Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Clonodine for painkiller withdrawal

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Clonodine for painkiller withdrawal

I recently discovered that my husband is addicted to prescription pain killers. I actually wrote in to this forum once before about the trust issue and how to cope with this major problem and Brian was kind enough to respond to me - thank you Brian, your comments were very helpful.  I have been reading this almost everyday and have found it so comforting to know that there are others out there going through the same thing.  I've also learned alot about the drug, addiction, and recovery.  However, I am still having a hard time dealing with it, especially trusting him again. He's lied to me since I've known him (3 years), and we only got married about 6 months ago.

Anyway, my question today has to do with clonodine. When I confronted him about his problem, he decided that he could quit on his own and weaned himself off. He was clean for about 7 weeks but had a relapse when he took 4 pills at a weak moment. Thankfully he was honest with me and told me that he did it. Of course I was furious, but got over it rather quickly when he finally realized that he needed professional help. So, he called counsellors and went to his family doctor who prescribed a clonodine patch. My questions are this:

1. I know that clonodine is used to ease the withdrawal symptoms, but by only taking four at one time, would he even go through withdrawal again?

2. What is clonodine and how does it help the symptoms? I read that it lowers blood pressure but he said that in the first few days it actually made him feel hyper. He's been on it a week and hasn't felt much different.

At this point, I think it is mostly mental for him now. I am very happy that he has sought professional help, because there is only so much I can do to support him... in between my occasional fits of anger, mistrust, suspicion, etc. I am trying to be as supportive as I can but I'm still having a hard time forgiving him for lying to me for so long.

So, if anyone knows anything about clonodine or has any insights into coping with a loved one who is addicted, please write back.

Thank you.
I UNDERSTAND YOUR'E ANGER FOR HIM LYING BUT FROM MY OWN EXPERIENCE, FINALLY CONFIDING IN MY HUSBAND WAS ONE OF THE HARDEST THINGS I'VE EVER DONE.WHY?  I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT HE WOULD THINK OF ME-ADDICTION IS A DISEASE AND SHOULD BE TREATED AS ONE.  IT DOESN'T, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, MEAN THE ADDICTED PERSON IS "BAD"-TRUST ME THEY FEEL WORSE ABOUT IT THEN YOU DO!
I KEPT MY "SECRET" TO MYSELF FOR MANY YEARS AND IT IS HELL DEALING WITH IT ALONE! ONCE I TOLD MY HUSBAND, HE WAS VERY SUPPORTIVE AND I FELT A HUGE WEIGHT LIFTED OFF MY SHOULDERS.(I HAVE CHRONIC PAIN AND WAS NOT TAKING PAIN PILLS JUST FOR A HIGH).  YOU HAVE TO TRY AND BE AS STRONG AS YOU CAN AND KEEP SUPPORTING HIM.  IT WILL NOT GO AWAY OVERNIGHT. REMEMBER-DON'T JUDGE ANYONE UNTIL YOU HAVE WALKED A MILE IN THEIR SHOES.
Hi.  If your husband was truly clean for 7 weeks, taking 4 pills would not make him go through withdrawal again.  What it would do would be to reactivate the cravings and psychological addiction (things which clonidine has NO effect on).  Hence it makes no sense to me why he would need clonidine.  I hate to say this and I may be wrong BUT what the hell, I'll say it anyway...I think he wasn't clean for 7 weeks.  My guess is he was using and was afraid to tell you (look how you reacted to the 4 pills, not that I blame you but...).  Only someone who had been using for a while would need clonidine.  With respect to clonidine making someone hyper, everyone I know who has used it is zonked out from it.  You are right to be suspicious.  Most addicts relapse several times before they finally stop.  It's ok to be suspicious, just keep it to yourself as much as possible.  He needs to feel supported in order to really recover.  Although he needs to rebuild your trust, the more he feels you don't trust him the more he is likely to relapse.
I am dealing with my daughter's opiate addiction. I tend to think Brian is right about your husband possibly using during his so called clean time. The reason I agree is because I had on several occasions believed she was detoxed and she was getting cloindine from the doctor. She told me it helped keep her calm and assisted her in not relapsing... now I know for sure ( she has since admitted this) that she had been using and was using the clonidine for withdrawl (withdrawal). Don't accuse your husband though. No possible good can come out of it. I do want to warn about clonidine. It can lower the vital signs and kill a person if they use it in higher amounts than prescribed. My daughter accidentally overdosed on it.. not to get high, it wont't do that... but to get more relief from her withdrawl (withdrawal) she took far too many and was at death's door in the ER. It's a poor idea for suffering people to hold their own medications in cases where they can become irrational. I did not know a patch was available till I read your post. This would have been the better choice. Thanks for mentioning it. Good luck... it's a rough ride in the sidecar !!
Thank you for your responses, Shelly, Brian and Brighty. I will take your advise and not voice my suspicions. If he was using all that time, then he was. Nothing I can do about it now. The important thing is that he is getting help. He told his whole family about it (1 brother, 4 sisters, mom...), and that helps tremendously, both for him and me. He has alot of people supporting him (and me)and I think the thought of disappointing all of them is helping to keep him straight. And now I have some people to talk to to help me through it as well. I will just support him as much as I can. Reading this forum has really helped me understand this disease and deal with this the best way I can.

