Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Can't lose weight-is it the Norco???

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Can't lose weight-is it the Norco???

Does Hydrocodone keep you from losing weight?  I've never had a problem before I got stuck on this ****.  I've got a good 30 extra pounds I don't need.
I lost A TON of weight when i was taking them. i think because food would take away my "high" so i simply didnt eat and the energy rush made me gogogogogogo.  everyone is diferent thoe and we all react SO different to our D.O.C.  so you take them to relax, pain, to get a energy rush?  my friend takes them to calm down and if that is the case its prob cause you arent being as active.

best wishes

des
I too lost a bunch of weight while on them. I didn't eat nearly as much as when I wasn't taking them. Plus with all the energy they gave me I couldn't sit still.
I gained 30 pnds of narco was well .
i was on 200mg of oxy and the only time i would eat was while on them. however they did not give me energy, instead it wass all i could do to keep my eyes open. i lost a whole lot of weight though
I guess everyone's different...I have no appetite when I'm using and lose tons of weight.  
Well I gained weight as also! I wouldnt eat when i was high and then when i was the food tasted even better!  So i would eat more.... Isnt it wierd how everyone is different? dam I wish they would of made me NOT eat... LOL
I can gain weight either with or without using. I love to eat all the wrong things and too much of them and it is much easier to watch TV than workout. I stepped on the scales this morning and they groaned, so it back to eating less and moving more.
I too gained 20+. I stay active and I don't eat much but I think it affects the metabolisom.
If you find the true answer I would love to know.

Everyone than I "know" that is on them has gained at LEAST 30 lbs.  I do have a friend that got off them and she said once she started losing weight, she didn't want to take them anymore because she looked so much better.  Who knows?  All I know is they make my metabolism very slow.
For me, i lost weight while using...now i LOVE food...and have to really watch....
I guess everyone is different...
r2r
Yep, I always gain weight on them. One time I gained 30 pounds then lost most of it when I went off. Now I have gained about 7 and keep climbing. Very frustrating.

My guess is they slow your metabolism down and your heart rate so your not burning as much calories. Think of it as the opposite of a weight loss pill(which speeds up the heart rate to help you burn calories).
Initial weight loss is normal. We don't eat to make sure we don't interfere with the drugs potency. After a while though all of the acetaminophen slows down liver function which processes the fat in you diet. Addicts like to eat a lot of sweets and fatty foods. So you'll eventualy gain some weight (look at Elvis) and then you can't lose it.
i lost weight when i first started and then i leveled off and stayed there  my doc was very concerned for awhile.  i am just not hungry when i am taking them
I myself as a nurse gained at least 10 pounds while taking Norco. When i stopped taking them i eventually lost the weight starting four days after not taking them anymore. The Narco will cause a slow increase in the interstitial fluid in the cells. Some people are more vonerable than others. I only weigh 120 #s and was still active and maintained a well balanced diet and got up to 135 #'s. When i stopped taking Narco, within the first couple of days i went back down to 130 #'s. Some people dont gain or even lose weight,but majoirty of us people will.
ty now I know how to lose it lol
I was a gainer also 40lbs