Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Can you drink alcohol while on suboxone?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I was told a while back by someone that no way could you drink any alcohol while on suboxone, but I've heard of people doing it?
I was on Suboxone for alomost a month and there is no way I would drink while taking it.  I had read that mixing suboxone and alcohol could/would cause serious breathing problems.  You might want to check with your doctor about it before you do.
This is something you need to ask your doctor.
I t is a question u should ask ur doctor...u are not supposed to drink with any narcotics and sub is no different..but people do..u r also not supposed to drink with benzos/but people do...if u read the label or package insert of any narcotic, hydros, oxies, even darvacet...it says "do not drink alcohol"  all narcotics can suppress breathing ie slow it down...if a patient is having difficulty breathing in the hospital, they will not let him have the pain med until the respiratory status has stabled..often anxiety causes or worsens shortness of breat so often a small amount of a benzo will be given if anxiety is the cause...but with caution
As I explained in another post, I am studying to be a substance abuse counselor and mixing drugs causes the synergistic effect. For example, if one xanax equals one beer and you drink one beer, one would think that the effect would equal 2 beers. WRONG! "stacking" narcotics and tranquilizers is VERY dangerous due to the this effect. Drinking and taking Sub CAN be very dangerous but then again ask your doc. But also common sense would also tell one that this would be dangerous, but then again, I am an addict, I never listened to common sense! lol
I AM NOT A DOCTOR AND DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE DRINK WHILE TAKING ANY MEDICATION AT ALL..

That being said, I drank on occassion while on Suboxone and didn't have any issues at all..

Actually I think the naloxene in the Suboxone 1) made it so I rarely ever even wanted to drink (I mean I went on vacation to Key West and didn't even 'want' one of those fruity frozen umbrella drinks by the pool which is what I always said I wanted to do!) and 2) on the rare occcassion I did drink, I really didnt feel much of anything from the alcohol.  My tolerance to alcohol was way higher.  

This could be dangerous though.. I dont drink to get drunk but I would suspect if others have this effect from the Suboxone, it could get really dangerous..

Best to listen to what your doctor says and better to be safe than sorry.