outcome would have been way overkill (copper metallic)…  I am in effin agony though; my back is killing me, pain level::: back 8, hips 8, buttocks and backs of legs 8… < UGH – However, I have stuck to my 2 pills technically AND NO vicodin…  I took ½ a 10 mg perc around 9:00 (so, 5 mg), ½ around 12:30 (5 mg), ½ around 3:00 (5 mg), and just took another ½ (5 mg) totaling only 2 for the day (20 mg), which is exactly where I’m suppose to be regarding the mgs, tho I messed with the amount of doses by cutting the mg in 1/2… Whatever it takes at this point, I say… But, NO vicodin too!!
Day 8  (Fri)
Slept fine last night, except woke up sev times to urinate… Pain level is tolerable (5+) this AM even with this frigid cold weather that came in last night, and considering how much agony I was in yesterday after all that painting!  My house was freezing when I woke up!!  New doggies here (2 brother shiatsus).  Well, it may not be how the doc prescribed this to happen, but it wasn’t working for me his way and I was sneaking approx 2 / 7.5 vicodins a day, in between the percs, since Day 1 of this weaning – even tho some days I only took 2 percs VS the 3 prescribed 10 mg (2 percs 10 mg + 2 vicodin 7.5)… So, yesterday I took 5-6 times, ½ pills though (5 mg), so it’s basically where the doc intends to put me next week: 5 pills per day, but 5 mg, same strength as I’m already doing effective yesterday (1 wk early).  The one thing I am super proud of, as sick as this would sound to someone else – I did NOT take any vicodin yesterday – 1st day since I started to wean.  The 6 hr intervals between the pills as doc prescribed was killing me, and I was in agony…  Lets see what today will bring… Going out for the day, so that will assist with keeping me busy.
This is an old post.  You should post your own thread.  Go to post a question at the top of the page.  Glad to hear you are doing well.
I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL...I CANT FUNCTION WITHOUT THE PERCS,I'VE BEEN ON THEM FOR ALMOST 2YRS ,FORM 2 SURGERIES ON MY SHOULDER AND BACK...I CANT GET OFF THE NARCS,I NEED HELP AND I HAVE KNOWBODY TO TURN TOO...BY THE WAY I'AM IN LAW ENFORCEMENT,SO IAM ALL ALONE WITH THIS...GOOD LUCK TO YOU
  I CAN TELL YOU THAT SUBOXONE IS THE WAY TO GO, YOU CAN MATAIN A HIGH LIFE WITHOUT HAVING TO WORRY ABOUT WERE YOUR GOING TO GET MORE PILLS. I LOVE THE FACT THAT ONCE YOUR ON THE PROGRAM YOU CANT TAKE ANY OTHER PAIN PILLS,BUT YOU WONT WANT ANY. BEING LEGAL IS A PLUS
I am on day 3... I have been using the suboxone method and after 4 years hooked on oxys, this seems to be a miracle. I am taking small pieces of the sub, they work wonders. A small piece takes away all w/d symptoms, and they stay in your system for a few days as well. Not feeling well today on 3, no sub yet, trying to abstain for a few hours at least. So far, suboxone is the best I have found in opiate addiction treatment. A little xanax or colonopin to sleep, even tylenol pm, after day 4. Takes at least a week for physical probs. Good luck. Pray. I turned my back to GOD after my husband died in a car accident, and the pill usage went thru the roof. Its been 1 year now and I am talking to GOD again. GOD will give you the courage.... BEST WISHES. STAY STRONG!!!
I feel the same way...I have been taking them for two yrs now...n I'm scared to get off them...n no body knows not my husband family work nothing but I feel its controling me now n I don't know wat to do ...do I stop cold turkey n deal with being sick ..I gotta go to work how do I go to work that sick??? ....I m trying just don't kno wat to do
I'm in a similar boat. Fractured my femur 2 years ago and started with T3s and  Tramacet. I need them for the pain, but I need them more now for the high and I'm nearly out and I don't get a refill until Jan 16. If I tell the doc he'll take away the meds, but if I don't this is just going to keep getting worse. Right now I'm thinking about going downstairs, to an apt, and ask this guy who I think might deal if I can buy an oxycontin from him. I haven't been to the streets yet, but I'm getting close. I can just feel it coming. I'm 56 years old and so embarrassed. Nobody knows. Sometimes I feel like I'd rather be dead. It's good to know that other folks are in here.
Thanks Hatthis for your post too!
