Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
CPS Involvement

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

CPS Involvement

Has anyone ever had an experience with CPS involvement after their baby tested positive for hydrocodone?
Well, it all depends on whether your dr knew about you using. If he was aware then you should have nothing at all to worry about. Some hospitals make it a standard proceedure to contact them. They will most likely ask you some questions, find out your plan of attack for getting off them. But they should work with you. However, if you did not tell your dr you could possibly lose the child to them for a period of time. Mostly involves you getting clean, rehab, aftercare.. If your dr didn't know, I suggest you do offer to go to rehab. They may let you keep the baby with a 24 hour supervised plan. Is the baby withdrawing?
I am only 32 weeks. I finally told my ob that i had been taking them for my back pain. I do have back problems and it's getting more intense with the baby growing and it's the worse while im trying to sleep. I had some left over from previous prescriptions and the only reason I took them was b/c the doc that prescribed them last told me it was ok to take during pregnancy. I knew nothing about the baby may have withdrawals but I have not taken any since week 28 and was only taking 1-5mg a day before bed time during my 2nd trimester. I know now since I told her they will probably drug test the baby and I'm pretty sure if it comes back positive they are required to turn it in to CPS. Im just scared to death. I'm not an addict but I would be willing to do whatever I have to, either that being counseling or rehab.
As long as you are being honest with everyone involved you should be okay.  Have you had issues with drug abuse?
No I have not.
That is good thing!!!

Usually CPS is contacted when the babies test positive and nothing has been said.  
You quit at 28 weeks, the baby will not test positive IMO. The stress you are feeling is not good for the baby. It will be okay. You are one with the child, it feels what you feel. If you aren't feeling withdrawals, neither is the baby. Try not to worry. You want your baby to be happy and healthy, right? Being connected, the best way to assure they feel healthy and happy, is for you to feel healthy and happy. Eat good and get some exercise, listen to your favorite song, I wouldn't worry about it, now that the OB knows. Congrats on the new family member, your little bundle of surprises will be just fine.
What nice words from weaver.  I second them.  Sometimes I wish there was a "like" button on this site :-)
I second Weaver as well...you have been off of them for a month...if you aren't having WD's, then baby shouldn't be either.  Stay strong.  Do not stress.  You should be fine especially since you already spoke to your OB about the situation.  God Bless you and your little one!
Thank you for the kind words.  Just hard to get off my mind and I have 2 months to go.  I mentioned to the doc that I was worried about cps getting involved.  She said they would if I have been taking them everyday.  
And I know meconium testing can go back pretty far.  I'm confused with that too.  I know it starts forming between 12-16 weeks but some say anything can be detected between then and I've seen after 20 weeks.  
Honestly, you're worrying for nothing.

The good news is, you're not taking them anymore, you don't have an addiction problem (thank goodness!), and your doctor is aware of everything.  You're a-ok!  Quit worrying about this, including details about meconium testing.  As long as you've been 100% forthcoming with your doc, it wouldn't matter!

Best to you, here's hoping for an EASY delivery and a healthy and happy baby!  :0)