Chlorpromazine
Hello everyone, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the anti-psychotic drug Chlorpromazine Hydrochloride. I suffer with accute anxiety partly as a result of my methadone taper. My doctor had prescribed a short term course of the benzo clonazipam but said he couldn't prescribe it long term as he was worried about me becoming dependant. This is a shame because it really helped but the last thing either of us want is a benzo addiction to add to the methadone problem. He tried me on Trazadone but I couldn't take it due to the severe side-effects it caused. Anyway he consulted a psychiatrist collegue and he recommended a low dose of the chlorpromazine. At first I was reluctant as the thought of an anti-phycotic is a bit scary but I have decided to give it a try. I just wanted to know if anyone else had tried it and what their experiences were. God bless all, Graeme.
I have been prescribed anti-psychotics at times because they had antianxiety effects. I would not worry about the label--different medications can be used for different purposes. Good luck!
I tried the clonazapam and was on it for a couple of years and never got addicted to it.  It is an anti convulsive med.  So I wouldn't be freaked that the new one is anti psych.  I would worry seriously about weigt gain.  I put on some weight when I took mine.  
I can see where you are coming from in terms of anti-psychotic sounding scary but if the meds work then by all means, go for it!  
I have suffered from extreme anxiety and depression as well as panic attacks for years and I if I could find something to make that stop, I would relish it!