I've been almost clean since June..its now Christmas..i was up to 8 or ten a day for about two years..since June I've probably taken about 30..i hate them but what scares me is how discontented i am with my life now cuz my head is clear. I'm afraid I'm gonna leave my boyfriend,vwe have two kids together. I was the girl who hardly smoked a joint until i met him. He's a pothead and drinks whenever he can. I find myself hating him and feeling after four years i just woke up from a drug induced coma and now I'm different. Afraid i might make life changing decisions too soon. I don't know what to do. I quit all on my own. And now i feel so alone ..im at a crossroads and don't know what to do
How longs do the bones and muscles hurt? I have gone cold turcky and im on day 5 after 2 years, My head seems clear, however my body hurts. How long until the pains go away?

KJ
everybody try the herbal pain killers, willow bark, cayenne, valerian mix with passion flower,  mix and try to see whats good for you, its better than that ****,
i have a problem with depending on percocets to keep me going. i always run out a few days early and it terrifies me. i also suffer from PTSD and it seems like having withdrawls from percocet makes it worse. I feel down anxious and don't want to be around anyone. i have loose my sexual desire everytime i run out of my percocets to early. i usually run out like 5 days early. and so i have to go through this alot. i have told my dr. but she doesn't care. she says i must be selling the medications because even though i take extra amounts of percocet it doesn't show up in my urine. this has got me going crazy. i separated my shoulder in service and have a swollen disk in my neck. even though the dr. started me on percocets she says that my shoulder being separated should not be causing me that much pain. i don't know what to do they won't fix my shoulder but they said they want me to stop taking percoset because of the fact it's not showing up in my urine. i am sick , cold chills, feel disoriented. don't know what to do.
I stopped taking 10MG percs this February and while sometimes ill pop a few here and there for the most part I stopped taking them. You can stop these if you want. Stop being a prisoner in your own mind and body.

I will always be an addict and if you are reading this then that means you are to. Just because you stop taking **** to get high doesn't mean you are no longer an addict.

Talk to your doc & get help. If you don't have a doc, then drink plenty of water and get active. The more active you are the better. If you can get outside to a warm climate that will work also.
hi, i am new to this and i need help.i want to quit for good but i cantgo to a treatment facility because i have to take care of my sick wife. i am 60 years old and have been taking percoet for 5 years i average 5 pills a day 10mg/325. i almost got off them  over 5 years ago when i changed taking the pills from 9 am to 930 next day and a half hour added to each day i got to 4:30 pm and thoght i had it licked.my pain is not that great i am very mad at myself for letting this go on . i dont want to come clean with my doctor because of various personal reasonss. tommorrow i am going to try drinking more water.also believe it or not one of my doctors suggested i take a percoet to go with my ambien to sleep at night. i am a very positive person in this very negative situation. any suggestions will be appreciated.iguess i will sign this as :"disappoinet in myself"
HI I WAS ON PERCOCET SINCE 2008 BECOUSE OF A CAR ACCIDENT AND ONE DAY I SAID STOP TO MY SELF THIS IS MY 4 DAY I AM USING ROBITUSSIN NIGHT TIME AND IT HELPS ALOT NOW I FEEL PERFECT I DONT NEED TO USE ANYTHING AND THE PAIN IS GONE
Hey, im currently on day 4 of cold turkey. There's no sense in feeling like this. I was snorting 25 to 35 a aday of 10/650 percs. Is there any thing I can help my energy. Im self employed and i can't miss anymore work. Any advice would be so helpful thanx
Never thought I'd be lookng on a page like this,Wow are these things bad news.
GO TO THE CHRISTIAN BOOK STORE AND GET THE RECOVERY BIBLE WHEN I LOSS MY SON  THIS AMAZING BOOK GOT ME THROUGH , LET GO AND LET GOD !!! PERCOCENT IS NOT LETTING YOU LIVE FREE ITS BONDAGE  HOLDING YOU BACK FROM REAL LIFE!! LIFE IS TO SHORT  ENJOY LIFE AND BE THANKFUL EVERYDAY , THERE ARE  PEOPLE  WHO WISH THEY HAD A CHANCE FOR LIFE!!!!!! GOD BLESS
Everyone that has problem with getting off of pain meds use Ativan that is what they use in most.places to get you off pain med 2mg every 4 to 6 hour for the first two days then go down to 1mg every 4 to 6 hours for two days now I am not a doc but it works
My comment is this....  I am 14 days clean from percs.  today.  I started like everyone else does.  Back pain from years of construction. 5mg 3x a day to 1-1/2 years later 180 10mg per month was not enough so I became to buy 30s behing my docs back. At my peak I was at 180-10s, 30-45 30s and 35 5s per month. The real trouble began when I started mixing the sleeping pills.  At the end of my journie I ran out, couldn't buy more and my script wasn't to refill for a week...  I made the decision to stop then. I figured I would go cold turkey and if I took sleeping pills I could cover the pain from the W/D.  NOT!!!!!  I woke up in the hospital with tubes in me!   14 days later I am clean and feeling better.  Still not 100% but better and more important alive!  I did go to the doc for help and with clonidine for the shakes and Advil to try to cover the pain you can do it to. Everyone is different and my addiction is my own experience however, going thru this opens a new door for everyone.  You can do it and need to do it fast. If not, look forward to 2-3 weeks of complete HELL!!!!    Good luck. Stay strong, stay positive!  
