Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Can children get addicted to Tylenol with codeine?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

My 2 1/2 year old son broke his arm a week ago. To help control his pain and discomfort the Orthopaedic Surgeon prescribed him Tylenol with codeine. My son has been taking it every 4-8 hours for almost a week. I'm a little worried about what this could be doing to his little body. Could he be getting addicted? Is it possible that he could suffer withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms when he stops taking it?
Taking it as prescribed for a short time should not cause addiction or withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms. He may get diarraeh after stopping the med and may be a little cranky.. He should be fine.. a short time of a week or two should not be a problem..
It may constipate him, as the one thing I DO know is that codeine is very constipating ( is that even a word, LOL????). Ask Duchess Golden...lic psych and knows ALOT about addiction, and just to be safe ( even though I don't doubt anyone on this forum) I would ask her! Make a separate post to her and she'll get back to you, I'm sure!
My EX friend, had a little 3 yr old girl that broke her arm really bad.  She was on liquid hydrocodone all the time, for over a month, and stopped it suddenly, and had not one single issue.
He'll be just fine.  And, liquid tylenol w/codeine, is soooooo weak.  It takes three full teaspoons, to equal one tylenol w/codeine pill.

Rebecca~..~
Thank you so much. You've all put my mind at ease a little bit. One less thing I have to worry about.
when i was a child i was addicted to tylenol. I always thought it was the sweet candy like flavor with the sugary  consistency but i never knew codeine was in it, that could be part of why i always faked stomach aches for it. i still crave the taste of it to this day, 8 years later