But like Brighty said, it's a rough ride in the sidecar...boy is that true! I admire your strength in dealing with your daughter's addiction and giving her the support she needs. I have to remember that strenghth when I start to get angry and suspicious.

Thank you again. Good luck to all of you.
Well, I read your comments and I have been looking for an answer to help me through withdrawls.  I had been taking my best friends pills for about 5 months until I ripped my back muscles playing soccer, then I had injections and was administered 3 different types of painkillers, which I proceeded to snort rather than ingest.  Follwing it down with bottles of brandy and burbon-whiskey I was killing myself, and I thought of death every day.  I am currently going through withdrawls, and I will admit that I have lied on several occasions to my fiancee.  It got so bad that I was snorting asprin just so that I had something up my nose.  Nightmares and coke dreams are frequent and they immediately send me into fits of fright and anger.  I want to rip my fiancee's skin apart sometimes because when I am drug deprived I am so angry, and it hurts so bad.  He is so understanding, and loving - I find that during withdrawls a part of me is thanking him for helping me and another part of me hates him for helping me too.  I realize that this is a disease and that I can get through this with the Lord's grace and my fiancee's support, I am strong enough...it's just that sometimes it hurts so bad...
I totally understand what you are going through, just be there for each other, and your relationship will get stronger too.
Thank you for your time,
Toni Lynn Sailors
Thank you for your time,
Toni Lynn Sailors
Please talk to your doc about this.  You may need a longer acting narcotic, or some help detoxing with a drug such as buprenorphine to help you.  Please do not take your life over something so treatable.  Good luck.
Hi, my name is drew.  I think i am addicted to painkillers, although I'm not sure.  I first took Lortab about four years ago.  I ripped my finger off on a chain link fence.  I really like the euphoria of the drug.  I think I started to abuse them because I was extremely depressed.  I later was diagnosed as Bi-polar 2.  During the 7 months of prescriptions I abused them daily, but as my perscription wore off I just stop taking them.  I didn't have any withdrawl (withdrawal) althouth any time I could get them I would.  My depression has worsened sense then, I was ok for 2 1/2 years and then it seemed i became tolerant to the antidepressants.  I tired taking my life and then i found medicene that worked for a while, then those faded as well.  I was in a state of utter emotional pain and agony to the point was cutting myself to try and release endorphins.  My Psyciatrist put me on lortab to block the pain receptors in my brain in order to get rid of the pain.  it works, although I have tried to quit and I seem to have the same pain that i experienced before the lortab.  I'm really afraid for my life, the agony could force me to take my own life.  I've been takin anywhere from 2-5 a day, somtmes even 6, they are 10's.  please tell me how i can quit, would gradually decreasing the dose eventually stop this dependency.  Also I don't know if im addicted or if I just don't have the right meds.  I don't want this to bury my life.  Please help me!!!!!
I am totally screwed up..  I am so addicted to pain killers that it is ruining my life!  I take mostly oxycodone, but anything that I can get my hands on usually..  i have a great fiancee, but she is fed up with my ****, and I don't blame her. It is costing us tons of money, and it is ruining our lives. I take anywhere from 200-240mg of oxycodone per day.  Withdrawls are the worst.  Since I am not going through a doctor to get these drugs anymore, I feel I have no-where to turn.  I went to the ER in a moment of clarity trying to seek help, but since my blodd didn't have a certain amount of narcotic in it they wouldnt even treat me, and help.  One Doctor felt understanding and decided at the last minute to give me a clonodine patch, but it didnt do anything, and I continue to use and abuse.
look up SUBOXONE. it is a drug that blocks receptors in the brain. you have to be in total withdrawl (withdrawal) for 24 hrs but as soon as the doc. gives you the first one the withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms disappear. you can't get high off of them, and if you slip  and take your opiate of choice, you won't get high .there are only a few docs. allowed to perscribe this treatment.it helped my husband and brother. see what you can find out. good luck and GOD BLESS.
