Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Can using Hydrocodone ES, as little as 1-4 a day, cause hot flashes?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I was wondering if I need to get on HRT meds or if using opiates causes periodic hotflash/sweating? It comes and goes all day and all night...I was told only menopause(had hysterectomy 10 yrs ago) causes hot flashes/sweating but I didn't have it while I was 30+ days without pain meds. I just started a couple weeks ago at low does(compared to before).
So, basically has anyone had periodic sweating with the pain meds or is it menopause??? Could it be a combo of both???
Can't say about meno, but, as I'm sure you know, vic WD features days and days of hot sweats/cold sweats/in between sweats. Even though you're using only 3 or 4 a day NOW, you have undoubtedly awakened your old dragon with the big appetite. You could be experiencing WD in between or despite doses.

Thomas
I'm sorry my reply does not offer any insight to the thread topic. :( I am facing a heavey WD session this weekend. I attepmted to go cold turkey last weekend 4 days off and releapsed this week tapering this week taking substitutes of my DOC this week has me feeling like **** all week. Turkey skin and the runs all week taking just enough of the substitute to be able to function at work. Preparing to kick cold turkey over my 3 days off this weekend. I know the last of it will have me at work on my 4th day. Hoping that tapering with pills this week and the Thomas recipe will make the WDs easier than last week's cold turkey experience.I want to thank the creator of the Thomas recipe. Thank you! I think the vitimin supplements, baths and Immodium will really help. I never would have known which vitimins and suppliments would help me recover. My only regret is the lack of Valiums and or other sleep inducing non-opioid pills may make it a little more difficult. Is Nyquil a good substitute? Any over the counter sleep aids? Names and doses would help. That stuff usually knocks me out pretty good. But it may be a little harder during WDs rather than just being legitimatly sick. I stumbled onto this site yesterday and wow! You guys are great, supportive and non judgemental. Keep up the good work. You are really helping eachother and me as well.
My significant other is in the same boat and will be going along on the ride with me. We both weasled a 3 day weekend this week and have been using and tapering exactly the same way. Wish us luck this weekend. It sure is hard not to break down when you feel so bad and know the cure is readily available. We just can't live like we have the last 5 months. We know whats best for us and have to make this work this weekend. After our last dry up for xmas vacation to spend with relitives we picked up smoking cigs. Damn! something else to quit now. I am not going to attempt that this weekend though. One vice at a time. Thank you all again. And a reply on the sleep aids would be appriciated. Is alcohol out of the question? I hear they even take chocolate away from you in rehab. Can I have chocolate?  It cant be that bad.  
Thanks again,

Obnoxious Bob
Vic, I'm 47 and I have them. This is interesting, now that you've mentioned this. I've had no percocets for 12 days now.At night I need it chilly because I'd rather shiver under the blankets then be hot. But I still have to keep throwing the quilt on and off all thru the night, lol.
cannedheels
Hi Bob, and welcome to the forum. You're right, there is a lot of support here.  I've been here about 4 months, and I don't know what would have become of me if it wasn't for the genuine concern and caring of these folks, not to mention all the good advice.  Congrats to you and your mate for making this decision. I was never brave enough to go cold turkey, but I tapered from a 10-12 vicodin habit down and holding to 4 a day.  The nyquil may be beneficial to you while you're going through this; some nights when I'm craving vicodins after I've already had my "quota", I'll take a dose before bedtime. It's helpful, although some people would probably say you could be trading one bad habit for another. But to me, it's preferable to alcohol (although Nyquil has an amount of alcohol in it); but since I'm trying to keep my head out of the Jack Daniels bottle...well...smile.  My doctor gave me a prescription for ambien (a sleeping pill), but after asking about it on the forum and learning of its addictive nature and rebound effects, I'm scared to start using it. Some people have good results taking natural sleeping aids like valerium and melatonin.  As for the chocolate, IMO - indulge! It will make you feel like you're pampering yourself. (Valentine chocolates are half price now at the drugstores!!!!)...heh-heh Please keep us updated on your progress. I wish you the best. Wanting to get clean is half the battle.  Don't forget about Thomas' recipe.  Hopefully, I'm not giving you bad advise about the Nyquil, but I know it's helpful to me (although - isn't it about the nastiest s*** you've ever tasted?)....yuk!  Take care and good luck.  Love, Lisabet
Bob,

