Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Can Trazodone or Hydroxyzine Be Used To Get High?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

My significan other has post traumatic stress disorder, major depression, and generalized anxiety disorder. In the past he has abused drugs prescribed to him -mostly klonopin. Recently he was released from the hospital on suicide watch (after a scary attempt). He has been given a new set of medications and I'm concerned about whether or not they can be used to get "high". My love is prone to this type of drug-abusing behavior. I'm also concerned about whether or not he could use these drugs to commit suicide. ANY information you have about either of these things would be such a help! I'm very worried for him!

The drugs that have been prescribed are:

Trazodone (Desyrel)
Hydroxyzine (Vistaril)
Amitriptyline (Elavil)

Thanks!!!
Kathy
hi. individually these meds can produce hypotension, seizures, coma, and liver toxicity in an overdose. when combined with each other, other meds, or especially alcohol, the complications can be fatal. if at all possible, a simple method to deal with this would be to dispense the meds to your husband yourself, and to be aware of any other medication or alcohol consumption. enough of any medication can cause irreversible damage or death, and if your husband is expressing suicidal actions and/or thoughts, close supervision would be highly advisable. hope this helps and take care,  gm
I know about trazadone, i was on 350mg twice a day it but me down for the count so to speak, Drinking on any of these is dangerous, I would say you could commit suicide on these. The frist post was correct you control the drugs and give them out as ordered ok!! Good Luck
I too, am in the same boat as you. I have a boyfriend that is on trazodone, Hydroxyzine, and prozac. I thought he was doing fine with just the prozac but the doctor added to the mix. Since then, he walks around like a zombie and can't seem to eat enough food. Plus, he always looks stoned. What also *****, is he doesn't remember any of it in the morning.  His memory is blank. Alcohol is also part of the problem as well. I would have to say he has an addictive personality. Sometimes the doctors just make things worse. What most people really need is therapy, not drugs! My boyfriend wasn't able to get to any of the alcohol in the house, because we locked it up, and he doesn't have a car. So it was all meds that did this to him again last night.
What my boyfriend needs is detox. So that he can get all the meds out of his system and start fresh with therapy. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I too took away his pills. I was better with the arrangement but it made him feel like less of a man. HELP!!! I am about to give up on him.