What pain killers was your husband abusing?? Was it Oxycotin, vicodin, morphine, etc.....?? That will make a BIG difference. I've withdrawled off of all of them and Vicodin isn't NOTHING compared to the withdrawl (withdrawal) of Oxycotin. They are all the same terrible feeling; but some seem to upset your stomach and bowels....while others seem to give me blood pressure headaches and anxiety issues. So what he's been taking makes a big difference (I'm no Dr. but atleast in my experience I feel or think so) Also, I took clonodine. My Dr. had me on Clonodine and Suboxone at the same time. It probably would have worked IF I WANTED IT TO. I'm starting to feel that it's about 50/50. Half of it's the withdrawl (withdrawal).....the other half is the mental part..the cravings, the habitual use while doing your usual routine, and association makes a big part of it as well. If your husband is hanging out with users....it will make his chance of re-lapsing again double atleast. I personally have had to stay away from several of my old friends who haven't made the choice to seek help and get off of this life as a junky...it feels like death row. I know I'm too weak rite now (9 days into my detox at the Methadone clinic) to be around people who would use rite in front of me. I just won't put myself in that situation. But I would say that CLONODINE works excellent. The pressure headaches from high blood pressure were TERRIBLE. But I would say that Clonodine alone isn't going to quite do the trick. I've had a few friends who got prescribed Clonodine alone (including myself) and without Suboxone or Methadone to back it up....I HONESTLY feel like your husband may struggle. He's been off for 3 weeks but I was off for 6 mths in jail and still re-lapsed. It's just something to look into. Personally I like the Methadone so far but I'm thinking of going to the suboxone after several people have responded to my forum and told me the negatives about Methadone. Another IMPORTANT factor is that you must BE THERE FOR HIM. Now isn't the time to throw it in his face that he lied to you. I know that him lying was wrong.....but believe me HE HAS ENOUGH ON HIS PLATE FOR NOW and an arguement may throw him back into remission and cause him to relapse not to mention HIS ATTITUDE WILL PROBABLY BE BAD....including a short fuse on his temper and VERY irretable while he's going through treatment and detox. Just be there for him and try to avoid conflict. I should know first hand because my pain killer addiction costed me my new marriage as well. I hope it all works out for the two of you. Good luck Kerri.
I am a opiate user vicodin is my drug of choice. I am going to start taking clonodine 2/10/2008. I am so tired of being high on this stuff. It is a horrible addiction. It gives me headaches, bad mood swings, anger, sick feeling, I just want to stop. My husband puts up with a lot. My sisters don't know, or at least have never said anything to me. I know how the people who have wrote in on this site. I just want to be able to go back to work and pay my bills and live normal again, I can relate to all the people on this site. I just wanted to share my feelings.
thank you,
Terry
My fiance started taking Clonidine last Monday.  He doesn't take as much as I think he should.  The doctor put him on .1 mg once a day.  I think he would need more at 230lbs. to keep the withdrawl (withdrawal) under control.  Now what he says...he says that they kind of make him hyper.  I suspect that he's attempting to taper hisself off of them but not telling me.  I'm not sure their as miraclous as he says.  I havn't seen any withdrawl (withdrawal)...I'm worried.
wheree do i start. well im addicted to pain medication i used to get mad at my girlfriend  because she used fibermyalsia as en exuse to get more medication she wioll not admit she has a prob. about 2 years ago i gave up and started taking her mreds with her i quit cold turkey twice. it was horrible but i sucked it up i am now using again since aug of 2007.  i just recently left her and im trying to get clonodine i only use now to stop withdrawls pain medication has ruined my life. i now my ex will end up dead from it and it hurts but i want to get better.but there is no way i can do it cold turkey again .  i chew on parts of fetynal patches to stop withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms my ex gets 60 10mg loratabs and 375mg oof fetynal a week that to me is too much i just hope clolnodine will help .  once i get threw this i willl do whatever it takes never to use again
I have been on 400mg of oxycontin per day for a year. Before that I was taking Norco 10/325 and vicodin 5/500 for over 7 years. The difference between addiction and dependency is whether or not there is chronic pain. My problem "Complex Regional Pain Syndrome" was diagnosed only 3 months ago. It stems from my left foot being torn off my body and put back on. It is a nerve damage problem and extremely painful to the point where walking was impossible at times.
To all of you please understand that a lot of the time the doctors do this to people for lack of knowing what else to do. If you have chronic pain keep looking for a doctor that can help determine the cause not just mask it and create another problem. The best thing for a relationship is to take the time and help your SO get the help they need if possible. Then you as the person not on narcotics dispense them to your SO.