IM 25 yrs old and I'm addicted to percocet. I've been addicted for a year and I snort them about ten a day. I want off and I don't think I'm strong enough I have three young kids to take care of. The worst part is feeling sick at work. I can't take time off  because I can't afford it. I want my life back but I don't know how to do it. my kids need me and I need the old me. Can anyone help me with advice please I'm struggling for help. I don't have insurance so I can't afford medicine
hi and welcome dswift...this is an old thread so you should post a new one....got to the top of the page and click "ask a question".  It doesn't have to be a question....just post for support....we can help you thru the WDs...this site is awesome for support and info....just let us know what your symptoms are and we can help you get thru them.  It will be a tough few days but you can get thru them...we can help....it's kind of slow tonight but someone will post when you start a new thread....good luck and just hang tough!!  
I want to destroy even the idea of opiates. I know that it is unrealistic. If there had not been any such drugs I have no idea how I would have survived 3 different surgeries, one involving the removal of a BODY ORGAN. I was dying, there wasn't a choice. But, being on opiates for 18 months for 4 herniated discs in my spine was a ridiculous idea. Why didn't the doc tell me the possibility that getting off this **** would be more unpleasant than living in chronic pain?  He didn't even make the decision. I said to him myself that the pain is better than the f-ing side effects of this stuff. Sometimes that is not the case, as when my cousin was dying of cancer. He needed the meds more than anything else. It would have been horribly in humane not to drug the living hell out of him IMO. But me?  I've been tapering for 8 months!  Off the morphine, off the dilaudid, now on about 10mg of Percocet/day. I just want to stop and go to zero but that is not an option for me. I also have multiple sclerosis. I NEED to be on an immuno-modifier. If I go underweight, I am pulled off my treatment. Meaning, I'm already feeling like hell and am so sick of this ridiculously drawn out process, but if I can't eat or sleep for 5-7 days, I risk getting pulled off my MS meds, which is not anywhere close to a viable option. I don't want to die, and don't feel depressed or suicidal over this withdrawal. I feel ANGRY and vaguely HOMICIDAL towards others.
Has anyone heard of the Thomas recipe. I'm trying to taper down in order to relieve the withdrawls symptoms . Can someone help me with how to taper down? Do I decrease by 1 pill a day? I'm on 10 oxycodone a day. Thank u very much
I have been taking 240mg of oxycodone plus 240mg of oxycottin for 5yr. For my back surgery that is not healed correctlt. My pain Dr. got in trouble & i couldn't get my scripts before he closed his office. Now I went to my family Dr & they won't help me, they told me I just had to deal with the withdrawals..I can't go to the emergency room because I'm n emt classes & hav to do my clinicals @ the same hospital. That would  not look good for me. I only hav 3 weeks of class left. Plus a family &a full time job I'm really @ my last straw I love my kids & my husban. I don't know if I can deal with this any more. I do have an appointment with a new pain Dr. in 15 days. I can't take any vacation because the other girl in my area is leaving for 10days & I can't take off.  Any suggestings. Please. Just trying to survive to make matters more ironic my name really is Angel but I really don't feel like one.
Is that the only hospital you can go to? If you have been on that high of a dose for 5 years it will be tough. Maybe you could call your new P.M. doc and explain it to him?
BTW your posting on a string that was posted 5 years ago. Click on the "Ask Question" bar at the top of the screen. I know what your going through, are you out right now?
It seems ridiculous to ask this question based on the amounts that I am reading here, but how bad, if at all, do you guys think withdrawals off of 20-30mg of Percocet a day be?
I need help coming off them too without it affecting my day to day life. I'm so scared. I'm reading all these comments and feeling better about it though. We can do this. The trouble is I have a hip replacement surgery coming up and I wonder if I should wait til after the surgery to come off?
Thanks for that info!!! How are you doing now? I am wanting to come off the Peres I have been on for years for terrible pain from broken back and surgeries and I have a hip replacement coming up in the new year. Do I try coming off these now or wait til after the surgery?
Hi!  This is a very old thread.  If you go to the top of the page and click on Post a New Question you can start a new thread.  Nobody is going to really notice you on this one and we would really love for you to join our family.  Lots of love and support here.  Please post a new thread :-)