Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Can a soar throat be caused by an opiate (painkiller) based withdrawal?...

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Can a soar throat be caused by an opiate (painkiller) based withdrawal?

I was prescribed to Tramadol for chronic back pain recently.  My first prescription was 100 50mg pills, and I was told to take 2 twice daily.  When the prescription ran out, I thought the pain in my back might have disappeared.  A week later it came back full force, so I asked my doctor for more Tramadol.  He prescribed me to another prescription, this time 120, with the same directions.  I depleted the bottle down to 20 within a month and half and went on vacation for a few days and left them at home.  A day into the vacation I started to get a really scratchy, swollen throat.  It lasted until I took my next dose of the medication.  Almost like magic the soar throat disappeared.  I skipped the Tramadol for a second time for a day and half and the soar throat returned.  Instead of taking the Tramadol, I tried a few different tactics.  I took some Dayquil and Nightquil (not at the same time of course) and that didn't help a single bit.  Then I tried some samples of Allegra D that my Fiance' had because I thought maybe it was allergies.  Once again it had no effect.  I went back to the final few pills of the tramadol and again it worked miracles on my throat.  At this point, I have gone a week without any Tramadol and my throat is still on fire.  I haven't had any allergy problems in my life but I understand you can easily contract them.  All I really need to know is whether Tramadol withdrawal can cause a nasty soar throat.  I definitely do not want to take any more until I have a result.  My doctor tells me he isn't sure.  (He's the kind of doctor that listens only to the drug reps......)

Any help would be great, Thanks!
only thing i know is during drug withdrawals people get sick alot with respiratory infections and tummy bugs..it does not sound like u r in wd tho so i am not sure why ur throat continues to hurt...get off the trams as it can cause alot more trouble than a sore throat
Thanks worried878.  I'll definitely get off them.  I may just stick with Advil 800's.  I'll just see if I can ride out the soar throat.