I have lost everything because of my problem and the woman I loved left me and the business we created. I just started taking Clonodine and it helps, what we all need is support and love. In many cases this problem gets out of hand because it is not managed by someone who can. The worst thing in the world is to be abandoned and left to deal with this when your mind is not in tune.
I cannot speak for everyone but I know how it feels and what would have helped me. I just did not know to ask and was afraid to ask the woman I loved. This problem is so serious and I am working on a website for all of us. I have been on prescription narcotics for 8 of the last 13 years and it becomes normal, but you are not normal. People do not know what is wrong and we think no one notices.
Get away from it if you can. Ask the people that love you for help, if they love you they will stop and help. Do not stop asking for help this is not a way of life, keep asking and keep trying. Do not let your life slip by and lose the ones you love.
Clonidine safely reduces the blood pressure/keeps it from rising; Withdrawals are mostly experiencing elevated blood pressure rates and that's where the Clonidine comes in; so you're not feeling the withdrawal symptoms because your blood pressure isn't sky high; with high blood pressure comes the anxiety attacks, and so forth; with no high/elevated blood pressure, no anxiety attacks..
The Catapres patch made me sooo tired and weak.. but didn't experience the withdrawals from stopping the Ultram/Tramadol either.. (My blood pressure, from the withdrawals, raised about twice the rate it usually is, and my heart couldn't handle it and not only that- I have two smaller children at home and there's NO WAY I was letting them see me WIG OUT)
If he's only taking .1mg of Clonidine, there's no need to taper from it.. if he was taking a higher dose, than yes- he would..
Hope that helps.. lol
I have been an addict since the age of 14. I am now 41, and I'm still struggling with addiction. I went from shooting heroin, to eating any & all pain pills I can find.I found a doctor this morning that is giving me clonodine tomorrow and suboxone starting Wednesday. I have a husband that I have betrayed and 2 children that I have disappointed through all this.But I haven't given up hope on myself and they haven't given up on me either! If you are an addict.....just keep trying!! If you are the loved one.......it's not about you. Or it's nothing personal....it's an illness that needs help.Lying is part of addiction....so is relapse!! We truly don't wake up & say I think I'll lie to my family today......we just have to get high and don't even consider the consequences that will come with it!!  Any way....I've got a rough couple of weeks ahead....I just wanted to share!!
Hi there, I just wanted to share my story....  I have been on and off or pain meds for nearly 6 years now and consistently have been on Methadone for a year now.  I also take 320mg of Oxy a day, Soma and Norco.  All prescribed by the same doctor.  The methadone has made my appetite odd and I have gained nearly 30 lbs, making me very depressed as if I wasn't depressed before!  The withdrawals from methadone are the worst thing I have ever experienced in my life.  I used to think that I wanted to die when w/drawing from my Norco, but Methadone nearly makes you feel as though you are dead, but your eyes are open to watch it and feel it!  It's terrible.  I was on 120mg's a day and have been slowly tapering down and am now at 90mg's but I am scared to go any lower and originally my doc and I's plan was to get me down to at least 30mg's  a day!  I am writing not only for new friends in the same boat, but I wonder if any of you have experienced sexual side effects from Methadone or maybe Suboxone?  I have never been able to climax during sex the entire time I have been on Methadone!  I hate it, my  boyfriend hates it because he thinks it is him.  I know it's not.  Also, has any gained severe weight like I did?  Has anyone been successful in getting the weight off?  I have had gastric bypass and have been skinny as a bone for 6 years and this is really odd that I still eat like a bird but have gained 30 lbs?  Any comments and help would be greatly appreciated.   Also, ask me anything you'd like.  I am truly a friend and have been through lots of B.S. with narcs!
Needs Advice in Idaho,
Riss
Sorry to hear what you've been going through. I don't know what the weight gain is all about. However, I don't know about your medical history or other meds you may be taking. Perhaps there is a connection there. I don't think it is due directly to the meds you mentioned (check Soma). Plus, considering the bypass. Not sure. Need more pieces of the puzzle.

