Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Can anyone help with a Suboxone taper??

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Can anyone help with a Suboxone taper??

I am currently on 8-12mgs of Suboxone, daily. I am also in an Outpatient Drug group that after 9 mos. is now telling me that I can not be on this drug, even though it makes no sense. It is a recovery based drug, and it's been a miracle for me(4 yrs sober from heroin). Regardless, due to parole and other things, it looks like it's going to be a must, and wondered if anyone else out there has had any success with this, and if so, how??
I'm down to 8mgs a day, and already it's no joke. Alot of anxiety, etc.

Let me know if you need more clarification. Thanks in advance,
   Christopher (forman)
christopher,
First off 4 years off heroin is amazing . There have been many here that have tapered off of sub. You can do it .I would ask your sub doctor to work out a taper plan with you .I hear its best to go all of the way down to a crumb of sub then go off it.How long are you going to have to come off of if?
Dropping down from 8 mgs to 4 mgs is easier than going from 4 mgs to 0 mgs. So you can drop fairly quick til you get to 4 mgs. Talk to your doc about a taper plan. Best to drop about 1/2 mg every 1-2 weeks. Wait til your body adjusts to the lower dose before dropping again. When you get down to 1/2 mg daily, then you drop to a crumb, then a crumb every other day. Take your time with the taper. Slow and low is best. Good luck.
I don't know if dropping from 8mgs is the same, but for me, when I was on 4mgs, dropping to 2mgs felt NO different.  I stayed on 2mgs for about a year, and then I dropped to 1mg.  Still no difference at all.  I am currently at the point where I literally break a piece off and it works all day.  Yesterday was the first day that I felt good all day without taking anything.  Sleeping was a b*tch, but I used a .5mg of Ativan that I had.  I woke up today REALLY anxious, so I took another sliver of Sub.  My plan is to only take a tiny piece when I feel I need it.  I am going to talk to my doctor about getting supplemental medications to help while I am tapering, such as Clonodine and some kind of SSRI to get my receptors making their own chemicals again.  I don't have all the answers yet, but I'm working on it.
Lynn -- Way to go Lynn. I am so happy to hear how low you've gotten and how you are taking control of your usage.  Using a tiny bit only when needed !  That is great news.

Christopher -- you have to taper man.  Jumping from 8-12MG after 4 years is not going to be pretty..  Discuss taper with your doctor.    
To Everybody.....

Thank you sooo much, for all of the advice & support so far! Each one of your stories or suggestions had something I could use, almost unbelievable, but do I ever appreciate it.

I'll be back later with an update, and some comments/questions that are a little more clarifying. Again, thanks for taking the time.
  Sincerely, Christopher (forman)