Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Chlorpromazine

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Chlorpromazine

Hello everyone, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the anti-psychotic drug Chlorpromazine Hydrochloride. I suffer with accute anxiety partly as a result of my methadone taper. My doctor had prescribed a short term course of the benzo clonazipam but said he couldn't prescribe it long term as he was worried about me becoming dependant. This is a shame because it really helped but the last thing either of us want is a benzo addiction to add to the methadone problem. He tried me on Trazadone but I couldn't take it due to the severe side-effects it caused. Anyway he consulted a psychiatrist collegue and he recommended a low dose of the chlorpromazine. At first I was reluctant as the thought of an anti-phycotic is a bit scary but I have decided to give it a try. I just wanted to know if anyone else had tried it and what their experiences were. God bless all, Graeme.
I have been prescribed anti-psychotics at times because they had antianxiety effects. I would not worry about the label--different medications can be used for different purposes. Good luck!
I tried the clonazapam and was on it for a couple of years and never got addicted to it.  It is an anti convulsive med.  So I wouldn't be freaked that the new one is anti psych.  I would worry seriously about weigt gain.  I put on some weight when I took mine.  
I can see where you are coming from in terms of anti-psychotic sounding scary but if the meds work then by all means, go for it!  
I have suffered from extreme anxiety and depression as well as panic attacks for years and I if I could find something to make that stop, I would relish it!