To my knowledge, there are no sexual side effects specific to methadone or suboxone. But, read the inserts to be sure. Your illnesses, addiction, other meds, etc. may be the culprit.

Again, I don't know your situation but your post made me wonder why on earth a doc is prescribing both oxy and norco. They are both opiates. Hmmm...I don't know. Are you sure this doc is doing the right thing - or are you sucked in because you want access to the drugs. Sometimes, you gotta make a decision - on and off for 6 years? Why not make the commitment to yourself and get into recovery. You may see some of your other concerns improving. Good luck whatever you decide.
i was a drug abuser for several years although was not too fond of opiates, I was in a car wreck and hospitalized for 3 months, while in the hospital i was on many pain med including morphine and fentanyl, sp?.  I stayed away from drugs for nearly 6 months after getting out of the hospital going through the withdrawals from prescribed meds and thinking i was "cured", but i took an OC one day and now have been on pain pills for 5 months.  i have managed to hide it from family and i dont want to dissappoint them.  ive tried to quit but it hurts, any suggestions as to what to do
You apparently haven't read up on Methadone.  It does cause weight gain and when I gained the weigh I was only on Methadone.  The reason I get Norco and Oxy is because the oxy is strong enough to cover break through pain and the Norco acts as an anti-depressant for me per my doctor and my psycologist.  The Methadone blocks the Norco from even binding to my pain receptors.  I am looking for someone who has gained weight on Methadone like me and several others in Methadone treatment.  I am not the only one.  And there is not a surgery to cure my TOS, I will likely be on pain management the rest of my life.  If you do not suffer chronic pain, then you wouldn't know.  Sorry, but my biggest pet peeve is people who haven't been in my position just telling me that I should wake up one day and say you know what, I am going to stop taking the one thing that makes my shoulder, spine, neck and arm function!  
Thanks for your concern, but you obviously don't get it.
Sarcasm, hostility, negativity - they will isolate you. I am sorry for your pain and I wish you and your pain treatment the best.
r2h is right, both of those drugs are opiates. Norco is vicodin with less tylenol, nothing more. It is hydrocodone and tylenol. Vicodin, loretab, and others.
What didn't r2h get? So if norco is being blocked my methadone, wouldn't the oxy as well since they are are both opiates?
It really is that simple, and that was the point r2h was trying to make.

So the logic is, you're being given Norco as an anti-depressant, yet the methadone is blocking it from working. So if it is blocked, how is it working as an anti-depressant?
I am really curious as I have never heard this before.
From what I have read, everyone has a common problem; they want a quick fix to avoid the suffering of withdrawal...and there is none. Think about what you have just done to your body. Your brain has stopped producing nature endorphins because it's received it through pill form. Now it has to regulated itself and begin the reproduction process, which takes time.

If you are going through withdrawal, deal with it. You made your bed, you pissed in it, now you're sleeping in it. Sorry if it's tough love but that's the way it is. Understand that you have done this to yourself. Do not expect people to feel sorry for you when you are going through withdrawal. What’s good about these forums is that they are very informative and coordinate support from other addicts. You are an addict; admit it and you have begun your recovery process. I've been reading postings all night about people who don't know what to do and they hate the feeling of withdrawal and want it to stop. I know it *****, I know it's painful and there is no immediate medication.

I've gone through withdrawal several times from opiate and opioid addiction. It is the most difficult task of my entire life. But if you sulk around and feel sorry for yourself, the withdrawal is even worse. What I've done that's been most beneficial is exercise. Even if you don't run, do it; your body will produce those nature endorphins at a faster pace, resulting in a "softer withdrawal." Drink water, take NyQuill at night, get your hands on some Xanax. I've found that Xanax or Valium help with my withdrawal because it calms me down and I don't get such anxiety. Smoke a little pot if you have to, anything to get your mind off of withdrawal. Addiction, to me, is 60% mental and 40% physical.

The worst part about withdrawal is not being able to sleep. Tossing and turning all night is the worst feeling and I would actually leave the apartment at 3am and walk around the city. I always found that if you stay busy, forcing yourself to do tasks that you would normally do on drugs, it helps. I know it ***** and you're not motivated but you have to do it. I used to do everything on opiates; they motivate me. From my experience, I don't nod out on dope or oxy or vic's, I would do a little and go clean my apartment for example. Then, when I didn't have any drugs, I wouldn't do **** except sit around feeling sorry for myself. That is the absolute worst thing you can do. Drugs are very habit forming and please realize that you have to mentally break drug forming habits.

I've also found that when I cannot sleep, if you conduct research about your addiction/withdrawal and learn from other people, then you realize that you are not alone. This is very important; support from others is critical.

So, to sum up:
1. Exercise
2. Force Yourself to Keep Busy
3. Continue to read about addiction
Thank you creepah,

you obviously know what you are talking about!!! and i thank you for stepping up and expressing what you feel is the best and obviously the most effective way to get through these tuff times!!