Welcome to the forum! Good idea to catch this at the 5 month mark and not the 5 year mark.
Now on to the sleep question. Nyquil may help for sleep. I am not sure how it will do during withdrawals. You have to remember though, alcohol, after metabolization, turns into sugar. Ever notice how you generally wake up a little earlier than usual after a night out drinking(not stumbling drunk, just drinking casually). It is because the alcohol in your syste mmetabolizes into sugar and wakes you up...-ever notice when you are hung-over, no matter how tired you are, you can't get back to sleep- same idea. Just food for thought...
Something that works for me is Diphenhydramine, it is found in Sominex or Tylenol PM. I say stick with the sominex. I am sure you system has had enough Tylenol for a while.
In fact, for everyone out there still using/abusing. You might want to give Milk Thistle a little thought. It really helps the liver. Seeing as how Tylenol is killing it, anything to help it would be nice. GNC makes a whole Liver formula that has Milk Thistle in it as well other ingredients that help the liver. Milk Thistle is PROVEN to help the liver and regenerate cells. It is the only product that I know of that is PROVEN to help like this, from a herbal standpoint. Just food for thought...
Chezz
The sominex will help some but my experience is to take just a little, like half what they recommend, as it can have opposite effect and make you jitterry.  

Chezz - good suggestion on the Milk Thistle.  I have also found that N-Acyel-Cyestine (NAC) helps protect the liver.  This is what hospitals give for tylenol overdose.  You can buy this at vitamin stores like GNC.  It goes by NAC.
Nod
I forgot to mention.
GABA is a natural Valium that seems to work well for sleep as well.
I have read numerous "white papers" as well as seen the chemistry breakdown enough to convince me that it is very, very closely related to Valium in the natural form. I have used it during detox a couple times, and it seems to take some of the anxiety away and help with sleep.
Give it a try...
Chezz
bob welcome to the fourm, my name is michael
and i got clean off a 15 a day vike habit here at this
fourm last year on march 1st, 02. a year next week.
with the great help  of thomas's receipe.
mentioning the chocolate, it has a ton of cafeen in it and will
most likely keep you awake at night.
benadryl is good for sleep along with the things mentioned by chezzz.  GOOD LOCK AND KEEP POSTING.
PEACE !HIPPY.
vicqueennomore, the night serats are normalwhile taking 3 or 4 pills. they should go away in a short time.
peace!!!!!!!!!!! michael/////hippy
Glad to see you both on the board with your always excellant input.
Chezz - hope you're doing ok; thinking about you.
hippee - almost one year clean!  Fantastic!
Kudos and good luck to you both. You both (along with Bodymechanic, Suzie, Mrs. Rat, Rex, Thomas and so many others) have been a constant source of inspiration to me.  People like you is what has given this board a heart!  Love you all, Lisabet
You're right, pal. Shows what I know! I was thinking of GHB. I have one caveat about GABA capsules, though. Feel free to check it out on the net, but what I've read about it indicates that very little GABA makes it into the brain in the appropriate form. When GABA crosses the blood brain barrier, it's converted mostly into an inert substance. I have most of a 100 cap bottle of the stuff sitting on my desk to prove it. Believe me, if it worked anything like a real benzo, I'd have cleaned out every store for 100 miles in every direction!

Obnoxious Bob, don't you have, say, a maiden aunt with some Valium laying around? I really wish there was a good alternative. Phenobarbital would work, but of course it's Rx. Valerian Root will have a calming effect, just not as dramatic as a benzo.

Thomas
Hi Bob. Good luck this weekend! As for a sub for the recipe's Valium, in all honesty, there really isn't a good one unless you mean another benzo such as Klonopin, Librium, Xanax, Ativan. Some people have used Valerian Root extract from the health food store as a calmative. It's mild, but there is an effect. If you choose Valerian, check the ingrediants. Buy the stuff with the highest amount of Valerianic Acid per capsule (the active ingrediant).

As for OTC sleep aids, nite time Nyquil might help. However, the tricky thing about Nyquil is that it's loaded with, among other things, pseudoephedrine. If you don't go to sleep right away, the pseudoephedrine will wire you up. Additional doses will probably just do the same. That's the last thing you need right now. I would grab some plain Benedryl. It's an antihistimine and will definately put you down.

Remember not to use the L-tyrosine until your WD symptoms have subsided. That is usually 5 days into a cold turkey detox. If you use it sooner, it will just add to your anxiety.

