Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Chronic pain turned into opiate addiction

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Hi everyone.
    I have IC(interstitial Cystitis) and for a solid  year had pain all the time that I was not on meds. I was on lortab 5/500 and then put on norco 7.5/375. After a long road I found my main trigger for my bladder pain which is Red dye. It's in almost everything and it's very hard to avoid because it's considered a natural ingredient which doesn't always get listed on the nutritional facts. Also, as most that have had a bladder infection know, the first medicine you'll get a script for is pyridium which numbs the urethra and is great for pain. It also dyes the urine reddish brown with  you guessed it, red dye. So I am not a candidate for that medicine anymore. This made it pretty much standard that I'd receive pain meds whenever I had a flare or urinary pain. So for a long time I took the meds out of necessity. Then I began taking them out of habit. Now I have pretty much ended my IC pain through diet but I still take the meds and way more than is prescribed. I want to stop. I need to stop, but I am afraid that every time I pick up the script I'm going to want to revert. I need the medicine because of my condition so I wouldn't want to have the script taken away. I have tried a lot and their are very few reliable IC treatments that I can afford, and that do not contain dye. I also have a tramadol script and because of the opioid high I misuse them as well. I guess I'm hoping for some magic words or something. I feel like such a terrible person.
Your not a terrible person. We all misused our scripts after they quit working for us. We never dreamed when we took the first one we would end up here. You're blessed that you can control your pain with diet. You've come to the right place for help and understanding. If you don't need the pills for pain now don't pick up the script. You can always get it if you have a flare up. DON'T take the tramadol, they say that's harder to get off of. Check the Thomas recipe out at the bottom of this page Soak in hot baths with Epson salts.  They say they work wonders. Above all drink plenty of water and Gatorade! Watch a lot of funny movies anything to get your mind off things. Try to stay busy and get plenty of fresh air. Keep posting your feelings and we'll walk you through it. Everyone has been where you are and are rooting for you. God Bless
Hi Jess, and welcome to the forum! Tooter has given you some great advice. You most certainly are not a terrible person! Most everyone here started out as you did. Taking prescription pain pills for a legitamite medical reason, and then over time, lost control. Myself included. This is a wonderful place for advice and support. If you are ready to quit, we can help get you through it. I'm a little confused, are you wanting to quit? You say you need your prescription. I'm not sure. Be very careful with the Tramadol. It is much more difficult to get off of, and the withdrawal symptoms can be more severe and last longer. I would encourage you to read as much as you can on this site. It contains a ton of helpful information. Again, welcome, and I wish you the best. Take care, and keep posting with any questions you may have!
Hi Jess - There is nothing i can add that Sonrissa or Tooter has told you other than welcome & congrats on realizing you have an issue.  Many people do not take that step...its humbling.

I'm on day 11 and like you started with hydro for back & knee issues that still persist but i had to tell the doc no more rx's.  I just kept calling them in.   A lot of folks on here actually say their pain is better after getting of the meds.  I haven't gotten to that point but its still planning around the pills.

Good luck & keep checking in.
Thanks so much everyone. It is great to know that others have been where I am. I ran out of Meds a few days ago and because of how fast I take them will not get more for at least week. I agree the tramadol is worse. It's so much worse, yet the Dr.s will prescribe it much easier than the narcotics. The withdrawals are terrible. That's where I am now. The itchy achy feeling. Ugh. I really don't want to keep doing this, but there is a fear that I will have a flare and not have the meds. Then again I KNOW I will not stick to as needed with them. My tolerance of the meds is why I got to where I'm at and I know the regular dose of 7.5 is not going to relieve my pain. I will definitely look at the recipe and get the Epsom salt for soaking.  Night is the worst and I have been taking flexeril just to knock me out so I can rest and not feel the terrible RLS. I know that's not good but I get no euphoria or benefit from it so I don't think I'll abuse it.