I myself stated taking pain meds for about 10 years now, and it started from having to have full knee replacement surgery my freshman year in college, where i was on a scholarship.  If anyone has been through that type of surgery they tell you 6 to 8 months before you can go back to playing sports, however if anyone has played college sports, espically on a full ride, you know that is not the answer!! I was back on the feild with in 2 months, playing w/a volleyball knee pad and a donjoy brace to support my leg.  From that point, i would get injections into my knee almost every day before a game, and i would get handed a handful of pills and they would shoot me out to the field!!
Obviously you could only imagine where this winded up w/ me, ive been through 3 more knee surgeries, and about 2 years ago things got a lot worse.  I never really complained about pain before, until about 2 years ago when i started doing brazillian jujitsu.. well needless to say fighting and grappling w/ someone one day i tweaked my back out so bad that i lost all feeling in my right leg... went to the doctor ,and apparently i had 2 herninated disc w/ a pinch nerve, i was 25 years old! I went to neurologist, pain specialist, acupuncture, phsyical therapy, i tired it all!!

and the only thing i ever got from any doctor was medication and a "run-around" about my injury.  Alot of Dr.s told me that i was too young to have surgery and that if i ever wanted to be an active person agian that it was the wrong move at my age!! so they just pumped me full of more and more medicine! Its been 2 years since this... and my addiction to pain med has grown so freaking high that its ridiculous to maintain a daily routine anymore!! Taking pain meds for 10 years, my body was always had a high tolerence, so to maintain this back injury (which ive have broken almost everyone bone, tore ligamints, muscle, have had 11 concusions, etc etc).... so to maintain my actual pain i was taking a crazy amount of pills!
Recently i told myself (for the 2nd time) i am done w/ this sh*t... and i am currently going through my 2nd week of being free from any medication.  my 1st attempt i took myself to florida and sat by pool side and smoked weed everyday, and at night took some kind of sleeping pill or somethign to get me through the night.  I would say it was deff a hard week, but after the 1st week i found it to get much easier!! for me it was mind of matter!!
I did relapse, because the plan i had last time didnt work and i had no other idea to do at the time... So i started back up w/ the pills agian.  Now i was easily taking 60 norco a day along w/ at least 25 somas.  If it wasnt that i was taking aproxi 25 roxicodone 30mg tabs also with at lesat 25 somas. so I completey understand where all of you are coming from!!
However last week, between the money the lieing, and all the BS that comes along with all this ****, i told myself i am done!! I am currently on suboxone, and like i explained the 1st week was deff not easy but i found it to be much more easy keeping myself busy and doing things to try and speed the process of any endorphine process to grow back!!
I am also on litacane patches as well for the pain in my back, they help only a little bit, but at this point in my life, i am almost enjoing myself suffer through this, to remind myself this is NOT the way i want to live!! Nothing comes easy in life and theres never a quik fix!!
The first thing i did was explain to all the important people in my life what has been going on in my life and ill be honest i didnt get much love or support for it, i was kinda lookd down apon as weak, and how could i let this happen to myself!! So trust me when i say i know what tough is, because imagine how you feel now or how you did, and then imagine the closes people in your life, your girl your father, your mother, brothers friends, looking at you in disgrace!! the 1st 2 days where the worst and i basically took off from work and laid in bed all day depressd... till the 3rd day, and i told myself im not taking this sh*t anymore forced myself to get up and went for a bike ride.  
Today i feel great, and i am down to barely taking a 1/4 of suboxone a day. I was prescribed to take three 8mg suboxones a day for the 1st week, andn then 2 tablets the 2nd week and so on, however, im taking only what i need to get by. Some may not think that is the smartest thing to do but this is the way i am choosing to do it, and my idea to get myself to a clean lifestyle asap!!
Thank you for all your comments and allthe post ive read, it has helpd me through so much these past 2 weeks, since this is my 1st post! You all were a huge inspiration to me to just suck it up and get through it, everyday gets a little better!! just remember that!! !
Good luck to all, i wish the best for everyone!!!
and trust me i wouldnt wish those withdrawals on my worst enemy!!!
Godbless...
DJ

