Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Can Imodium(immodium) help with Norco withdrawals?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Hi, it’s me again… I know everyone is busy getting ready to watch the big game and it’s the weekend, so I don’t expect a ton of responses (if any). I’ve been reading some stuff online about using Imodium (immodium) to help ease withdrawals. As I taper from Norco, my worse symptom (besides the mental anxiety and fear) is definitely the restless, creepy-crawly legs and body. I take hot Epsom baths and they do help. But man, if there were something to help take the edge off as I continue to lower my dose, that’d be amazing. I realize many people take Imodium (immodium) to help with their stomach issues during a detox... I'm more curious about any other benefits it may have. Anyone have experience with this? Wishing you all a wonderful Superbowl Sunday!  
Congrats to you!! The only benefits you will recieve from Imodium (immodium) will be on the anti-diarrheal end. It has no other benefit. Hope that helps!!
Hi there! It is slow on weekends, and I can't answer that, as I only took one dose of immodium, but since it's slow and I know the desperation of this, I wanted to share that I have read many people saying it helped with other symptoms as well.

I hope someone chimes in to correct me, but I think immodium is a type of opiate, that simply doesn't cross the blood brain barrier.

I watched a documentary about a year ago, where teens were actually claiming to get high from immodium by doing some "surgery" on it to get it to cross the blood brain barrier. It's the craziest thing I ever heard, and one of the scariest. I mean, these are our future leaders out there doing this!

But the show said immodium could be a powerful narcotic if the drug companies modified it to cross the BBB and a few other things, as it apparently has a strong affinity for the receptor sites.

But on here, I have read many people using to combat wd symptoms, the way it's supposed to be taken. Personally I just didn't want to not be able to go to the bathroom!

It may help, but it's not magic, there are going to be some bad days.
You tapered quickly to your present dose. If you continue to taper so fast, your going to prolong your WD symptoms. But it's great you involved your hubby, who is handing out your pills.

I would for sure have immodium on hand, then, for the other issues, just try for yourself to see if it helps.
You're doing great. Keep it up!

Again, I welcome people who know more about immodium to correct me. I'm no expert on immodium! :)
Thanks for the responses from you both!!! Barb, I've heard that it helps some people as well... maybe it does, or maybe they think it's helping them, tricking their mind. Sort of like a placebo - whatever it takes I suppose! That's crazy that kids are making a narcotic out of it. Then again, kids are using bath salts to get high as well. I'm glad I wasn't exposed to any of that stuff when I was in high school. How things have changed... and that just officially made me sound old. Haha. Hopefully during the week some more people that have tried it will have some input. Thanks again!  
Lol, I'm really old!

I have a 16 y/o daughter. She is honest with me about her encounters with drugs. She told me she has been offered to buy Herion twice in school. I never saw Herion in my life. And she's in the richest school in the district -- she is driven out of district. This isn't an inner city school. Scares me to death.
She also has seen kids huffing stuff in the bathroom, and an OD of the K2 stuff, only the synthetic meth not pot, and the child died.
It makes me want to home school her.

Because she sees a psychiatrist, she is drug tested, and it's always been ok, but the peer pressure scares me for her, and the strength of drugs compared to when we were in school.

I so believe you're right about placebo affects! If your mind thinks it will help, I believe it does to an extent with some meds.
They did a horrible experiment on our vets at a hospital years ago telling them they were getting one thing, but actually giving a sugar pill. But many reported it worked. It infuriated me reading it though. Vets are not lab rats.

Good luck!
Hi I have read immodium works for belly issues as well as other things. Something abt the way its made. I have heard it works very well for those things bc it have things nartocits have in them just not the narco.
Hi Barb is pretty much right  about this.Imodium (immodium) was supposedly invented as a pain killer in the same family as demerol.They realized later that it would not cross the blood brain barrier in sufficient amounts to provide pain relief.It does however attach to opiate receptors in the body and intestine(so it was remarketed as an antidiarrheal).I believe that an amount does cross the bbb in some people if taken in high doses(say 5-10 x normal dose).I tried it on day 3 and it worked very well for me(I am definitely not a placebo type of person though I often wish I were).
The problem for you however is that you are tapering and on a decent dose of hydro still.You can't use imodium (immodium) every day for the obvious reasons.This may be a useful trick to get you through a rough day but not until you are done with you taper and have jumped.I have also read in many forums where people have become addicted to imodium (immodium) by itself. Good luck on your taper and on getting clean
Barb is correct about tapering fast. If you do, then you will def feel the withdrawal symptoms once you get to a lower dose cause, the lower the dose, the more poweful the withdrawal is going to feel. One is suppose to taper where the body hardly feels anything. Please go slow, I tapered fast last year and BOOM the withdrawal hit like a MACK truck!
the idea of tapering is to drop SMALL amounts and then wait 4 or more days to drop again.  This gives your body time to reset itself.  Small steps.
I have read people say that they were seriously kicking from wds and 20 or so Imodium (immodium) had them feeling ok in a few hours. Junkies have used it to tide them over when they run out, and they know a trick to make it cross the bbb. Lets just say I've obsessively researched wds and did not discriminate where I looked for info :)

I took Imodium (immodium) when tapering and quitting and I have to think it helped, as I am kicking a bit now that I stopped it. I thought all that restlessness was behind me. I had some abdominal discomfort, but I thought that if you had just stopped an opiate, it wouldn't stop you up, just keep you from trotting. Thanks to Barb (thanks, Barb!) I realize I just plain took it too long and it really was giving me pain. Now that's all gone but my skin is crawling a bit :( oh well... It'll be over soon :)

