Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Chantix

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Chantix

Hello everyone: I have a question. I am taking Loratabs and I want off. I also smoke and have gotten a perscription for Chantix. It is supposed to help me stop smoking. It releases dopamine slowly in your body to help you fight your cravings. My question is this: can Chantix also help with coming off of these pills? any advice will be very appreciated. I will post again to tell my story. I'm at work and wanted to ask real quick!

thanks again!
this is what I could find on chantix

About CHANTIX

A non-nicotine pill
CHANTIX™ (varenicline) is non-nicotine prescription medicine specifically developed to help adults quit smoking.

How is CHANTIX different from other smoking cessation products?

CHANTIX contains no nicotine, but it targets the same receptors that nicotine does. CHANTIX is believed to block nicotine from these receptors. It is the only prescription treatment of its kind.

Studies show: At the end of 12 weeks of CHANTIX, 44% were able to quit smoking. It also helped reduce the urge to smoke.

CHANTIX has been proven to be more effective in helping smokers quit than Zyban®. The average person in these studies had been a smoker for more than 24 years. The trials involved a mix of men and women who smoked on average 10 or more cigarettes a day.

I think its pretty much for smoking only but i guess ya never know.
Avis

Look into it somemore...it may have some application to other addictions...many drs are prescribing it "off-label" for alcohol additions and studies have shown that it is eefective in that area as well.  So, yours is an interesting question. My guess is that even if is shows some benefit for those looking to quit opiates, I doubt it would do much for the initial phase of w/d from pills. Good question though.  Do look into Chantix and Alcohol as a starting place...what you would do if you wanted to try it for alcohol or aome other substance is tell the Dr. you also smoke and want toi quit that too. That way he has a basis for writing the script....
I am taking chantix and was prescribed lortab for my back. I wonder if the chantix is making the lortab less effective