hi i came across this today and it really helps me i have been addicted to oxycontin fentanyl patches and methadone for a very long time. today was the last of my methadone and i am trying very hard to quit once again. i have clonodine but im not sure how much and for how long i should take it. my doctor also prescribed me naloxone and phenobarbital together to detox quickly. i havent taken any yet, cause im not sure how i will react. if anyone can give me advice i would really appreciate it
This is an old post. So, copy your and start a new one at the top of page. (Post a Question) button
hi there my suggestion is that you read up on the pills that you plan on taking.  first of all clonodine is a high blood pressure medications that is very effective in helping with withdrawals.  I have taken them before...now phenobarbital is to prevent seizures on people who suffer from epilepsy and i have also taken them,  for withdrawals, but i wonder what part the naloxone plays in all this because, that can take you into immediate withdrawals if you still have certain opiates in your system. right people?if im wrong please correct me, but i am pretty sure that is what its for. Just please make sure the clonodine  is compatible with the other stuff . you might not want to mix the stuff,  I would try the clonodine first and give your body time to get rid of any opiates then after about 12 to 14 hours,never mind i just noticed you were taking methadone also, yeah do some research or better yet call your local pharmacist, you dont have to give your name, just ask them,  im tyring to remember when i was on methadone over 12 years ago they had mentioned a drug that the hospitals give to people when they overdose and that reverses the effects of methadone and things like that,  i'm thinking it was naloxone or could it be naltrazone, cant remember.  my point is this, my friend was using methadone and tried to quit by taking suboxone which contains naloxone but since she still had high amounts of methadone she went into horrible withdrawals that is why people have to wait 2 days when going from methadone to suboxone also they have to taper to a low dose at least 30mgs.  please dont risk taking the naloxone if you have recently taken methadone, you would probably be better of with the clonodine.  I hope you read this and post here soon, becasude i will be worried about you
thank you so much for replying. I was on suboxone last june then weened myself off and felt fine but since then i got back on oxy. in a day i was doing 2 to 3 oxy 80mg,12 -14 30mg percocet, and fentanyl patches. ive been off everything cold turkey except my methadone  for 2 weeks. today was my last dose of methadone. i could easily get a prescription for my dones, but i want to get off everything. i have a very high tolerance.my doctor said for me to take the naloxone and it would put me in complete withdrawl (withdrawal), and the phenobarb would help me sllep through the worst part of it. you are correct, the hospitals do give naloxone to patients who have overdosed and it pretty much brings them back from death. im so sick of living this life,you know im just sooo tired. i think with me when i go through withdrawls i dont eat wich makes me feel way worse. last time i went cold turkey from my methadone i went from 118 to 97 pounds in a matter of 2 weeks. it just makes me feel better that i can talk to people. once again thank you i appreciate it
Hi I am hooked on vicodin and I have begun a process of weaning myself off.  I was taking 30 a day (5/500) and I have cut that in half.  I am hoping to cut the dose every couple of days.  I am most afraid of the insomnia more than anything.  I was wondering if the clonodine helps with that and how much should I take?
I am hoping to start yet another one of my cold turkey detoxes. I take about 60mg of oxycodone per day. I am dreading the withdrawal symptoms, and was wondering if anyone has any advice or tips as to ease the process. I cannot get a script for anything as I don't have insurance, so if there are any medications that can help, especially over the counter medications, I would greatly appreciate the advice. I was told that hot baths are a must, yet I've never tried this.