Bottom line, I suspect it does help more than the diarrhea. But of course your mileage may vary. And I don't recommend taking it long-term not only because it can mess with your gut but because it really can be addicting. I googled some more and found some heartbreaking posts by people who took it way longer than I did and found themselves in full blown opiate withdrawals when they tried to stop. Not making this up! One guy had quit "real" opiates but was having no success quitting Imodium (immodium)! And he wasn't even taking them to get high, he had started taking them to avoid wds, as I recall :(
I found that Immodium not only helped with the trots, but also took the edge of some of my other physical symptoms such as sweating and achey (achy) legs.   I didn't take large doses of it either.   A couple every few hours the first couple days then started taking out doses.   I didn't want to take too much for fear of getting backed up.   But yes, I do believe that because it binds in the intenstinal tract similar to an opiate, that some of the residual physical side effects disappear since it is helping slow down the bodies withdrawal process.   It also helped me to have somewhat of an appetite too.    Everyone's withdraw symptoms are different but similar.   What works for some may not work for others.  
I took 20mg of Immodium the first time when my sons birthday was at a water park. I couldn't imagine the runs, the aches, the fog, not to mention being in direct sunlight all day. It helped with all around symptoms. I only did that a few time, only when I absolutely needed to be in public all day. I wanted my body to heal for real, but in a pinch, they saved my butt, literally.
This is all VERY helpful - Thank You!!! I'm doing OK today - slept through the entire night without needing a bath... So, as I continue my taper, I will definitely keep Imodium (immodium) on hand to see if it helps, but just on those extra awful days. I have a few mandatory weekend trips coming up to visit my husband's family and one where I really have to be on top of my game because it's for his work - and I have to play "Perfect Wife" for the whole weekend. Yah me, Stepford Wife of the year. If they only knew... I know that I'm only down to 6 Norcos/day and that I will be experiencing a lot more withdrawal symptoms on my course to getting clean. But I figured out why I my initial taper hit me so hard. First, I jump from 15 Norcos/day to just 6. So, there's that. PLUS, and this really slipped my mind because I didn't think much of it... before my last surgery, I was taking 4mg of Suboxone/day ON TOP of my pills. I was doing that for 2 weeks leading up to the surgery because it was helping me walk, then quit CT after I had my procedure. After reading everyone's comments on my last post about Suboxone, I realize now, that I've been coming off that as well - being it's in your system for 21 days. No wonder my withdrawals were killing me a couple days ago! Thanks to all of you again!!!!  
Hi there! I just wanted to let all of you know that Imodium (immodium) did wonders for me. I got into a really bad accident when I fainted behind the wheel on a highway and drove under a tractor trailer. The truck ran me over and sent me flying into the air. I ended up with 2 broken legs. Left legs was broken in half by the ankle and the right leg was broken in half under the knee. After 8 surgeries in less then a month they had me on some strong narcotics. I ended up having a really strong addiction to them. I wanted to get off because it was causing me many problems and a few times I ended up in the ER because of the seizures. I started group and they wanted to put me on subs. I  figured whats the point if at the end I would have to go through withdrawal from them too and I have no insurance. I read online about Immodium and taking it in high doses. Today is the 5th day since I stopped taking the narcotics  and I haven't felt any physical withdrawal symptoms. It does take it about an hour to start working. It helped me a lot. I just hope it helps you guys too. Sorry for my grammar this  is the first time I have ever posted on a forum after reading so many of them. I'm a little bit nervous about posting. Good luck to you all!
I'm on Day 2 after being on Morphine 50 mg for the last 3 months about, and the WDs were pretty bad last night, so I took quite a bit of Immodium and so far I've been semi-functional today, Im just worried that as mentioned, when the Immodium runs it's course am I going to feel worse again? @A@ agh. I'm kind of scared. I stopped taking Morph at about 12pm sunday and now it's Wednesday so I guess I'm hoping that my 3rd day symptoms will be lightened by the immodium and I won't be worse afterword ~wish me luck~ aghdfklj.
I was cautioned about immodium and therefore only took a dose once a day for three days during WD.
What were you cautioned about, just out of curiosity?
how many did u take? and it took away all of ur withdrawl (withdrawal) symptons? can u email me more info about ur experience as i have to go thru this n have 4 kids to look after. ***@**** thank you
In large doses Loperamide does get rid of withdrawals. It's no placebo. When I was in rouble, I used it and although I'd did not get a buzz off of it, I kind of had a strange medicated feeling. There is no placebo going on here. Google it and you will see the endless claims. Plus, do you really think you can placebo your way through hard core withdrawal?! I doubt it my friend. This stuff works. It seems to take a bit longer to kick in than if you took your DOC so many claim that it is better to take it a little before going into withdrawal. Lope does cross the blood brain barrier but nearly all is pushed back, note I said nearly all. There is an argument that when larger doses are taken less is pushed pack. Of course you have to be very careful taking extremely large doses. There is a guy on YTube showing people how to avoid withdrawal and takes up to 100 Lope. I personally would never take this amount, I think it's way to much but people are doing it all the same. I would not want to become dangerously I'll. when I have detoxed in the past, I have refrained from using Lope because I was concerned that it might prolong withdrawal and believe it or not, there are people addicted to it, or rather dependant on it. I am on day one of withdrawal today, decided that I am done with opiates....it all started with a genuine reason as with many. I am going the lope route this time around because I really can't afford to be in bed sick. Although, I trust the Lope will work, I am concerned about how easy it will be to come off and so I am being careful, trying to use only as much as is needed and plan to reduce the number frequently.