Drink lots of water now, as you're probably dehydrated from a week of the runs. Please use the Imodium (immodium) aggressively. It's totaly effective. Spend the weekend in a hot bath. Let us know how you're doing!

Thomas
Chezz is right about the GABA, although I can't speak from experience. Whatever GABA makes it into your brain acts on the same area of the brain as Valium (and alcohol). However, in the US, GABA is, I believe, a Schedule 1 (illegal) controlled substance. It's got a nasty reputation as a date rape drug and there have been fatalities attributed to GABA OD's.

Thomas
Where have u been?  Plz e-mail me at ***@****  My e-mail is up and running again.  I have worried about  u.  
Luv,
Suzie
Here I am 15 hours into it. Dont laff. I know its no time at all and far from the thick. I have been uncomfortably awake all day Sweating and goosebumps are the norm for me but the anxiety is the worst. Appears that GABA is available at local health stores here in Arizona. Do you suppose this is the same GABA?
Bob
That is the right GABA. I think Thomas was mistaking it for GHB which is a little different in nature and fully described as he did. Date rape drug, ect.
GABA is safe and natural.
Chad

Thanks Suz. I will email you when I get a chance.
thanx lizbet
peace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hippy
Comment for you under "Withdrawal while still on the drug A(valium)"

Hope you are well,

Dancing in the Dark
That is a great way to go about it.  Take it as it comes.  Do what you must to get you through today.

Hope you are well,

Dancing in the Dark
Well here we are 32 hours into it. We went to a local bar last night to get out of the house,tie one on and see if any of my pillhead buddies were there. Scoring 5 valium  and 5 Xanax, came home 3v's for me and 2 for my wife. (She is less than half my body wieght easy.)Off to bed. Wow 10 hours of sleep! Nice. Hate being awake. Makes me think too hard. My wife seems to have the anxiety I had yesterday. I'm less anxious at the moment. Ready for hot bath and the Xanex. Should take care of us today. I'll worry about tommorrow when it gets here. No runs thanks to the imodium (immodium). Thought I'd keep you posted.

Bob
Welcome to the Forum;
I am happy to see that you were able to get some valiums, Going cold turkey is bad enough, but without any sleep it is 10x worse! I hope these get you through the worse of it. I am detoxing from methadone, down to 5 millagrams!!  This of all drugs is one of the worse to come off of. Especially when it comes to not sleeping!!  It could be months without much sleep.  Anyways, I am prepared, its not too bad right now I am getting some sleep so when needed I use melatonin. (helps some) But when I get down to 2mg to nothing I know I will need the valium and this will definitely help. Saving them for only when I absolutely need them.  Don't want to get messed up on something else!  Good luck with your detox (you &  your wife)

Sharon
Thanks for the encouragement. Yes I hear Methadone WD's are the worst. Gonna do my best not to find out. Day 4 cold turkey and 8 days off my DOC. Things could be much worse. Sleep would be nice but I seem to eek out 4-6 hours a night. Anxiety is my main prob. Stick in there I must say Tapering helped me a great deal over my last cold turkey attempt straight from my max habit. :) What is melatonin? Is it over the counter?

OB Bob

OB Bob
Day 5  Cold Turkey. Feeling  better. Picking up some Benedryl for a good nights sleep. (Hopefully) Thank you Sharon, Dancing, Thomas, Longtime, Chezz for riding this out with me, and kicking my ass when needed. Aches and pains going away. Goose bumps still there every once and awhile. Actually had energy and a want to do my favorite thing, play guitar. If it would stop raining I sure would like to get out on my motorcycle (another favorite pastime for me). Over the hump, seeing the light of day and it feels good. Now comes the hard part staying clean.

Thanks again.
Peace Love
Ob Bob
A few ppl on our Fiorinal thread (@ Drugabuse.com) were told by a neurologist that the best, non-addictive way to catch some zzzzz's while detoxing was to take 2 Benadryl before bed.  Apparently, with the generic it's about $3. for 100.  I tried it & it was **** up, lights out & hello Mr. Sandman!

Hope this helps.  At least it's safe & non-addictive.  Valium is not & when you go off it, one of those w/d's is insomnia.  This I know...oh, do I know.  Of course, taking a tiny bit for a very short period of time  shouldn't pose a problem but it's another addictive substance & I can't help but be wary as I've switched poisons all too easily over the yrs.

GOOD LUCK ALL!