Just want to wish everyone out there who's battling with addiction the best of luck, courage, and strength.  
This is a very old post...Go to the top and try to start your own, it will help you alot...Go to where it says health pages, and thomas reciepe, it will help., and yes hot bath are A must!!!
r2r
I have been addicted to Lortab for about a year or so - it is gradually getting worse - so that I am now taking about 15 per day. I have 2 young girls and a semi supportive spouse. I have clonidine 0.1 mg a mixture of xanax, valium, phenergan, immodium, and some vitamins. I am going to try to keep a journal the spouse is supposed to help me mainly by keeping the girls. I have to stop - I have to deal with the physical part first then deal with the mental - not both at the same time. I think I am prepared I just need to know how to take the clonidine!!?? Also should I expect to have to go to the ER? My husband says that everyone he has talked to has had to go to the ER during withdrawals!  I dont wont to have to go to the ER! If i do it will prob. be in another town I don't want to risk seeing anyone I know in a small town.   I wish someone would put day by day their experiences - I am so ready to do it but I am just so scared!!  I am scared of dying  and I am scared of terrifying my children. I am so scared of the unknown of not being in control. After I get through this I will never be addicted to anything the rest of my life. I hate it worse than anything in the world. This is how I imagine life after u have lost a very close loved one. I feel like I have been grieving for 6 mo., like someone or something has died and I have finally figured it out - it is my soul. This is the Devil.Thank the Lord I am a Christian - I will have my Bible right beside me and the first place I am going when I get thru this is to Church! I can not wait to seek
Gods forgiveness with a pure Spirit. Thank God for his amazing Grace and once I get thru this I am going to spend the rest of my life helping others with this problem!!!! I am keeping a strict journal to help others!!
Just wanted to let you know that you should start your own post. Sometimes when you post to a older thread it tends to get overlooked. At the top of the page click on "ask a question". You could just copy and paste what you just typed. Doing this will ensure that everyone will see your post. There are so many wonderful and caring people on this forum that will not judge. You will get some great advice and also make some great friends along the way.
As for the clonodine, you need to be very careful with it. It is a very strong blood pressure medication so your blood pressure should be constantly monitored while taking it. Was it prescribed by your doctor? If so, he/she should have told you how to take it. We are not allowed to give advice on how to take medication. It is against the forum rules and the post will be deleted by the med help mods.
As far as having to go to the er, you shouldn't have to. Withdrawals will not kill you. Granted, you will feel very uncomfortable but you will make it through. I once went cold turkey and was taking around 20 or more 10mg hydros. The worst lasted about 3 or 4 days and day 5 seemed to be the turning point. I still feel 90% of it is mental. If you think you are going to feel like crap, you will feel like crap!
If you look in the health pages you will find the amino acid protocol or the thomas recipe. It lists some vitamins and supplements that can help your mind and body get back on track a bit faster. Also be sure to eat healthy and drink plenty of good fluids. I can't stress exercise enough! I know it may seem impossible to muster up the energy to do so, but force yourself. Make sure you don't lay around all day thinking about how miserable you feel. You have to keep occupied. Try reading a good book, watch some funny movies, do a puzzle, any kind of hobby to keep your mind elsewhere. I once worked 12 hour days, 7 days a week while going through withdrawals. It was tough but I think it really helped by not giving me a chance to dwell on it.
Most importantly, stay mentally strong. You have to want this more than anything. Tell yourself every second of every day that failure is not a option! Many people have done it in the past and many are currently going through it. Be sure to get on here and post, read posts, and answer others posts even if it's just a few words of encouragement. Go through this forum and read away. You will learn so much and realize you are not alone. Also be sure to post every chance you get to give you something to look back on just in case you ever get the urge to use again. It will remind you of the fight you fought. This is one fight that you will win if you want it bad enough and I can tell from your post that you do!
Just hang in there and take it a day at a time. Know that each day will be a little better than the last. I'm pulling for ya!!
Best of luck!
Brian
Wow, I am going through the withdrawal of 10mg and 1 oxycocet 4 times a day. The doctor at the emergency gave me clonidine and 60 tabs of tylenol 3 and sent me on my way. I also have a diagnosis of Bipolar. I moved from Ontario to Alberta. My doctor gave me a 3 month prescription until I found a doctor here. The first doctor I seen would not consider me as I am on the narcotic medication. I have been on these meds, same dosage for about 9 years. I was able to stop during a manic episode without any withdrawal probably due to the adreneline I was feeling no pain, so I stopped and felt no withdrawal.. When I came back to self, my pain was intolerable. I worked with my doctor on trying to get on non narcotic pain medication. An excess of Tylenol can cause liver damamge. Ultimately the previous I returned on the previous dosage. I have never abused my medication and was insulted and mortified when I was treated like an addict. I was ok with getting off the oxycontin with help and perhaps try something else again which is non narcotic. When I saw the doctor today, he assumed that I was there for narcotic meds and literally screamed at me that he WILL NOT give me pain medication. I just moved here because I am going to be a grand mother. I had a great job, a great doctor to come here and receive this treatment.  

I was hoping I could get information on how long it takes for the withdrawals to end. I am just finishing up a new contract with work and have an interview on Thursday for another.  I get why doctos are so afraid of prescribing. Horrible when they refuse to see you even if you are ok with trying to get off the meds they are so afraid of. I believe if I was going to get "addicted" I would have been by now. Someone should tell them that not everyone abuses and they should have more compassion with people that need help with getting off the meds if they refuse to prescribe.    I have been on the same dosage for close to 9 years and it still works for me. The medication simply took the hair pulling pain away and I grew a huge tolerance to pain. I believe with some help I may be able to manage without the Oxycontin but where is it ethical that doctors won't give you the time of day or even help with this process.

By reading the above, I can see why there is concern with this type of medication. I am grateful I don't have to withdraw from more that I do. Can someone tell me how long it took them to get through. Perhaps they need to set up pain management clinics that do not prescribe narcotics but will help with pain management instead of leaving us at the hands of paranoid gods who see everyone as an addict.