Dancing (Actually Sleeping) in the Dark
Melatonin is over the counter.  It is a type of supplement that helps put you to sleep.  It works well for me and I have had heard others as well.  Unless it is major insomina. Then you will need something stronger.

Sharon
Bob,

I posted that all writing I said I would post when I found it. I posted it under the 3rd thread up above so it wouldn't get lost down here. I figured more newbies would be able to get something from it as well...hopefully.

I hope you are feeling better with the days gone by...

Chezz
I am 40 years old with a raging Vicoprofen addiction, and have
hot flashes on and off all the time.  I do believe it can cause sweating.
I too have addiction to vicoprofen and experience night sweats. I have been taking it for a year.  200 mg w/7.5 mg vicodin 4x daily or more.   I have been tapering this week trying to stop for good.  I'm just curious were you prescribed this for a medical condition?  I have lupus/fibromyalgia  and the first time I took vp was the first time and I have not had pain in 9 years. It worked much better than just vicodin or percocet or codeine, I guess because of the anti-iflamatory. But as we know it takes more and more to achieve that painless, euphoric state.  I am 45 year old mom blessed with a wonderful husband and 4 great kids.  Only I'm not such a great mom right now.  The muscle aches,chills, and malaise are the worst.  It's funny (not really) that withdrawal symptoms imitate my lupus/fibro symptoms.  I really can't talk to any of my family and friends about this because of fear they would not understand and not be able to love and trust me as they do now.  My husband is a deacon in our church and we are both very active in church and the community and I can't imagine things would be the same for me if I came clean about my addiction.  I would appreciate any suggestions or maybe a chatroom that I could go to.  Sometimes I need hourly help to stay out of the medicine cabinet.  Thanks for listening.
I also take vicodin for fibromyalgia.  I have been taking the vics for 2 years and they definitely help the fibro.  I would not be able to work full-time without them.  I am lucky that  so far I use as prescribed , which is 5mg 2x a day.  However, I struggle to stay at the self- imposed limit and Im always worring about it turning into abuse.

I was brought to this website to find info to help my husband who has been using about 400 mg of oxy per day.  He ran out 3 weeks ago and had to tell me about his addiction.  He has a history of all types of drug and alcohol abuse so this wasn

Hi thanks for your comments. I have trouble using computer on the weekends because of the kids and husband.  I am doing well tapering off.  Taking 1/2 a pill today.  I am glad that you are able to stay within your limits.  I pray your husband will be successful in getting off oxy.  I understand that is extremely addicting, I should never get ahold of those!  I will e-mail you to discuss fibro and treatments that you have tried.  My e-mail is ***@****.
O'kay here I go I have been addicted to lorcet 10\650 for almost three years.I want to quit but it is to hard with the wd's.I have only detoxed for three days at the most and then I start to flip from the anxiety.It's not so much the not sleeping or the going to the bathroom 10 times a day but the anxiety is a *****. My husband is also on them but not for a medical reason but just for the high.Me on the other hand I have a server back problem herniated discs and screws in my leg so it is even harder for me to get off when no over the counters help me at all.I wanted to have surgery but every doctors say that is not an option.At times I feel so helpless and like I just want to die I dont want to be touch by my husband or botherd by my son who is heaven on earth to me and knows of our addiction.What kind of example are we setting for him?Well we are taking one day at a time but I know that we will not get off them anytime soon for many stupid excusses.If anyone can help us with some words of wisdom I will be gratefull to them.Thanks alot desperate and confused
Sorry it's been so long since you asked your question, but this has only recently happened to ME TOO!  I had my hysterectory (total) in 2001 and have been on a low dose of HRT (estropipiate/Ogen) since then.  I have had occasion sweats since 2001.

Recently, due to a pretty nasty back injury, I've been give several types of pain meds with the last one being Oxycoco-Apap 10-325 tab (Percocet 10).  I have sweated and chilled myself nearly to death.  Yestesday - which was 2+ weeks into this prescribtion I decided to just stop taking it.  It's only been 25 hours and I must say I still don't know what to think.  Still sweating.  Still chilling.  

I talked to the prescribing doc on the phone today and he's booked up.  Wants me to wait for my regular appointment in 2 weeks.  Maybe by then (please God!) things will begin to setting down...except the back and hip pain, of course.

Wishing you the best of luck.  Hope we'll both get through this.  I'd love to communicate further with you but I'm not sure how this site works.  Catch me if you can!

Ann